• Announcements

• GVONPAUL

Need help for incoming players.   04/29/2017

With the looming Steam release, we are anticipating many new players to the game. This is great for all of us, and it's important that we retain as many as we can. With that in mind, we'd like to enlist players to help with the inevitable questions asked in the forums. Ideally, gameplay questions are asked and answered in-game, but it's not always easy or convenient to answer questions while playing. A Gameplay Support Forum would be a good place for those who want to help. We are now accepting volunteers for the Rat Patrol, who will provide correct and consistent info to new players in the Forums. The more new players we retain, the better it is for the game and the biggest hurdle in player retention is grasping the complexities of this game. If you are interested, send me a PM.  
    • Dodger

Squad Leaders Contact GVONPAUL OR Dodger for Squad Forums   05/18/2017

Soldiers!

We are seeking Squad Leaders to volunteer their squads to help us test the upcoming Squad Forums system. This system will integrate squads who wish to participate into a self-sustained "forum within a forum." You will be able to add members to your squad, assign permissions, and create forums/calendar events on your own. The idea behind this system is part of our commitment to support squads as a integral part of our community. This service will be offered free of charge to all squads of World War II Online upon launch. Our goal is to offer all of the services a squad off-site forum can offer but free of charge and tied in to our existing forum service. So what do you need tested? We need willing volunteers to test the whole system - make forums, post threads, assign permissions, etc. The idea is to have several squads giving it a test run to point out any flaws before we launch it publicly. What are the requirements? We are ideally looking for medium to large squads - Ideally ten people or so plus, but smaller squads feel free to apply - and a willingness to use our platform. It's important to note (as of now - these may be included at a later date) we are unable to convert posts from a private forum if your squad previously used one, and you (or your XO's and recruiters) will need to assign individual members permissions. It is entirely possible that in the future this system will be automatically linked to the game's squad roster, but as of now developer priorities are elsewhere (1.37 and steam, w00t!) How do I sign up? PM me ( @Dodger ) on the forums, or email me at dodger@playnet.com - Please indicate your squad name and how many members you have. I will get back to you with more instructions.

Forums

1. COMMUNITY SUPPORT

1. COMMUNITY TECH & BILLING SUPPORT

Players Helping Players. Windows & Mac trouble shooting in here. Billing Support contact forum.

Tips and Tricks to make you a machine of warfare in WWII Online. This is where your gameplay questions will be answered.

1. TESTING AND BUG REPORTING

Repository for reports from pre-release testing and live game bugs.

1. 198

General discussion for all players of WWII Online. Includes Premium, Starters and Free Players.

New to Battleground Europe? Here's a great place to learn more. (trial or premium subscription required)

Help us make WWII Online better with your ideas / suggestions!

WWII Online special events.

Listing of player hosted Mini-cons

Player-written stories from the virtual battlefield

Squads are the backbone of the game - JOIN UP! Axis & Allied squads who are currently recruiting.

Player created squads

Squads
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
    • Awesome footage.  I think Scots work will pay huge dividends for realistic ammo damage.
    • Dated early 1930s. In a more pertinent time period, certainly naval personnel were temporarily onshore at Guadalcanal during the initial landing, and left there when the invasion group abruptly pulled out. From photographs, they were commonly dressed in naval blue fatigues. They did logistics work, and manned some AA guns. They didn't go into the jungle and fight Japanese infantry. If they had, it would have been insane for them to be wearing blue (or white!) instead of green. Some things are obvious. Here are the mid- to late-war US Navy uniform pieces that were provided to naval units that were intended to operate in the vicinity of ground combat: http://www.usww2uniforms.com/USN_N3_Utility_Trousers.html http://www.usww2uniforms.com/USN_N3_Utility_Shirt.html Other combat gear if needed would be the same as used by Marines, or obtained from the Army if need be. The N-3 helmet was basically the M-1 Army helmet. Often shore parties would have "USN" stencilled across the front of the helmet in a faintly contrasting lighter green so that the branch of the wearer could be distinguished from a close distance.  
    • Ya, my hidden fear too - many players I think will try axis first for a while; could be wrong - but I think history has shown axis generally always has more pop. Now, a little more pop is fine imo - don't have to be 50-50.  And, is good if each side get some over pop. But, my fear is axis will be very op for much of the time, and that will will really mess up the game.   One fun idea - first map;  everyone with 6 months or less sub -goes axis;  everyone over 6 months go allied   (Ya, i know - really tick off some axis only squads - but it would be fun to see the hoards attacking the few) - HEY, maybe an intermission idea for first intermission after STEAM?  
    • No Axis HC on again.  Getting rid of flags should be the absolute 100% priority. 
    • Yep, a favourite for me is watching the enemy fire at you, where their round appears to detonate on the tree directly in front of them, yet it's immediately followed by the sound of the round hitting your hull.
    • As we've all experienced multiple times, the engine bug or firebug, where the player is not firing but to others, is running around town firing continuously from his/her lmg/smg/flak30/ca mle 25 aa etc etc. As someone who has had to deal with people continuously firing 20mm guns due to this bug, it can be headache inducing. You try to tell the greentag that they have a firebug but they don't pick up on your message and the firing continuous. You either have to despawn (which isn't always possible) , turn down the game volume or hope they shoot again to correct the firebug. Since this bug has been around for years, what I'm hoping that can be added is a reset audio button that fixes your own audio. Perhaps CTRL + S or something. Not sure how much coding is required for this and it won't fix it for other people but if it means I can maintain my SA and not get a headache at the end of the battle, I'd be happy.
    • I am not arguing your point on the German land units of the Navy; and I admit that i have not researched too closely into the British and French, beyonf finding the images that I have shown in this thread, but I KNOW that the United States Navy DID use shipboard Naval personnel as infantry.

Point of fact: Sailors as Infantry in the US Navy ~ Patrick H. Roth (Captain, US Navy, Ret.)
        Some quotes: " On June 7 2005 Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Vern Clark, directed development of a “Navy Expeditionary Sailor Battalion Concept” with the goal of standing up a combat battalion in fiscal year 2007. This is return to the past. Up through the 1970s, competency as naval infantry—sailors performing as infantry, and sometimes providing land based artillery support—has been an integral part of the Navy’s operations.

While this competency has been gone from the fleet for a generation, its return can be facilitated by an examination of a rich history. "

" In 1891, the Bureau of Ordnance issued “Instructions for Infantry and Artillery, United States Navy." Besides providing instructions for drill and tactics for infantry and artillery, “Instructions” general regulations directed that: "Each ship and squadron will have a permanently organized landing force composed of infantry and artillery….”
      “ The section, consisting of one officer, two petty officers, and sixteen men, is the unit of organization. All sections are drilled both as infantry and artillery." " The largest operation during the early years of the 20th century involved the occupation of Vera Cruz Mexico in 1914. A seaman brigade of some 2,500 bluejackets conducted the landing and infantry assault alongside a 1,300 man marine brigade. "

" Guidance on amphibious landings continued to be included in Navy Landing Force Manuals until 1938. By then amphibious landing tactical doctrine had been subsumed by publication of the Marine Corps developed “Tentative Landing Operations Manual” of 1935, which was adopted by the Navy in 1938 as “Fleet Publication 167.” Landing party organization continued to be required and infantry drill and tactics continued to be part of the Landing Force Manuals. Bluejacket infantry continue to have a role, albeit much more minor than it had been decades earlier. In China, infantry operations ashore by sailors continued as an integral part of the Asiatic Fleet’s operations along the Yangtze River even though the marines had taken over the bulk of activity. "

During WWII: " ...a Naval Battalion, formed from the remnants of the shore establishment of the 16th Naval District in the Philippines, performed bravely and effectively on Bataan in late 1941 and early 1942. The USS Philadelphia landed a landing party to assist the 47th Infantry in capturing airport at Loa Senia, Morocco, during Operation Torch. Admiral Halsey’s Third Fleet sailors, organized as three battalions of infantry, assisted marines and a British Landing party with the occupation of Yokosuka Naval Base at the end of World War II. "

USS Houston (CA-30), ship's landing force reembarks from a motor launch, after exercises ashore at Dumanquilas Bay, Mindanao, circa 1931-33
      Note that they are not dressed in Marine OD or camo uniforms, but Navy ones.

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/s/sailors-as-infantry-us-navy.html  
    • Here's what a 30MM does to a wing of a Spit.   I guess it's more than a little ironice that they're tesing on a Spit MkII
  • Popular Contributors