PDA

View Full Version : Need help with CH Pro Pedals - analog to USB?

fafnir
05-02-2005, 05:25 PM
I just got a new Dell 4700HT computer with integrated sound. I have tried to install 2 different PCI sound cards - primarily because i need the 15 pin game port to run my CH Pro Pedals - and the computer refuses to detect the cards (won't let me install drivers either). When I ask Dell support their answer is "well, the sound is integrated."

Can anyone offer suggestions OTHER THAN buying a new set of Pro Pedals (for over a hundred dollars). Are there any analog to USB adapters I can buy? Is there such a thing as a PCI card that has nothing but a 15-pin gameport on it? Help? (I now own 1 set of Thrustmaster rudder pedals that I can't use and 2 sets of CH Pro Pedals that I can't use because they're analog!)

Thanks

sgtspoon
05-02-2005, 05:49 PM
even with intergrated sound [all mobo's have intergrated sound usually these days] you should still be able to install a damn sound card. man, that company sucks!

but barring going through the whole sound card installation thingy with you, [which we still can do if you want to] Radio shack sells an analog to usb adapter that works great. it's only like 15 bucks. I believe that others with the CH pedals have used it succesfully without a hitch, if memory serves me correctly..

so try that and return the sound cards, or try that and we'll help you install the sound cards if your want them as you actual sound cards...

I find it's still better to use the adapter than trying to plug em in as analog...

fafnir
05-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I tried the RadioShack adapter, but it didn't seem to see the pedals. I tried all four settings (JS1, JS2, Wheels, and Gamepad). Have other people used them succesfully with CH Pro Pedals.

I've installed sound cards before and never had a problem. I don't know why this computer is so damn finicky. It doesn't detect the card at all. Could it be the pin configuration? Does it have to be the right bit value? (I.E. 16-bit, 32-bit?)

I've been buying these cheap cards off of eBay because none of the new cards have gameports built into them. Still, like i said, I've installed these things before with no problem. One helper at Dell suggested updating my bios.

tim1
05-02-2005, 11:20 PM
when you disable your onboard sound you need to
also check and see if it is reserving an irq (7 i think).
release the irq and that may make the new sound
card work.

fafnir
05-02-2005, 11:57 PM
I never got to the point where i disabled the onboard sound. Could that be the problem? How do i disable it and then how do i reserve the irq for the new card? Also, what about the headphone jack in the front face of the computer?

tim1
05-03-2005, 03:32 AM
its been a long time since ive done it.
look in your bios, it should be obvious
when you find it.
you need not reserve an irq for the new
sound card but you need to find it in the
bios where it reserves it for the onboard
sound and release it.
not sure about the headphone jack, you
may have to use the one on the sound card.

hardcase
05-03-2005, 11:13 AM
In BIOS usually under PCI Assignemtns is sound AND Gameport. Disable both. Don't put any PCI card in the slot next to the AGP slot. Those slots share an IRQ. I run my Elites on the Rad Shack Gameport to USB adapter with no problem. Shows up in calibration as USB Device 2. Make sure your USB ports are installed.