Forums

1. COMMUNITY SUPPORT

1. COMMUNITY TECH & BILLING SUPPORT

Players Helping Players. Windows & Mac trouble shooting in here. Billing Support contact forum.

Tips and Tricks to make you a machine of warfare in WWII Online. This is where your gameplay questions will be answered.

1. TESTING AND BUG REPORTING

Repository for reports from pre-release testing and live game bugs.

1. 1,014

1.36 (Hybrid Supply), the return of town based supply (garrisons) on the frontline with moveable brigades. Any and all questions and discussions can be discussed here.

Squads are the backbone of the game - JOIN UP! Axis & Allied squads who are currently recruiting.

General discussion for all players of WWII Online. Includes Premium, Starters and Free Players.

Player to Player awards! Whether you're Allied or Axis, check this forum to see who has been recognized for outstanding effort!

New to Battleground Europe? Here's a great place to learn more. (trial or premium subscription required)

Help us make WWII Online better with your ideas / suggestions!

WWII Online special events.

Listing of player hosted Mini-cons

Player-written stories from the virtual battlefield

Player created squads

Squads

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
    • Yeah, it seems like a complex calculus. There is some cost associated with maintaining the game that must be generated, obviously. Lower price might increase the number willing to pay, but if the population including the increase isn't enough to cover costs, it doesn't work. High or raised costs can make people leave over lack of perceived value. I think the Soviet style "no step backwards!" subscription model (not allowing vets to downgrade) is honestly counterproductive--- @dfire, would you pay $5/mo to ride it out a while, for example? Heck, even $12/year would be better than 0, maybe a way to give just rifles for $12/yr to hold a name/stats/whatever.
    • I ended up deciding to not renew my sub this time, as many others have decided as well it seems.  For example, i usually log on after work and more often than not there may be one or two light ews towns on the map. Sometimes try to drive a fms to try to get action started, and next to nobody spawns. Very little action. I logged in yesterday after work and there was no ews anywhere for 10 minutes while I was checking the fontlines, fbs, etc. so I ended up just logging off and playing a different game. I just cant justify spending 18 a month on this anymore when the game is virtually dead half (or sometimes more) of the time I'm on it. And thats not even factoring in all the bugs/issues. It's not the price point, its the value. If the game were how it was back in the early to late 2000s, I would have no problem paying the 18.  Other subscription based games have many more players, modern graphics, modern coding, less bugs, etc. That is what, based on steam reviews, hearsay, and brief conversations with green tags who never came back, prevents rentention the most, the value. I tired showing the game to a few of my friends in the past and they had no interest whatsoever (some thought the air combat was pretty cool, but would never pay 18 a month for it), again primarily for the reasons above. In my personal opinion, the current business model will ultimately be the death of the game one way or another.
    • Yeah, maybe I was wrong above, and you are right---but I'd not play such a game, ever. Microtransactions means I'd never even DL it.
    • I don't think it has anythign to do with free games with microtransactions (literally a type of gaming I have never played at all). I think you can certainly compare the cost to other forms of entertainment, but for games it doesn't seem to map well to how people actually think of them (for whatever reason). I bought Kerbal Space Program for some ridiculously low price like $20, years ago. I have played it so much that it's likely less than a penny per hour---and it has been continuously updated. Amazing. (I have made a point of buying all the add ons to support them---but even so, that's literally just a few months of ww2ol). IL-2? Played and modded that quite a bit, bought add ons, probably spent the equivalent of several months of ww2ol. SH4? Same, little money, huge amount of play (not even counting all the time I spent working on my mods). I'd have to say that's what I end up comparing it to. In the case of ww2ol, I know what I was hoping for before I was a tester (before release), then what I saw it was actually looking like, then how it was updated over time. Many of the changes were not in the direction I was hoping, but I supported it because I supported the general idea. At some point I stopped because literally every change was what I considered the wrong direction. I came back for WBS, and decided to stick around a while, but it's pretty contingent on seeing what if anything heads what I consider the right direction. What I consider the right direction likely doesn't mesh with many people here, so I am likely not going to stick around all that long, but while I am, I'll pay, play, and advocate for what I want to see.
    • brilliant and forthright post syd with great info and insights. ty.  agree with JS that more WBS and extensive FTP might, maybe get more players and with more players the game has a better chance to shine like it use to with combined arms, bigger squads, etc.  but - perhaps the game had its shot with the Steam release - there were tons of new players, over 600,000 downloads of the game and it didn't stick - either because of the (eventual) subscription price, making it pay-to-win in the young Steam gamers' minds;  or the old graphics, lack of visual jazz (crosshairs/jumping, blah) and certainly the actual difficulty and unforgiving nature of WWIIOL PVP play.  maybe there are other issues and maybe there are other solutions - but for me, after 15+ years, I believe CRS best shot is to go for WWIIOL 2.0 - and see if the support/investment is there to actually upgrade the game not only to today's graphics and so on; but to adapt it to the new gaming world where basically subscriptions are way 90s and out of date and unpalatable to almost all players and the real money flows from micro-transactions and regular DLCs like new units, new map expansions, new loadouts, etc.  the games kids play these days with DLC and microtransactions usually end up costing way more than $180/yr but its viewed more as a series of rewards, updates, developer vitality, new expectations and ongoing-ness of a game rather than a 'I gotta pay the man' monthly sub perspective. 
    • Alot of the combined arms aspect of the game has dropped off because the numbers are not there for the current model which requires boots defending or attacking a cp and everything else ingame is all in support of that aspect....not really sure what the fix is for that but as far as numbers i think ftp might need a return and more frequent WBS promotions 
    • I have to agree with syd.  I dont think its so much of a price issue as much as a simple fact that people grow up, peoples lives and situations change and just move on.  Nothing lasts forever.  There is a lot of out with the old blood but no in with the new blood.  Its just a fact.  There are more ww2 games out there that dont require subs, extensive time commitment and what have you. You can still login for a few hrs have fun and go do RL stuff.........albeit this game has a more combined aspect to it it may be just to much for 2020.
    • Well if you do some searches I have outlined a whole bunch of them , might help a bit.
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
    2. 2
      Silky
      Silky
    3. 3
    4. 4
    5. 5
    6. 6
    7. 7
    8. 8
    9. 9