Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbomber

(from windows support, posting it here too) - game is shutting off when running on XP

6 posts in this topic

i play on a mac but i run the game under windows (bootcamp - it IS windows)

anyway - i know very little about windows.. especially when it comes to checking hardware and maintenance...

well here's the deal... lately when playing ww2ol i've been getting some pretty nasty noises coming from either the hard disk or the CD drive... obviously somethings spinning but it's VERY loud... sometimes it calms down... it was getting worse and yesterday it peaked...

I won't lie, smacking my computer does quiet it down for a little while LOL (yeah i know that's gotta be a bad idea)

i had the game running and I went outside for like an hour. Came back and my comp was off. Thought nothing of it - figured it automatically did that when it wasn't being used for a while...

so i restarted it, loaded the game up and spawned in. Was runnin around some town, nothing out of the ordinary, and ran into some ei. I dropped to the ground, deployed the LMG and started firing at him when the computer just shut off. I don't recall hearing that crazy noise like I was getting... but the comp just shut off.... like it ran out of power (it's a laptop and was plugged in though).

so i thought that was weird and tried again. Spawned in and a few minutes later same thing.. again and again. Now i just tried it again and didn't even have a chance to spawn in - it just shut off while I was at the brigade screen.

I tried running another processor-intensive program (AutoCAD) and it was working fine, although my computer is rather quiet.

I'm considering reinstalling WW2OL, but i'm worried that there may be something seriously wrong with my windows side (mac side works fine as always... it's like my comp is jekyl and hyde)... so is there a way to check if something's up? maybe with my hard drive or vid card?

Also, i found my way to some computer management thing and decided to defragment my computer (it's doing it right now). Not sure if that will help with anything but it told me it should be done.

Thanks ahead of time for any help - i'm really worried TBH... and i can't play WWIIOL until something is fixed.

and like i said, i'm a windows n00b, so any advice or procedures you can offer need to be as detailled as possible... windows has all kinds of terms that are meaningless to me (had to google defragmentation to see what I was actually doing). So if you tell me to "update my drivers," i could use some detail on how to do so

oh and one other thing: my computer gets SUPER hot when running the game... but ive been running it under windows for over a year now... so why am i having problems now? It wouldn't suprise me if this was the cause, but again, i have no idea how to check and see, or how to fix it.

hoping maybe ahwulf or somebody else has some advice from the mac-perspective. Thanks!

I would bet your power supply is dying when it gets hot. WWIIOL will stress the system a lot more than anything else. It needs service.

well i had to send it in... finally i couldnt turn it back on :(

when i get it back im gonna need to reinstall bootcamp and all the drivers again - before the dilemma, i was using an older version of BC (since when i tried to upgrade it i couldnt get the game working)... so hopefully the newest version + drivers will work fine?

I run game under Boot Camp too and find that often the darn computer simply restarts while playing WWii. It usually happens when driving a tank - in fact nearly all the time when driving a tank so I can't do that anymore (except Panhards and Dacs which seem to work fine!?). Very occasionally it happens with inf. I think it is some sort of sound bug (hunch rather than evidence based). Running the latest version of BC, Windows XP, Quad core 2gig Mac Pro with 2 gig ram. Second guess is that it is something to do with the smallish size boot camp partition I have. Any tips at all welcome. Thanks.

The Windows client is actually less stable than the OSX from what I hear. Trade off of stability vs speed. Also 1.27 has some fixes for multi-core cpus which may help on both sides. Also, the windows client uses directx sound; the mac client uses openal so it's way different code.

The shutting down is probably BSOD aka Blue Screen Of Death. It's quite an common windows fatal error leading to prompt re-start.

There is actually an Blue Screen flashing for a nanosecond before the re-start. In this screen there is information about what prolly caused the shutdown. In order to view this information, you have to disable the automatic re-start option:

1) Go to Control Panel
2) Double click 'System'
3) Click the 'Advanced' tab
4) Click the 'Settings' button under the 'Startup and Recovery' section
5) In the 'System failure' section next to 'Automatically restart' make sure the checkbox is NOT checked
6) Save changes by clicking on 'OK'

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0