Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sepa

Building a PC pt2::: Final Order

131 posts in this topic

I'd get the tuniq tower over that sythe cooler even though it's $7 more. It's totally worth it. It's the best air cooler on the market far as I know.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154001

I built my first computer and didn't install this at first. With the stock heatsink, the e6420 cpu would idle around 40C at 2.8. I put tower on and WOW!, I have it now overclocked to 3.2 and its idling at 25C!! Load at 43C! Great cooler!

Someone said to get a 650W power supply, should I go with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171014

The corsair you had in the list is 520 continuous watts rated. It's at least 650 peak. The coolermaster is rated in peak.

If you look at the stats the coolermaster has the same amp ratings on the 12v rails. Which are the video card ones that really matter.

The coolermaster is not a newer design it's outdated and can't even plug into some new mb's. It's not v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 compliant like the corsair is. Which means that it lacks the 8pin eps 12v MB power plug.

It's also not modular which mean spaghetti mess of wires. The corsairs have sheaths on the wires and you only use the wires you need.

If you're worried about having enough power get this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

It's $139 with mail in rebate.

You still have arctic silver 5 in your thermal paste link.

Those are some nice ,but expensive parts.

I'd get an e6550 since you're getting the good cooler you'll squeeze e6850 performance out of it no problem at all. I'd also get an intel p35 chipset MB and an ati video card but to each his own..

It's a perfect machine for a serious gamer who wants to possibly run SLI in the future.

You still have arctic silver 5 in your thermal paste link.

Those are some nice ,but expensive parts.

I'd get an e6550 since you're getting the good cooler you'll squeeze e6850 performance out of it no problem at all. I'd also get an intel p35 chipset MB and an ati video card but to each his own..

It's a perfect machine for a serious gamer who wants to possibly run SLI in the future.

I got better ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231114

and I will fix the paste

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100012

Here's the ceramic thermal paste link

That gskill does run slightly tighter timings. If you read through the reviews there are people saying that it's not compatable with certain MB's (the asus p5k was listed)

Sometimes different brand rams don't like certain brand MB's. If you look at the asus website they will probably have a recommended ram list. I know Abit does.

Lots of people are using gskill with not problems but I really do like supertalent. It's slightly cheaper too.

Either ram is a good choice. If you choose the gskill and if it runs at the rated settings it would give you a possible 1/2-1% performance boost. It's only faster in 1 of the timing numbers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100012

Here's the ceramic thermal paste link

That gskill does run slightly tighter timings. If you read through the reviews there are people saying that it's not compatable with certain MB's (the asus p5k was listed)

Sometimes different brand rams don't like certain brand MB's. If you look at the asus website they will probably have a recommended ram list. I know Abit does.

Lots of people are using gskill with not problems but I really do like supertalent. It's slightly cheaper too.

Either ram is a good choice. If you choose the gskill and if it runs at the rated settings it would give you a possible 1/2-1% performance boost. It's only faster in 1 of the timing numbers.

Their web site is still loading for me lol, I want to ckeck if the CPU and RAM works with that motherboard...If you get the information before it loads let me know lol.

The sever must be overseas lol

I'd be careful. I might even just get corsair if gskill and supertalent aren't listed. There's a lot of people complaining about certain brands of memory not liking the striker board. In particular OCZ brand ram.

Supertalent wasn't listed for my MB but I bought it anyway and it worked fine.

These are from the customer reviews for the striker MB at newegg.

Works with some memory sticks, not at all with others.

Serious Stability issues out of the box. And I mean Serious. Not many high end ram chips are totally compatable with it.

poor support, very limited ram options. board sent out too soon. The problem is the 680i chipset. If you test one 2 or 3 sticks, there won’t be a problem. however, once you put 4 dimm of memory in there, problem appear. It is comfirmed by DFI motherboard RD. 680i and 650i have problem with weak memory controller. The only way to solve this problem is RMA the motherboard and good luck on replacement.

Be sure to check the QVL from ASUS for acceptable memory configs

Watch the memory compatability comments here and on the ASUS forums.

Cons: Everything! This is my third MoBo and I am still running into issues. The board is very unstable and a pain to set up. After I received this MoBo I got things working, but it just went out on me again. Everytime I try to boot up the LCD poster says "TESTVRAM"! No OC'ing just default settings. To be honest I could go on and on about the issues of this board so I will end on this note "DO NOT BUY! GET A DIFFERENT MOTHERBOARD!!

The Asus Striker Extreme has been a real disappointment, I have been unable to install 4 memory modules limiting the board to only 4 gig of ram. G.Skil notes the Asus problem and even Asus admits the problem if installing 4 memory chips but so far the Asus tech support has been non existent. As I was a sucker and bought two of these boards to build a set of twin quad core computer I am now stuck with about 500 bucks worth of non usable ram and absolutely no technical assistance from Asus. All bought from newegg. I am at this point truly sorry I ever purchased an Asus board, and never would recommend these products to anyone.

Memory compadability is another big issue,

I used to love ASUS and their products, but apparently their quality control has gone WAY down hill.

Cons: Where to start. I have had to replace this board twice and am trying for a third time. The first board arrived damaged, the second wouldn't recognize the hard drives. The third board ran, very flaky, for the last 3 months and now is dead. ASUS is not sure they will RMA it because they have already sent 2 others, both of which were dead right out of the box. The board runs very hot when it runs.

Cons: To begin with, this motherboard never worked for me. I had the "CPU INIT" message on the LCD Debugger like a lot of other people have had as I've been reading on other forums. RMA my brand new C2D E6600 and still got the same problem which the computer doesn't boot up. Everything lights on, fans spin but no beeps and video signal. Secondly, no air coolers seem to fit this mobo and by the time I was on my 3rd purchase of coolers, one finally fit tho I had to bend some fins. By then, my 14 days warranty has passed and now I'm struggling to get a manufacture RMA which seems impossible due to horrible service from ASUS!

I'd try the asus MB forums for getting help with ram compatablity Abit has a sticky in the forums with a list.

After reading through pages of asus striker customer reviews. I'm linking this MB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030

Not many horror stories in those reviews 83% 5 eggs for the abit ip35.

I'm also worried that your tuniq tower won't fit after reading about this last guy who's on his 3rd cooler purchase because the others won't fit because of the huge bunch of heat sinks surrounding the cpu socket on the striker.

I might search for tuniq tower's mounted on striker MB's and see if others had problems. Or better yet get on the asus forums and ask before you hit the order button.

I'm pretty sure that worst case senerio you'll have to trim some of the fins to get them to clear a component or 2. That's usually all that's required to make a cooler fit. I've never had to do it myself. I always ran the best aftermarket air cooler I could find on my machines.

Forums link

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&SLanguage=en-us

Wow! those asus forums suck. Only 10 posts in the striker section. There must be a different forum somewhere.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=Striker&SLanguage=en-us

Check out how cool the abit MB forums are.

http://forum.uabit.com/

A great place to get support.

Might as well get one of these video cards too since the ip35 is crossfire and nvidia won't fix their driver problems for another couple of months.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102095

X2900XT

Pros: Amazing card. Upgraded FROM an 8800GTS and I can already see the difference. The games just LOOK better, and run better. Once drivers get more mature it'll run better and more efficient. Benchmarks beat GTS in 99% of games and 3dmark.

Pros: This is the best mid range card you will find. this card even beats the 8800 gtx in some features even tho is designed to compete with the 8800 gts like offloading more HD video-decoding work from the CPU and transfers it to the GPU, witch allows your CPU to work better and faster and for the price it does more than it should. This i a highly over clockable GPU.

Cons: Power hog...Consumes too much power(210watts) so a 550 PSU is recommended just to be safe. + ATI needs to put more work on the drivers to get the beast out of this card even though they are improving.

Pros: This card is very powerful. It will max out any game currently. The performance falls somewhere between the 8800gts and 8800gtx. Supports directX 10. Monthly driver releases, the most recent has the card beating the 8800gts across the board (with <8x AA) and right on the heels of the 8800gtx, which costs $150 more.

Every machine I own and build is Abit. I've been totally satisfied with them. I've never had stability problems and I've never had a single board fail. All are still running. I've replaced 1 northbridge fan. They have always had some of the best overclocking boards and they typically beat comparable boards from other manufacturers prices. I know they had a few lemon models notably the fatality amd boards. They went through a tough period when they got bought out and reorganized, but they are back better than ever. I only buy Abit boards for myself.

They are an enthusiest board and generally give you room for a large cooler and tons of overclocking options. They come with temp/ voltage monitoring software for windows. They always pack the packaging with every cord you could possibly use if you were using all your sata inputs and everything.

Meanwhile I keep hearing that Asus has slipped drastically all over the net. Everyone's saying that their support/quality sucks and they don't want to buy asus anymore. I really have heard/read that so many times in the last year or 2.

There's still quite a lot of asus fans out there.

Don't be afraid of Abit. EVGA is a new kid on the block as far as MB's go. They seem to be doing ok. I'd get a gigabyte MB before an asus. They seem to be doing quite well lately.

Might I ask why? The P35 chipset is the best overclocker out there at the moment and more stable then the rest as well.

I have always been a fan of AMD. I have faith that they will redeem thierself with thier quad core. it's not looking too good but for the money that intel wants for a CPU I will just use a am2 6000+ that will support a quad chipset.

it's kind of like chevy vrs ford. it's preferance over performance for me.

I never built with one but I got to looking around at the nvidia chipsets and it seems that this one is well reviewed. AnandTech liked it. It's the only i650 that runs 16x sli in both slots.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2958&p=1

if you read up on SLI you don't get best performance running 16X on both slots you actually gain performance using 16X on the 1st and 4X on the second slot. this is a common problem that SLI users are really not aware of. if you dig a little you can find this to be true as of late. I still havn't seen any update allowing SLI to run both slots in 16X effectivly.

Looks like a one kick *** machine.

I wish you luck on the build. Watch that the heat sink doesn't touch anything. You can trim any offending fins with side cutters or a dremel tool on the chipset cooler or the cpu. You've got so much air blowing in on it a few mm's of fin is nothing to worry about.

I'm crossing my fingers your ram is compatable. S!

Make sure you report back on the performance soldier.

Looks like a one kick *** machine.

I wish you luck on the build. Watch that the heat sink doesn't touch anything. You can trim any offending fins with side cutters or a dremel tool on the chipset cooler or the cpu. You've got so much air blowing in on it a few mm's of fin is nothing to worry about.

I'm crossing my fingers your ram is compatable. S!

Make sure you report back on the performance soldier.

When I get everything set up, how will I know if my ram is not compatable ? It will read as 0 ? lol

I went on and ordered it...

Usually it won't do anything on the boot up. It might give you some sort of ram error message or work only in 1 slot. There's a code displayed during the boot up on that board that tells you each process and what it's doing.

I think you have a good chance to pull it off.

Build the machine

Set the first boot device as the cd/dvd rom in the bios

put the windows cd in.

follow instructions and hit f8 when prompted for drivers a few min in to installation

then install your chipset and sata/hd controllers disk

after you get into windows update everything, download .net framework, and firefox and you should be fine.

Oh you're doing vista huh? My instructions were for xp. I'll bet you still need to load chipset and hd controller drivers during the install.

I'm using my old HD that allready has windows on it and all my games and whate not...

Will this cause any problems ?

Usually it won't do anything on the boot up. It might give you some sort of ram error message or work only in 1 slot. There's a code displayed during the boot up on that board that tells you each process and what it's doing.

I think you have a good chance to pull it off.

Build the machine

Set the first boot device as the cd/dvd rom in the bios

put the windows cd in.

follow instructions and hit f8 when prompted for drivers a few min in to installation

then install your chipset and sata/hd controllers disk

after you get into windows update everything, download .net framework, and firefox and you should be fine.

Oh you're doing vista huh? My instructions were for xp. I'll bet you still need to load chipset and hd controller drivers during the install.

Im not doing vista yet, waiting for SP1

That's gonna be a kick-a$$ PC.

G.Skill is FUGGING AWESOME RAM.... A lot of people swear by it, and it could be some of the absolute best RAM you can get right now. They're a great company, and their RAM is high quality.

Only potential problem I see is with the Tuniq Tower....

I really hate to tell you this, but......

You see the copper heatpipes near the top of the motherboard?

There might be a chance the Tuniq Tower won't fit on your motherboard with those copper heatpipes there. I've seen photos of the Tuniq Tower on plenty of motherboards, and it's HUGE and I'm not sure it will have enough clearance for those pipes.

Anyway, hopefully it fits.

Looks like you're gonna have a KICK-*** PC.

That's gonna be a kick-a$$ PC.

G.Skill is FUGGING AWESOME RAM.... A lot of people swear by it, and it could be some of the absolute best RAM you can get right now. They're a great company, and their RAM is high quality.

Only potential problem I see is with the Tuniq Tower....

I really hate to tell you this, but......

You see the copper heatpipes near the top of the motherboard?

There might be a chance the Tuniq Tower won't fit on your motherboard with those copper heatpipes there. I've seen photos of the Tuniq Tower on plenty of motherboards, and it's HUGE and I'm not sure it will have enough clearance for those pipes.

Anyway, hopefully it fits.

Looks like you're gonna have a KICK-*** PC.

Now I can download errr "videos of hot chicks" and play ww2 at the same time =) lol

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0