• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sepa

Building a PC pt2::: Final Order

131 posts in this topic

Personally I would have gone for the P35 motherboard and E6600 or E6550 for half the price and overclocked to get the same performance or better but if you're not into overclocking then you've got the best out there.

The only thing would have been that the extra money would have gotten you a GTX instead of the GTS but it's not like you need that to play wwiio now is it?.. yet. ;)

Keep in mind that the AS ceramic paste will not come off after it sets. The only way to get it off is to buy special fluid from AS that will dissolve it. I've heard of people actually cracking their CPUs trying to get a heatsink off. Just a note to be careful about it. You've got a few hours use before it will set hard though so if there are early troubles you'll be able to remove it.

That's gonna be a great machine when you get it up and running. I'll be curious about the performance against my E6300@3.15 and 2900XT.

I'm using my old HD that allready has windows on it and all my games and whate not...

Will this cause any problems ?

Your old install of windows is going to freak out once you put it in with all this new hardware. There won't be drivers for anything and it may crash.

The only way to go is a new full install. You should just back everything up and reformat your hard drive. It will probably save time trying to mess with getting your old install right.

I'm worried about the cooler too. Like I said though you can trim any offending fins on either the chipset or the cpu cooler providing you don't cut into the heat pipes or the fan blade. Use side cutters or a dremel tool. The fins are extremely thin and cut easily.

I really don't see how Asus in their infinite wisdom could make a MB with the intention of calling it "the ultimate gaming motherboard" and not provide enough clearance for a good aftermarket cooler. Most people who have the money to build with a striker MB are going to buy an aftermarket cooler. The stock intel coolers leave a lot to be desired. Asus should have thought of this.

Your old install of windows is going to freak out once you put it in with all this new hardware. There won't be drivers for anything and it may crash.

The only way to go is a new full install. You should just back everything up and reformat your hard drive. It will probably save time trying to mess with getting your old install right.

I'm worried about the cooler too. Like I said though you can trim any offending fins on either the chipset or the cpu cooler providing you don't cut into the heat pipes or the fan blade. Use side cutters or a dremel tool. The fins are extremely thin and cut easily.

How can I reformat my HD ? I have no working PC to use my HD. My old PC videocard broke.

BTW: Do you have AIM/MSN ? When I get the parts I may have to ask you questions and post and wait on forums takes time =)

No I don't do MSN or what not. No chat programs. You can PM me on the forums and I answer pretty quickly. I usually check when I get home from work.

If you don't really need what's on the old hard drive you can simply erase it when you go to install windows on the new machine.

You could borrow a video card from a friend to get your old data off of the HD.

You could buy another hard drive for about $60 that is probably faster than your old one. They have 16 and 32 meg cache one's out now.

You could then use the new one for windows and plug your old one in just to get the data off of it. It will probably try to boot from it though. Make sure your old hard drive is set lower in the boot sequence than the one you use for windows.

No I don't do MSN or what not. No chat programs. You can PM me on the forums and I answer pretty quickly. I usually check when I get home from work.

If you don't really need what's on the old hard drive you can simply erase it when you go to install windows on the new machine.

You could borrow a video card from a friend to get your old data off of the HD.

You could buy another hard drive for about $60 that is probably faster than your old one. They have 16 and 32 meg cache one's out now.

You could then use the new one for windows and plug your old one in just to get the data off of it. It will probably try to boot from it though. Make sure your old hard drive is set lower in the boot sequence than the one you use for windows.

You think I can buy a HD from Bestbuy ? If I order the HD now it probaly wont get here till Monday...

I did order a Windows OEM for my Dad, I guess I could use that to whip my HD clean.

Sure, you can get one at best buy or even walmart. You can use the old one if you don't need any of the data.

BTW I did a google search for "tuniq tower on asus striker" and found this.

Striker_TuniqFoto.jpg

Apparently it fits so no worries. Make sure you point the fan towards the back of the case right at the exhaust fan.

This guy had his core2duo running at over 4ghz with this setup 500fsb, or 2000fsb intel speak.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126901

Sure, you can get one at best buy or even walmart. You can use the old one if you don't need any of the data.

BTW I did a google search for "tuniq tower on asus striker" and found this.

Striker_TuniqFoto.jpg

Apparently it fits so no worries. Make sure you point the fan towards the back of the case right at the exhaust fan.

This guy had his core2duo running at over 4ghz with this setup

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126901

Isnt that thing abit over sized ? lol....

Yea, im not worried about the data....

Just plug everything in power up and put the OEM in ?

This is the OEM I got:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116056

Build the machine

Set the first boot device as the cd/dvd rom in the bios

put the windows cd in.

follow instructions and hit f8 when prompted for drivers a few min in to installation. Mine are on floppies

then install your chipset and sata/hd controllers disk

after you get into windows update everything, get new drivers, download .net framework, firefox, and you should be fine.

Read all the instructions. They can really save a lot of headaches and time.

Do a quick format. The full format takes like an hour. It checks the disk for errors.

BTW: you GF is hot

CopyofRes.Brandysidearmup.jpg?t=1186106834

Hehe that's my sister in law.. lol She is hot.

Isnt that thing abit over sized ? lol....

It's the best air cooler on the market of course it's oversized.

Hehe that's my sister in law.. lol She is hot.

It's the best air cooler on the market of course it's oversized.

She dating anyone ? lol

The tuniq tower is good but it's certainly not the best on the market. The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme beats it by 5-6C on most tests and the Noctua cooler beats it by 2 or 3. The Noctua and Ultra 120 are also both quieter (depending on the ultra 120s fan of course).

The ultra 120 is overpriced but the Noctua is perfect if you can find it. Not sure if it's sold in america. It's built by a swiss aerodynamic company in partnership with a university aerodynamic research team ;)

I like thermalright. That's what I run on my athlonxp barton. An slk800.

They were the best at the time. I kept checking forever but newegg wasn't getting in any stock. Thermalright is what I wanted to go with on my core2duo but there wasn't any available at the time.

When you live in Alaska on an island it sucks to order your parts from 2 different sites because you pay shipping twice and we only have air mail. So if newegg doesn't have it in stock I find something else. The best alternative I've found so far is zipzoomfly.com or tigerdirect.com. There's lots of strickly cpu cooler sites too.

I just checked and they do have the 120 extreme for $65 but that's without a fan, thermalrights never come with a fan, so that can easily push the price up to $75-80 or more depending on what fan you want. Of course you could go fanless but I wouldn't. I'd just wonder what it could do with a fan.

I really liked the tuniq tower for $45 but he waited so long is came off of sale and now it's $65. I'm less excited about it at that price.

I didn't know thermalright had a new badboy out. I can't find noctua at the usual sites.

I'm thinking of the overclocking potential of this machine he's building. It's going to be awsome. I wonder what an e6850 will do? I bet he can hit 3.6 no problem and run it 24/7 if he slacks the ram timings a little maybe 4,4,4,12.

The tuniq tower is good but it's certainly not the best on the market. The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme beats it by 5-6C on most tests and the Noctua cooler beats it by 2 or 3. The Noctua and Ultra 120 are also both quieter (depending on the ultra 120s fan of course).

The ultra 120 is overpriced but the Noctua is perfect if you can find it. Not sure if it's sold in america. It's built by a swiss aerodynamic company in partnership with a university aerodynamic research team ;)

FrozenCPU is your friend. They have both the 120mm and 92mm versions of the Noctua coolers.

Ahah.. it's NH-U12.. I was close.

The 120mm is great and about the same size as the tuniq. Ultra 120 is a tiny bit bigger then both I think.

I'm surprised it's so expensive though. It's £30 which is around $55 or so isn't it?

64 bit rig on a 32bit operating system.

Is that good or bad ? Should I get 64bit Xp ? Or does xp only come on 32bit

xp is the most stable best performing operating system in most games. That's why you're using it. The 64bit OS's that are out there are just not quite worth buying yet IMHO.

They offer little to no performance gain and sometimes a performance loss far as gaming is concerned right now. Good drivers are still sometimes a challenge to find depending on how old/popular your hardware is.

DEATH TO UPS:::

They just lost my two packages from newegg.com

They lost my $1,600 order....

AHHHHHHH

I need to sleep this off and tomorrow I will give them a thing or two on the phone

UPS took forever on my build. I went with them to save a few dollars and they shipped my order from cali to st.louis to wash before it went to alaska. They took over 2 weeks and I paid for 2nd day air. I told myself fed ex from now on. I've never looked back they are very prompt and 100% reliable so far for me. They have great tracking on their site too.

You'll save $20 on your cooler now it's back on sale at $45.

Is that good or bad ? Should I get 64bit Xp ? Or does xp only come on 32bit

64-bit xp is not a good choise. There are some driver issues for it since some vendors just don't make drivers for it. There is no performance gain wih X64 anyway, at least not in this game, so there really is no point.

I don't know about 64-bit vista when it will be supported though. It might be just that most vendors don't see a point to make drivers for XP X64 since vista is out now and they put their effort into that.

Go with 32-bit XP, it's the best choise for now.

They found it lol' date=' somone forgot to scan the package at the last stop.[/quote']

Someone needs a ***** slap...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0