Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arven

Building a new system

46 posts in this topic

I still DO NOT LIKE dual cores...they share L2 memory and the main memory between 2 cores!!@!!! how stupid is that? Cheap is as cheap does...

1) currently only intel CPUs share L2 cache

2) sharing cache is not a 'problem' nor is it 'cheap'. sharing cache can and does help performance often times both CPUs are referencing the same bits if both can access it from L2 its faster than having to go to RAM.

just stop talking about CPUs you're not very well informed. there is nothing wrong with dual core CPUs. in fact they're quite fantastic really.

Vampress a single core of a C2D can beat any single core before it.

Please read up on matters before acting like you know about them. People may actually believe you which is bad for them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103773 wala amd with 2mb of lv2 =P PCU I got it's cheap as heck too.

or did you mean cach sharing? I might be wrong here but it's still a nice CPU for under 200 bucks.

It's a decent cpu if you're upgrading from a previous AM2 socket processor. If you're building a full new system I'd always go with C2D. You can get C2Ds cheaper then that as well.

Vampress a single core of a C2D can beat any single core before it.

Please read up on matters before acting like you know about them. People may actually believe you which is bad for them.

Well they won't have any problems with a single core cpu...

Who cares if you can alt tab and run more then 1 program at once...What kind of dummy runs other programs when they are playing a game?

Dual Core users are STILL early adopters...you takes your chance and live with the consequences when you do that. I have read up...I don't like DUAL CORE because it's cheating the user out of the REAL POWER that a TRUE 2 cpu system can provide them(or even a system with 4 actual CPUS for the quad core BS).

Single core...windows XP...and your set for this game(get a hot shot video card but your usually CPU limited).

If your building a system to OC, obviously you should not be doing it on a budget :). And I do not OC. benchmarks mean little to me. :)

Well they won't have any problems with a single core cpu...
they wont have any problems under dual core either.

Who cares if you can alt tab and run more then 1 program at once...What kind of dummy runs other programs when they are playing a game?

uhm .. i run lots of things at the same time including a live TV app on a second monitor.

Dual Core users are STILL early adopters...you takes your chance and live with the consequences when you do that. I have read up...I don't like DUAL CORE because it's cheating the user out of the REAL POWER that a TRUE 2 cpu system can provide them(or even a system with 4 actual CPUS for the quad core BS).

you couldnt be more wrong, you could try, but you would fail. a dual core CPU is ALWAYS more powerful than two single core CPUs for the simple fact taht there is no additional bus latency between the CPUs when they need to talk to each other. further, you really have no clue what you're talking about multi CORE systems ARE ACTUAL CPUS ON A SINGLE SOCKET.

as for early adopters? lol ... over two years this CPU design has been in production.

Single core...windows XP...and your set for this game(get a hot shot video card but your usually CPU limited).

why on earth would you still buy a single core CPU when there isnt a single one on the market that can beat a core2duo in ANY benchmark?

please, stop talking on this subject. you DONT know what youre talking about and someone might be silly enough to believe you thus harming their own understanding.

If your building a system to OC' date=' obviously you should not be doing it on a budget :). And I do not OC. benchmarks mean little to me. :)[/quote']

the main advantage of overclocking is that you CAN build on a budget and gain the performance of a much more expensive system.

the key to overclocking is to choose the right mix quality of inexpensive components and a few key expensive components.

the main advantage of overclocking is that you CAN build on a budget and gain the performance of a much more expensive system.

the key to overclocking is to choose the right mix quality of inexpensive components and a few key expensive components.

Yes this is the truth. That's a great way of putting it. That's the best way to build unless you're Donald Trump.

The correct mix of a quality MB of the right chipset, great Ram, and the right cheap cpu with good cooling.

Then you tune it like a violin string to it's limit and back it off for stability and longevity just the right amount. You pick your video card wisely. Then you have a recipe to stomp all over a $2500 dollar dell.

Now isn't the time to get a dual core processor yet...it still needs to evolve and the kinks be worked out of them. Do you really want to have to play with processor affinity and other tweaks to get things to run right?

Don't believe? well scan through the threads here and look up problems with dual core and compare to problems with single core cpu's. Single core is MORE reliable for gaming...

The processors don't need the "kinks" worked out of them the programmers need the kinks worked out of them instead.

Intel and AMD can't help it if most Companies can't be bothered to setup multi threading in their software. With MMO's takes a bit to kick on over to new setups even if they have been around for a couple of years, its not like you can drop what you are doing or in the process of to switch it over to new style of CPU.

As far as the affinity thing goes. Sadly alot of it has to do with the user. I have yet to use the affinity trick to cure a game problem. I have played with it to see what others were talking about, but aside from that, zero problems, if anything when i did the affinity thing it cut my power easily by half.

The main Problem with this game and multi cores comes from the graphics cards themselves trying to process code that doesnt exist there by killing your frame rate more times than not. Not to mention alot of the crashing going on can be tied to getting carried away with overclocking cpu's/ graphic cards and the like or using "tricks" to get more speed out of the system.

As an example back just prior to 1.26 came to pass i was having a cthl/ctd nightmare i was lucky to stay in game for more than 10 minutes at a crack.

Squad mates and others in game kept insisting it was the game itself.

Well me being me i argued it back including a couple of rat types that it doesn't make sense since i was just running fine, so for the next month i kept hammering away with it.

Finally it turned out to be my system with a very bad OC setup. Soon as i backed everything off the CTHL's/ctd's disappeared. Now the way i had it back then it worked fine in other games yet not this one. Which if you read those other threads is a reoccuring theme.

What threw me the entire month was several mistakes i had made one being never to switch hardware settings and software all at the same crack. which i did. I changed all my bios settings around and at the same time started playing with Vista 32/64 bit versions both business and ultimate and going back to xp 32/64 bit versions "pro only" add to that the beta testing of 1.26 and you can see why i had a hell of a mess on my hands.

Once i chilled out and back off then it started to make sense what was going on. Now im back to my over clocked level and actually a 100 mhz faster than i was back then now im rock solid.

During that whole fiasco not once did i think it was the dual core CPU "Opteron 165" which everything that was going wrong it never made sense it was a dual core problem. The problem turned out to be the idiot user "myself" didn't have it tuned correctly in the first place.

Thats why i keep repeating that it has mainly to do with the graphics drivers "threaded Optimization" the OS if your using vista "which part of the problem came to light couple days back for sli types and im willing to bet translates to single cards as well", or the user themselves "thinking they have everything right when they do not and would rather piss and moan at the easiest target around other than themselves "in this case CRS" which if i had taken that route i still wouldn't be running right.

So while you say vampress, look at all the threads depiciting the horrors of dual cores i can say right back to you explain why alot of users are not having a problem at all if that were the case? For if it were a dual core problem shouldn't i still have said problem and not be able to fix it? or in the case of Mr.Slave not have a problem at all and wuv his wittle cpu to death.

I could list off name after name of gamers here who keep saying time and again they don't ever have a problem with their dual core setups.

So if an equal amount or more of dual core users aren't having that problem then the location of said problem has to be elsewhere. It is the only logical conclusion one can draw from this.

Wow, i got writers cramp lol.

I have an AMD 3800-based AM2 single core machine from a year ago and do very nicely, can fly in heavy firezones, etc. I put my money instead into a 7950 GTOC and memory, and will be able to upgrade to the last of the AM2 FXs whenever they go to the bargain bin. That was the plan all along.

While I love AMD, for now the Intel chips are better if you are judicious and willing to overclock. Just keep in mind that due to the amount of change Intel is doing your whole setup will likely not be upgradeable within 1.5 years.

Just one itsy bitsy point here- WWIIOL is not taking advantage of your whole dual core whatever, so you want to concentrate on getting the fastest cycling possible within your budget. I am doing single core nicely, but only after banishing all cycle-stealing antivirus systems.

Best overview to go to if you don't want to play my game of 'guess the shape of gaming in three years and do it the cheapest possible' are the Sharky Extreme articles. They go into the logic and give you choices, very nice.

May Value System $1000-

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/3678701

June Highend System $2500-

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MHGSBG/article.php/3684486

March Extreme System $4000-

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/EGBG/article.php/3666936

You know that's very very odd.. you see.. with my dual core intel E6300 running at 3.2Ghz my graphics card just couldn't be CPU limited. Actually no graphics card available could be CPU limited by my processor. Hrm.. wonder why yours is. I know.. because it's single core old technology!

Seriously Vampress, there comes a point when you must bow your head and admit to being wrong. I think it happened sometime in the last page but you didn't realise it.

And OT a little. For anyone that is overclocking always always check your setups by running the dual core version of Orthos and using Coretemp to check your temperatures. Run the Orthos test overnight for alteast 6 hours and if it doesn't fail then your system is stable.

The reason you were having problems with this game and not others is that this game uses a lot of CPU power and so was stressing your overclock more then most games would. If it hit a glitch then you'd be booted. The Orthos program runs both cores at 100% for as long as you want. If your system is stable then it won't stop.

You know that's very very odd.. you see.. with my dual core intel E6300 running at 3.2Ghz my graphics card just couldn't be CPU limited. Actually no graphics card available could be CPU limited by my processor. Hrm.. .

yea right...your graphics card isn't CPU limited in any game at all.

That's misinformation on a 1 - 10 scale approaching a 10.

problem with overclocking is you can get stability issues and memory issues also...best not to even bother unless you 100% know what your doing(which greater then 90+% don't have a clue about)

Thats why 90% of the people with dual core setups are having problems here :D So with that phrase in mind you can't actually say its a dual core problem per se but more down to a user problem.

I'd really love you to point out a game to me that would be cpu limit my graphics card. I'd have to be running a CPU intensive game that barely uses my graphics card and running at 640x480! At that stage I'd be getting FPS up to 500~.

problem with overclocking is you can get stability issues and memory issues also...best not to even bother unless you 100% know what your doing(which greater then 90+% don't have a clue about)

Well luckily those that overclock do generally tend to have a look around so they know what they are doing. My system is stable after 16 hours of Orthos running 100% on both cores and checking my memory. I can guarantee you that my computer is perfectly stable.

As for your initial statements could you please show me a benchmark in which a single core CPU beats a dual core CPU?

You can find a benchmark that says anything you want to prove...

You only need code it to prove your point...code to hide weaknesses...code to accentuate advantages...code to exploit hardware flaws...etc and etc...

The thing about benchmarks is this...what point were they trying to prove when they made the benchmark?

Your GOING to BUY what they are selling...if they make it. YOU WILL BUY IT!@@!!

uhm ... this is patantly false, all of it. its almost too easy these days to overlock and get great results.

also, your GPU is ALWAYS CPU limited ... ALWAYS!

You only need code it to prove your point...code to hide weaknesses...code to accentuate advantages...code to exploit hardware flaws...etc and etc...

The thing about benchmarks is this...what point were they trying to prove when they made the benchmark?

which is why there are suites of benchmarks, some synthetic, some real world. Any review site worth anything runs benchmarks across all available suites and programs.

dual cores operating in single core still SMOKE legacy single core CPUs.

seriously, just stop talking.

So what you're saying is you can't find a single situation in which a single core beats a dual core and yet you *still* believe that single core is better?

Open your eyes please.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0