Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest2

CPU & Monitor advice

16 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

Building (ordering) a new PC and like a lot of good folks here, I am fairly 'puter illiterate. I would like to know a few things. If I get a quad core, such as a Q6600, will WWIIOL take advantage of it, when used in conjunction with a card such as an 8800 GTX, possibly SLI? Also, with that, does WWIIOL support 24" widescreen displays? Thanks, in advance!

My understanding is WWII doesn't utilize SLI at present. In addtion I don't believe it will use more than 1 processor at a time. As far as wide screen goes, it works but you lose some of the content at top and bottom.

those are all good choices mind you, but if you want to save money, go with a single GTS card and a core duo rather than quad core. You can upgrade both of those later if need be to the quad core and GTX cards.

As far as wide screen goes' date=' it works but you lose some of the content at top and bottom.[/quote'] That's not what it looks like to me. All the content seems to be there, but it's just stretched out horizontally to fit the monitor. It's not ideal, but it's playable.

At the moment I don't think there's any need to go further than a single 8800GTS (or X) and a dual core processor of some sort. With E6700 + 8800GTS I get 50-120 fps at 2520x1600x32 on a 30" widescreen monitor and that kind of frame rate is ample. With a 24" widescreen monitor the number of pixels is a fraction of that and I would expect the fps to be very high.

That's not what it looks like to me. All the content seems to be there, but it's just stretched out horizontally to fit the monitor. It's not ideal, but it's playable.

At the moment I don't think there's any need to go further than a single 8800GTS (or X) and a dual core processor of some sort. With E6700 + 8800GTS I get 50-120 fps at 2520x1600x32 on a 30" widescreen monitor and that kind of frame rate is ample. With a 24" widescreen monitor the number of pixels is a fraction of that and I would expect the fps to be very high.

No, it's cut off. Try spawning a german ATG and see how much of the range circle you can see. (It depends on the resolution aspect, though, if you are running a 16:10 resolution it's definitely cut off.)

I think someone said that BE is becoming more multithreaded as time goes on. Netcode2 is multithreaded already, I think... Could be wrong though. Still, I agree more than a dual-core is not worth the price unless you are doing some number crunching. I think the Core2Duo sweet spot is still the 6300 or 6400, after that prices shoot up with marginal speed increases.

By going with a Duo Core 6700 and a single 8800 GTX, will that "futureproof" it enough for what CRS has in mind for upcoming graphics and terrain updates in the next few years?

By going with a Duo Core 6700 and a single 8800 GTX' date=' will that "futureproof" it enough for what CRS has in mind for upcoming graphics and terrain updates in the next few years?[/quote']

18 months.. then it will start to feel old, sluggish and unplayable. That's about how it's been so far. ;)

Isn't it reasonable to assume, however, that CRS will make WWIIOL SLI capable and multithreaded further down the road?

Your video card will make little difference in this game. (as long as it was made in the last three years). x1600gt or 7600Gt is a good price point. WWIIOL is mostly CPU intensive, although it doesn't take advantage of multiple-cores very well. Quad core is a waste, but a core2duo e6300 or 6400 will do very well. Run the game on one core, and everything else (fraps, TS, etc) on the other.

By going with a Duo Core 6700 and a single 8800 GTX' date=' will that "futureproof" it enough for what CRS has in mind for upcoming graphics and terrain updates in the next few years?[/quote']

Don't futureproof. Waste of money. Get what you need for right now.

You will spend $300 for the lastest video card, which in a few years will be slower than a $100 dx10 card. I really feel sorry for those who bought the 7950 for $450 last year.

Isn't it reasonable to assume' date=' however, that CRS will make WWIIOL SLI capable and multithreaded further down the road?[/quote']

Multithreaded, possibly. But see above. Futureproofing is a waste of money.

Thanks Fuze, exactly the response I was looking for. Black and white.

Don't futureproof. Waste of money. Get what you need for right now.

I second that. Futureproofing is ensuring you have money down the line... :) Always buy the best price/performance point at the time you buy, it's a tremendous waste of money to buy top-of-the-line since the advantages are slim and they often cost 3x as much. They will be obsolete just as fast as a slightly slower, much cheaper option.

I really feel sorry for those who bought the 7950 for $450 last year.

Why?

I don't see any risk with not having a DX10 card from the start. It wasn't necessary to rush out and buy a DX9 card when that came, or DX8 for that matter. It's just a spoof, there will be quite some time before all games take advantage of DX10 anyway, especially this game!

There's no rush, those 7950's will be great for quite some time. There's no point in creating an unnecessary hysteria about DX10.

OK guys, thanks for the response, but just to recap, and possibly translate for 'puter dummies like myself. Here goes.....WWIIOL isn't that graphics intensive, therefore, an uber-card such as an 8800 GTX is pure overkill. However, don't skimp on the CPU, go with the E6700. Pair that up with 4 gigs ram, and a 20" monitor, and a guy can't miss, right??

OK guys' date=' thanks for the response, but just to recap, and possibly translate for 'puter dummies like myself. Here goes.....WWIIOL isn't that graphics intensive, therefore, an uber-card such as an 8800 GTX is pure overkill. However, don't skimp on the CPU, go with the E6700. Pair that up with 4 gigs ram, and a 20" monitor, and a guy can't miss, right??[/quote']

Couple problems reported with widescreen, but otherwise yes that rig will run WWIIOL very well. Make sure you get a good motherboard and RAM that is rated at 800mhz and 2.0v. I recommend a 975x board, like the DFI Infinity. And dont buy a cheap pwr supply. :)

Why?

I feel sorry for those who spent $450 on the 7950 because they basically paid $200 for a tiny bit of extra performance, only to have it obsolete by the 8800GTS for $259 a year later. Same deal for the 760MB 8800GTX cards for >$500. It is just a tiny bit faster and will be outpaced in a year by $200 cards.

i just bought a 46"tv/monitor...works well with all other games and flight sims....seems to crash everytime i try to get on battleground...hooking up to my normal monitor it works fine....what do i do to make this work?

OK guys' date=' thanks for the response, but just to recap, and possibly translate for 'puter dummies like myself. Here goes.....WWIIOL isn't that graphics intensive, therefore, an uber-card such as an 8800 GTX is pure overkill. However, don't skimp on the CPU, go with the E6700. Pair that up with 4 gigs ram, and a 20" monitor, and a guy can't miss, right??[/quote']

well i would go so far as to say that. i'd get the best possible computer your budget can afford. cause we all know you'll get burnt on wwii every once and awhile and want to try a couple other games.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0