• Announcements

• CHIMM

***Expected Outage Scheduled*** 7 day Notice   12/15/2019

Next Sunday, December 22nd 2019 outage and cut-over will START AT 9AM PACIFIC TIME or 5:00 PM GMT. All services will be effected for 24 +/- hours as announced in our previous article. Game server physically relocated  Website and critical data relocated Configure the game server all critical services to new ISP's We appreciate everyone's patience and understanding during this transition, our goal is to minimize server downtime. Official communications/status will be posted via Axis and Allied Discord, and FaceBook during outage. ***Effective that day, server time will be considered Pacific Standard Time (GMT -8), not US Central (CST) as it is now.***
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Khsolo

Which video card is better?

28 posts in this topic

So extreme! It fast roped out of a Blackhawk, punched Al Gore in the throat, then took over the world! EXTREME!

Well the bottom card in the next series is equal to the mid card in the prior series ?

Huge difference from 5200 to 5900, 6100 to 6800, etc. I would save save my cash and wait until i could get into a upper model 7 series.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2427578&Sku=P450-7870

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2707972&Sku=P450-7946

7900 would rock

Go for the 6600GT as it is a much better card.

I ran one and it was pretty good. I have just upgraded to a 7900.

I think Doc said fill rate was everything in cards for this game. Compare a few basic specs.

The 7100 has a bandwidth of 5.3 GB and 1.5 billion pixel fill rate.

The 6600GT has 16GB bandwidthe and 4 billion fill rate.

I think on a basic comparison this puts the 6600 ahead of the 7100

i went from a 6600gt to a 7600gt and saw very little difference in this game. upgrading my cpu is another story though. i dont play any high req. games so i wouldnt know cash value.

I think Doc said fill rate was everything in cards for this game. Compare a few basic specs.

I think you are right

I just burned my 6600 and the only fast "pick up to go" card i found was a 7100 and is somewhat slower (I would have though otherwise btw )

I though i was getting at least the same performance but no

Gotta go shop for a newer one while at least i can still play with the 7100

Honestly I'd save up a few more bucks and go with the 7950 gt, its worth it.Its a big improvement over the 6600.

From Tom's Hardware VGA comparisons http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=541&model2=532&chart=196

6600 is near the bottom of the pile in the HalfLife II benchmark, but still

pushing 46fps with a good fast CPU, 7100 is off the scale at the bottom,

don't even consider it

This misleading crap system of naming video cards makes me crazy, never

buy one unless you run all the VGA benchmark charts and compare them

first, don't depend on just one, especially if you plan to run Vista as OpenGL performance will vary dramatically on some driver/card combos

Id save up and get a 8800 if you ever plan on upgrading to DX10. Cause nothing below that will support Dx10.

Id save up and get a 8800 if you ever plan on upgrading to DX10. Cause nothing below that will support Dx10.

they 8400 and 8600s will.

I'm still proud of myself that I went for the 6600GT after doing research entirely on my own 2 years ago. I STILL have one, and to the best of my knowledge, the one I gave a friend is still in use also.

That card made the hall of fame for best vid card values, no doubt. Probably all-time top 3, if not the best, considering Brown's Law.

I'm still proud of myself that I went for the 6600GT after doing research entirely on my own 2 years ago. I STILL have one, and to the best of my knowledge, the one I gave a friend is still in use also.

That card made the hall of fame for best vid card values, no doubt. Probably all-time top 3, if not the best, considering Brown's Law.

My Radeon 9500 Pro is still going, although the fan stopped and I had to build one out of an old Celeron 300A heatsink. Thats five years that it gave me acceptable performance. Thats my all time top card.

To answer Solo's question, the 6600 is the better card. A higher number isn't always better, in point of fact I think the manufacturers do this on purpose to sell the crappy cards.

the numbers say the generartion and model.

6th generation and a low end is a 6300.

7th generation and high end is a 7900

4th generation and a mid range was a TI4400 or TI4600

and so on.

its not false marketing, its showing what the card is and where it sits in the grand scheme of things.

NVIDIA GeForce 6600

NVIDIA GeForce 7100 GS

???

6600 is best for cost-performance ratio. I got mine, 256 version used, for 73 bucks and it works great. Remember to tweak out your computer a bit (theres various guides, I can't remember which one I used though...).

Currently, there are only two alternatives in the graphic card market.

Either buy somesthing ****ty that will bring you thorugh life the next 6-12 month, or buy a GF 8800. Dont buy anything in between, especially the high end dx 9 cards- they are allready obsolete.

In a year from now, we all need dx 10 cards anyway, and then you will be sry, if you bought a GF 7950 or bthe current high end Radeon.

Buy cheap shat now and live with it for 6 month, or go for a GF 8800. Anything else is madness imho.

7900GS = WIN

my specs

E6300 (2 cores x 1.83 ghz)

ASUS P5B deluxe motherboard

Nvidia 7900GS 256 meg ram video card - not overclocked

1 gig Corsair ram (4-4-15) (about to be upgraded to 2gig soon)

now im in sse2 mode, running with all options on except for radial clutter, and texture recductions off,

im also running with water reflections on.....

1280 x 1024 x 32 - antianalising off.

im getting around 40-50 fps in battle and around 130fps looking at the ground in a empty town/fb

I just bought a used 7900 GTO. Ofcourse this is still not the cheapest but I saved abit of money.

I would suggest that try to find a used 7600 or better from ebay or what ever is the local auction house in the net for you. You will get more out of it. You just have to make sure you know the current market price for them so that you don't overbid.

Now that the 8800 is on the marked the 7xxx series price has lowered. If you wait for a month or two Ati will release it's dx10 card too. Then you might find a used 7xxx card cheaply or even new ones. The Nvidia will stop manufacturing 7xxx series soon after they release cheaper 8xxx series cards which will be on the marked also in a month or two. This will also affect marked prices for new and used 7xxx cards.

the numbers say the generartion and model.

6th generation and a low end is a 6300.

7th generation and high end is a 7900

4th generation and a mid range was a TI4400 or TI4600

and so on.

its not false marketing, its showing what the card is and where it sits in the grand scheme of things.

The misleading crap is when they deliberately hobble a card of a newer

generation GPU by disabling some of the processor "pipes" or by restricting the memory bus (GeForce MX series) to put out a "value" card that will by

definition create a shorter lifespan and replacement cycle

when you go to mass market stores (Best Buy, Future Shop, B.depot etc)

that's mainly what they carry due to the lower price points

ie. why does an X800 outperform an X1300? makes no sense from a systematic naming perspective, unless you know that it is a value card that when you divide the model number in half (because only half of the pipelines are enabled) you get the "true" generational rank ie. X650

If you look carefully at both NVidia and ATI websites, you will find a table that separates each generation into 3 categories, essentially that of

"Gamer" ie high performance

"Multimedia" ie obsolete performance but with some gimmick such as dual heads for VGA output or TIVO etc

"Business" plain vanilla SVGA and barebones 3D functionality

Looking at that separates the wheat from the chaff but you really have to

dig around to find it now

If that wasn't intended to fool non-hardcore users, I'll eat my hat.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0