Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hiiamben

Question about SLI

6 posts in this topic

I was wondering if running 2 video card's really make that much difference in the game??

I originally got a new system with SLI in mind, but I don't recall anyone saying it really helped to run 2 cards. If the bottleneck of your system is cpu/memory, improving graphics performance won't do anything. And if you have a decent gfx card your bottleneck most likely is not graphics.

If your current graphics card is the bottleneck, it probably would help, but getting a single decent graphics card would probably be enough, getting two high-end graphics cards is probably overkill (for this game at least).

Erik

With the 1.26 patch, I get about a 5% performance improvement running two 6800 cards in SLI. Previously (version 1.25 and earlier) it was about a 25% performance degradation.

SLI in this game is not worth it. Maybe when the TEII version of the game gets released.

I'm running a 7950GX2 card (SLI on a single slot).

No huge performance increases. But then again, this game isn't built to take advantage of it. Runs smooth, though.

I'm running a 7950GX2 card (SLI on a single slot).

No huge performance increases. But then again, this game isn't built to take advantage of it. Runs smooth, though.

I have this same card...........it rrrrrrrrrocksssssssssssssss ;)

Frankly, in my opinion SLI is almost never worth it.....it would make sense if you wanted the ABSOLUTE BEST performance on the planet with two 8800GTXs in SLI, but in all other situations I can think of, I think it's *always* a better option to simply buy a single new video card that's more powerful than the one you used, especially considering the ever-changing landscape of GPU technologies and API compatibilities (DX10).

I have a single 8800GTS 640mb.... I *could* buy a second one for SLI and perhaps get a decent performance boost in several games, but within a month or two, Nvidia will have newer 8000 series cards with

a) smaller die sizes

B) less power consumption

c) less heat generation

d) faster speeds & more overclockable

Soon enough, my 8800GTS SLI config will be beat by a SINGLE card that will eventually retail at roughly the same price I paid for the second 8800GTS.

And if it was a matter of waiting, then I would be better served by just shelling out the cash for an 8800GTX.

I'm a loyal eVGA customer, and they have a nice feature where you can trade in your video card and count the initial retail value you paid towards the purchase of a better card within 90 days.

BTW:

FYI, just to be clear, the performance of SLI varies from game to game, and generally a game should be optimized on the developer's end in order to take best advantage of SLI. In some games, your performance can actually go down

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0