Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arven

Building a new system

46 posts in this topic

Well, I decided to build a new system as my 7 year old one can barely run the game anymore.

I've consulted with some friends who know how to build computers, and I've got a basic system plan here. However, none of the friends play this game, and I've no idea if this system is right for WW2OL. Heres what I have so far. You'll notice I haven't chosen a video card yet.

BIOSTAR TForce TF7025-M2 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

APEVIA X-QPACK-NW-BK/420 Black Aluminum 1.0 w/ ABS plastic front panel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 420W Power Supply

Soo... thats it. Will this system run the game efficiently? Everything there is only going to cost me about 300$. If anyone could link me to a 80$ video card that would be best for this system I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

People were saying that AMD was coming out with an answer for the core2duo in 6 to 8 months a year ago and they still haven't. LOL... ehhe

If you're an AMD fanboy than get one but otherwise core2duo is the way to go.

Don't skimp on the MB. Biostar has given me trouble in the past. They're pretty much one up from bottom of the barrel quality wise.

Included power supplies suck donkey d(#*$ in hell and may cost you your whole new system if it can't hack it. They are known to take everything out when they go.

I'll throw something at you and see if you like it.

If you're on a budget overclock a cheap processor. That's how you save money without sacrificing performance. That's what overclocking is really about.

Here's the cheapest core2duo that is sold.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115013

It's $121 and comes with a cooler ready to go. If you can swing it I'd recommend an aftermarket cooler that actually through bolts to the MB as opposed to the intel style plastic clips that are not very reassuring and tricky to install at first.

Here's a resonable aftermarket cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

It uses the plastic clips but it's hard to beat price/performance wise.

Here's a stable resonable motherboard with good overclocking potential.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128018

It's only got a single video card slot but you're building a budget system right?

Your ram's not bad but I swear by these sticks. only $103 for 2 gig kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609026

They can't be beat price performance wise. The Kingston you linked is latency 5 the ram I linked is latency 4. They actually run 4,4,3,8 unlike most of the other latency 4 ddr2 that's running 4,4,4,12. If you slack the supertalent's to latency 5 in your bios they can hit ddr1000 speed. I run them myself.

Get yourself a real power supply you can trust and next time you might not have to buy a new one to rebuild. This one will run anything. It's way under rated at 520watts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

I'm sure you'd probably be happy with the parts you picked but I like to stretch my performance dollar to the max. If you got a good overclock out of your chip you could be running with the big boys minus the quad core freaks out there.

As for $80 video cards this one looks great and it's clocked 50 mhz higher than all the other gforce8500gt's for some reason. It's brand new not even 1 review yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134016

I couldn't find a good cheapy with 2 dvi outputs but you could aways either get a converter or run one monitor with a vga cable if you get 2 monitors.

If your answer is that you can't afford quality parts than wait a little longer. You've already waited 7 years and you don't want to finally upgrade to a POS. Wait the extra week or 3 it will take to get that final $200 to complete a decent build.

If I can help it, I don't want to overclock. My current 7 year old system isn't even overclocked.

I'm drunk and can't manage this stuff now, I'll type an informed reply in the morning!

I've had problems with an AMD X2 system...It won't even let you drag a window smoothly while doing something else(a true multi-processor system would allow you to do that).

I can't recommend a dual core processor system as they have flaws especially with older games with timing issues.

If you want 2 cores get an actual 2 cpu system...dual core is FAKE anyways. There isn't really 2 cores as some parts are shared...which is a BAD THING.

I'd recommend an FX-57(or similar) single core processor...since it's a budget system your building. You will have ZERO problems in game with it...or likely any other games either.

If you want 2 cores get an actual 2 cpu system...dual core is FAKE anyways. There isn't really 2 cores as some parts are shared...which is a BAD THING.

I'm sorry but that's just a load of bull. Are you sure you're not thinking of hyper-threaded CPUs?

C2D are more powerful then anything AMD can through at you these days. Please god ignore Vampress as she doesn't seem to know much about CPUs. Dual core is the way forward and more and more games and applications are supporting both cores and taking advantage of them for physics, AI and loading in the background.

I'll spec you a rig but it will be from an english website. I'm sure you can find all the components (probably for cheaper) on your american newegg site.

EDIT: Okay, it's a pretty budget spec but you could still shave some more off of it. I gave you a conroe cpu instead of those new allendale ones. Performs better and has better bandwitdh to memory. Also gave you a pretty decent graphics card. Here it is anyway:

budgetsystemcb0.png

I'm sorry but that's just a load of bull. Are you sure you're not thinking of hyper-threaded CPUs?

C2D are more powerful then anything AMD can through at you these days. Please god ignore Vampress as she doesn't seem to know much about CPUs. Dual core is the way forward and more and more games and applications are supporting both cores and taking advantage of them for physics, AI and loading in the background.

I'll spec you a rig but it will be from an english website. I'm sure you can find all the components (probably for cheaper) on your american newegg site.

EDIT: Okay, it's a pretty budget spec but you could still shave some more off of it. I gave you a conroe cpu instead of those new allendale ones. Performs better and has better bandwitdh to memory. Also gave you a pretty decent graphics card. Here it is anyway:

budgetsystemcb0.png

550 pounds = like 700-800 dollars and ain't budget by any stretch :(

If you have a hdd and dvd drive already then that drops the cost to around £490. I'll have a look at the cheapest I can get.

EDIT: What about this? Only a 7600GT but that processor will be able to overclock up to some decent speeds. At stock it's not much faster then most AMDs so it's a crime to leave it at those speeds. The memory is just the cheapest 2GB stuff they have. It'll run at 800mhz but little more. Even so 400mhz memory on a 1:1 ratio with that cpu will give you 3.2Ghz with just a little boost up to 1.4V from 1.35V on the vcore.

Have a look at the overclocking results here.

And the specs:

budgetsystem2no6.png

I already have the ram. Newegg was having a sale on the ram I linked and included free shipping, and several friends who were advising me on this recommended I buy it before they sold out.

So... I just need a motherboard, CPU, power supply, and case.

I have roughly 350$ to spend on all of the above.

Don't you need a video card too?

Did you like the $80 gforce 8500 I linked?

If you want "el cheapo" you will have to sacrifice a little performance. The rig that darg built you is fairly top of the line excluding the video card, the first one I mean. The second is close to what I'd recommend. If it must be cheap as dirt than AMD may be alright for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103776

These are selling for only $93 dollars. It's a brisbane core which is a 65nm cpu as opposed to the windsor which is an older 90nm manufacturing process. They run slightly cooler and with less power consumption. Plus they're $10 cheaper. I know it's a 4400 and the one you had was a 4600 but the only difference is 100mhz it's so easy to raise the speed of the 4400 to that it's really not worth getting the 4600, trust me.

I built a machine last year with one of these boards and it was very easy and stable. There are lots of alternatives similar in price and performance. Do yourself a favor. If you skimp anywhere don't skimp on your MB. At least get a good brand. $99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131022

So I'm trying to get under your $350 number. I found a cheap power supply that looks decent. Way better than a case included one anyway. $53

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817701007

Here's a good price on a basic black full tower. Full towers are nice. No more squeezing components in. Lots of room to work. $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811125468

So all this is $325... not bad but no video card still.

It's hard to recommend an AMD IMO but it is a little cheaper.

I've had problems with an AMD X2 system...It won't even let you drag a window smoothly while doing something else(a true multi-processor system would allow you to do that).

I'd recommend an FX-57(or similar) single core processor...since it's a budget system your building. You will have ZERO problems in game with it...or likely any other games either.

i lol'd

budgetsystemcb0.png

this is rock solid stuff here, though I preferr the 8800gts. i also likes the raptor hard drives. Note: The prices are going to be coming down on the CPUs very soon in fact and the newer ones are FTW. E6750 OR E6850 have the higher 1333 FSB feature and are cheaper then the current counterparts. The ASUS P35s are where its at and the X38 is the next chipset due in 3Q. Have a good read on all the motherboard articles wrt intels newest chipsets at toms hardware and annandtech. Very enlightening!

8800GTS would be better but a lot more expensive too.

The harddrive I pointed out has proved to be almost as quick as the Raptors and you get a much much bigger harddrive. Raptors are a waste of money.

8500 is a diabolically bad graphics card. Don't touch it. The 7600GT would beat it hands down. I'd definitely recommend that you save up a bit more and get the 1950Pro or a 7900GS if you find it for a good bit cheaper then the 1950.

I'd build a cheap raid0 array before I buy a "fast" single hard drive. That's a good deal on that samsung drive. I really like their stuff lately. IMO they make the best monitors.

If you can you definitely want a video card with at least a 256bit memory bus. I'm not talking megabytes of memory I'm talking memory bus speed.

None of the budget cards have one. That's how they cripple em to create a mid range market. They simply limit the memory bus to 128bit. The new low end 8000 series are all 128 bit. Anything lower than a 7800 in the 7000 series is a 128bit card. The 7600gt was one of the best 128bit cards to come out so far.

In ATI only the 1800 and 1900 series cards are 256bit. In the new series only the 2900's are. You can put as many letters in front and behind the model number as you want and it's still a 128bit card. x2600xtpepro whatever, still 128bit.

I laugh at all the 128bit cards I see with dual slot coolers and heatpipes.. LOL

They aren't a real performance gaming card. It's like false advertising. 128bit cards do ok don't get me wrong, but the upper end cards leave them behind when the pressure's on with a bunch of action on the screen and when the detail level is up.

This memory bus stat is one of the little known secrets of video card shopping. Most people don't even know it exists because most websites don't tell you which are which.

Here's the cheapest 256bit card I could find.

$124 for a gforce 7900gs 256meg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130056

If you like ATI here's the cheapest 256bit ati card

$129 for a ati x1950gt 256meg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102034

Here's the cheapest 7600gt I could find. $99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130017

The $125 it might cost you for a low end 256bit card is going to be so worth it later. Your new machine will last a whole lot longer without needing new parts again if you get a decent video card. It's only an extra $50 over what you're already spending to get something twice as fast fps wise when you're done.

If you can hold out just a little longer, HUGE price cuts are coming to Intel's CPUs in the next week or two....and a whole new line of Core 2 Duos are coming out.

Apparently on July 22nd, Intel is going to be EXTREMELY aggressive with low prices and a whole new line of Core 2 Duos....

inteew2.png

INSANELY cheap......

Now my Core 2 Duo e6400 is pretty much obsolete as well. :(

Quad-Core Q6600 for $266 FTW

Well I build rigs for (800)+USD + S/H. But what I can say is AMD 6000 3ghz x2 are just fine and dont have the 200 or so errors that come with intel core 2 duos which intel said they will fix 65 out of 200 but wont say when. :P Also 2600 GDDR4 cards from ati on the market may want to look into that. And get a sata drive with 16mb cache 7200 rpm WD best :). Corsair makes kick *** memory XMS2 DD2 800 line you can get for as low as 85 bucks if you look. As far as PSu goes you want an active PFC power supply they are around 100 from thermaltake. Sorry my brain is in the middle of solving a registry problem :P oh and Asus is not great at all anymore but average. Sad, but MSI, Gigabity have been picking up slack and Sapphire starting to make nice boards and great vcards for ATI. Looking into them now myself. :)

Yeah they are talking 75% price cuts. hold out a little longer.

If you can hold out just a little longer, HUGE price cuts are coming to Intel's CPUs in the next week or two....and a whole new line of Core 2 Duos are coming out.

Apparently on July 22nd, Intel is going to be EXTREMELY aggressive with low prices and a whole new line of Core 2 Duos....

inteew2.png

INSANELY cheap......

Now my Core 2 Duo e6400 is pretty much obsolete as well. :(

Quad-Core Q6600 for $266 FTW

if you build systems then you know the C2D's already had a bios flash sent out to fix them. Right?

Well I build rigs for (800)+USD + S/H. But what I can say is AMD 6000 3ghz x2 are just fine and dont have the 200 or so errors that come with intel core 2 duos which intel said they will fix 65 out of 200 but wont say when. :P Also 2600 GDDR4 cards from ati on the market may want to look into that. And get a sata drive with 16mb cache 7200 rpm WD best :). Corsair makes kick *** memory XMS2 DD2 800 line you can get for as low as 85 bucks if you look. As far as PSu goes you want an active PFC power supply they are around 100 from thermaltake. Sorry my brain is in the middle of solving a registry problem :P oh and Asus is not great at all anymore but average. Sad' date=' but MSI, Gigabity have been picking up slack and Sapphire starting to make nice boards and great vcards for ATI. Looking into them now myself. :)[/quote']

Well I've used two systems with C2Ds overclocked to 3Ghz and above and never had a problem with them. Don't know what you're talking about with these 200 errors?

Also used an Asus P5N-E Sli board for my personal system and that clocked my E6300 up to 3.15Ghz and used an Asus P5K P35 board for my bosses comp and that clocked an E6320 up to 3Ghz. Asus are still producing some of the best boards out there at the moment. Abit and Gigabyte are the only real competitors and GB have been having a lot of bugs with their boards lately. Abit are rock solid though but a bit more expensive for the same features.

Those 2600 ATi cards still use a 128-bit memory bus don't they? 2900XT uses 512bit ringbus. The 1950Pro specced above uses 256-bit so will probably outperform the 2600 but I haven't seen solid benchmarks on the 2600 yet.

Well I build rigs for (800)+USD + S/H. But what I can say is AMD 6000 3ghz x2 are just fine and dont have the 200 or so errors that come with intel core 2 duos which intel said they will fix 65 out of 200 but wont say when.

if you think AMD CPUs are free of errata you couldn't be more mistaken.

if you think AMD CPUs are free of errata you couldn't be more mistaken.

Well it's whether the errata causes problems or not is the concern. I think usually it's compilers that take care of that nonsense for the high level programers...and NO ONE programs in machine language anymore.

I still DO NOT LIKE dual cores...they share L2 memory and the main memory between 2 cores!!@!!! how stupid is that? Cheap is as cheap does...

I still think most people are better off with a single core FAST processor for gaming...less chance of things not working right.

Now isn't the time to get a dual core processor yet...it still needs to evolve and the kinks be worked out of them. Do you really want to have to play with processor affinity and other tweaks to get things to run right?

Don't believe? well scan through the threads here and look up problems with dual core and compare to problems with single core cpu's. Single core is MORE reliable for gaming...

I still DO NOT LIKE dual cores...they share L2 memory and the main memory between 2 cores!!@!!! how stupid is that? Cheap is as cheap does...

That's not really a problem when you have 4 megs of cache like most core2duo's do. There's also speed advantages to them sharing some cache like being able to access information that needs to remain handy for both cores. It allows them to share information instead of accessing the ram to retrieve the same piece of data that the cache already has. I'm not aware of a single core AMD with more than 1 meg of cache most have 512k total. So the intel dual cores actually have more cache available to each core than most single cores do.

There's no comparison when you're multitasking. I can download, burn a CD, and play GTA san andreas at the same time and still have enough power left over to alt tab and open an internet window. You can assign the two cores to specific tasks. If I wanted to encode a DVD to Divx I can start it and put that program on one core only and I can game with the other. It is slower than using both for a single task but it's totally playable.

A single core might be cool right now on this game but when you build a computer you build it to last 3-5 years. That won't happen if you build with a single core. It might be great now but in 2 years you'll need a new processor.

Dual cores have been out for well over a year. The kinks are basically gone. I think a lot of "kinks" that get blamed on dual core processors are actually vista's fault. AMD dual cores have more problems than the intels most of the people posting here with dual core problems where they're messing with affinity settings and such have AMD dual cores. I think it may be because of the software you must install from AMD to make it work right. The intels just work.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0