• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

1.26.X bug thread

41 posts in this topic

Hey Ahwulf,

G4

1.25 ghz

Radeon 9600

1.75 gigs memory

If it helps:

My performance is pretty much the same. Can't tell if there's any marked improvement or not. I always play at low vis limit because of my machine's age. The "shoot you then come around the corner" bug is still present even though I thought they went back to the old code. Also, ei seems to stutter, slide, and warp a lot more than it used too. Especially at distance. All liveable but I guess I was hoping for an improvement instead of a slight downgrade. Hope this helps you.

See my comment above at http://discussions.playnet.com/showpost.php?p=2468411&postcount=7. Graphic settings shouldn't matter as much as lowered the viz limit.

I tried that, I set it to the very lowest vis limit, with absolutely no change in performance, not even slight improvement. This is really frustrating (thanks for your suggestions though). It just seems very typical of Cornered Rat to release a bad patch.

Wierd, I guess its more complicated than I thought.

Last night I had great performance in Bilzen, almost 30fps. But earlier I was getting 8fps in Bouzanville.

All major patches are tough, its a lot of code changes, and only 4 coders, and not that many people test in the beta. The problem is that the only way to stress test a distributed internet game is with lots of people playing, you can't simulate that, and rarely does even an open beta draw enough folks to exercise all the features. That's why even the big MMPOG folks have bad major releases. Even in the desktop application world (which I worked in for 8 years or so) X.0 releases always sucked.

Well I really only have one major complaint and its been an ongoing one. The dreaded "Error #57 lost connection to host" I get it every 30-45 minutes... my screen just locks up and I'm gone to desktop...sometimes have to reboot mac to get it to reload.

Performance though whle in-game has been quite good. FPS has not and is not my problem. Between 17 and 39 fps so even with fuctuation I'm happy with that. But the Error 57 ctding has either got to go or I'm afraid I will. I just cant see paying for something that has NOT ever been fixed in the 4 years I've been playing.

My Mac:

G5 dual 1.8 Ghz

1.25 megs DDR SDRAM

Radeon 9800 Pro 256 mgs vram

Error #57 means packets between the server and you were lost. The game detects that it has no connection and generally will quit, as this is similar to someone pulling the plug on their internet connection. I had such a problem for a long time, and finally determined that one of comcast's routers was rebooting every 15 minutes or so due to overheating. Once I got the (idiot) comcast support people to admit it, they replaced the router and this problem went away. It took me two months of collecting every ping to get this taken care of.

If you are familiar with terminal you can run ping in the background into a file and check it after playing. You should see the missing pings around the times when the error occurs.

Since this error is not continous, running a traceroute in terminal might not show where the blockage is unless you happen to catch it in the act. In my case it took a lot of work to ID the exact IP address of the router that was dying.

You might also send an email to bloo@playnet.com.

Where are you located?

In terminal:

traceroute playnet.com

which should end at

playnet.demarc.cogentco.com

Dual 2ghz G5

3gb ram

ATI X800XT

4mb cable

1.26 has added more problems than it removed. FPS is still poor (but in fairness bearable) but it was better way back in 1.24 (I'll not even talk about the mess 1.25 was when released).

I get the map problem, but it's erratic. Last night I logged in and the map worked (I could change from city to any other view magnification) before I spawned in but couldn't afterwards. But after spawning in the map failed to work at all. I spawned out, it still didn't work.

Out of curiousity I then tried to hop out of game to the desktop (to see if that bug was fixed) and it worked - I thought. Till I saw the game had crashed completely, just bang and gone, not even a system warning.

So I went back in game (still an horrendously long load time compared to other MMOGs) and the map worked. For a while. Spawned in the first time, map worked fine. Second time it didn't, nor third. Fourth it did. Basically it's hit and miss and therefore unreliable.

Whilst like I said the FPS is still poor but bearable it seems a lof of animation 'finesse' has gone. I used to see other characters at least making an attempt at animated movement when nearby however when I was guarding a CP I saw nearby characters moving around in a fixed crouch. I've seen movement glitches before, but this is new - seeing them locked in one position for a good few minutes. It's just shoddy and continued everywhere, sorry.

And I'm a little peeved with the unintelligent updater. I downloaded the patch and it auto ran as usual asking to install the game in applications. Fair enough, but I keep WWII online in applications/games/. Still, I figured the installer would find it, other program installers do. Nope, it didn't and instead of just saying 'can't find ...' it crashed. So I ran it again and pointed it to apps/games which sorted it but still it can't say 'update' instead of 'install' in the main 'go' button. All other installers/updaters I use toggle that button to indicate what's happening. Now I'm intelligent (I hope) and know, from previous experience, what the WWII installer is up to but it really should be clearer for those that don't. It appears like it's installing a whole fresh new program.

Anyway, enough ranting. This is a great game, unique and fun, but I can't pay for it any more and have cancelled my subscription. I'll probably be back sometime, but hopefully then I'll have a shiny new Mac Pro and can play this in PC mode via Bootcamp as, frankly, the Mac version is lousy. Talking with my PC using buddies and they're getting 4 times better FPS (at least) on kit that my Mac Pro would match plus all the bonuses of things like tabbing to the desktop working.

Good luck and good hunting all, I'm done for now.

Ahh fiddle stix, I went back to the dark side, meaning I rebooted under my xp partition to play the game without major issues. Man I sooo want to play native mac but it's just not there yet. Keep up the work on getting it there.

I refuse to play on the dark side since I support this forum. How's that for commitment (of course I might just be insane).

You have more guts than me ahwulf. :)

Trying to play 1.26 on my Mac is just sad. I'll give it another try when they release 1.27.

I think its fixable, just not obvious to me (I have the source but its way too massive for me to comprehend, I mostly just look for little bugs and clues, and make sure the sound code i wrote still works). Until the new engine is done, this creaky engine will never match the PC performance (since that runs on custom opengl implementations that NVidia and ATI do). I do think it's possible to double the framerate with this version but it might not be worth the effort since the new engine will be like 8 years newer.

You have more guts than me ahwulf. :)

Trying to play 1.26 on my Mac is just sad. I'll give it another try when they release 1.27.

I'm with you, tried 1.26 today, worse than 1.25, i'll be back 1.27. Wondering if tehre will be any allies left playing by then :-/

2 gig dual core macpro

2 gig ram

Mac version is very poor performance 10-12 fps and tons of stutter and lag. Fiddling around with the settings doesn't seem to make any difference at all performance wise. My (now replaced sadly) 17" ppc g5 imac ran this version much better.

Sorry guys - I feel like a bastard for doing this - but I run the game using my XP partition. Performance is great - min fps of 20 - and usually much better with all settings to my liking. Makes for a different game.

Only problem I have is that I can't drive a tank under XP - windows simply reboots the mac without any warning. Happened once when I was infantry but happens EVERY time I drive a tank. Any tips appreciated. (Dunno whether I would get the same thing with planes as I haven't figured out how to fly yet.) Thanks in advance for any help.

cmd - tab and cmd-h (hide) are completely screwed.... crashes the game completely.

Also 30 FPS max on my system. :(

Powermac G5

Dual 2.0ghz

2.5GB RAM

Radeon X800XT

What's odd is I have the exact same system and cmd-tab works for me. Never a crash. How is cmd-f?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0