• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sepa

Building a PC pt2::: Final Order

131 posts in this topic

Keep this forum open and we'll help you build your computer as you go if you need the help :)

Always remember, get the CPU and heatsink on before putting the motherboard in the case. I like to do all power cables and then all data cables and if you can in your case then try to tape the cables down so they're not taking up a lot of room and restricting airflow.

Keep this forum open and we'll help you build your computer as you go if you need the help :)

Always remember, get the CPU and heatsink on before putting the motherboard in the case. I like to do all power cables and then all data cables and if you can in your case then try to tape the cables down so they're not taking up a lot of room and restricting airflow.

From my HS classes I remember that the data cables have to go in a certain way or the data stream will be in reverse or something.....Is this true or are their pegs to prevent it going in the wrong way.

From my HS classes I remember that the data cables have to go in a certain way or the data stream will be in reverse or something.....Is this true or are their pegs to prevent it going in the wrong way.

There are pegs or notches. It's all quite foolproof. :D

I got a computer building kit, has screw drivers and what not. It also has the de-Charger. I stap it on my wrist and clip it to the metal case ?

also just put everything in and power up, place the OEM in and follow the on screen instrustions ? Or do i set up bios first and then windows ?

Leave BIOS at default while setting up windows, when all drivers etc. are installed you can play around with overclocking.

The one thing you might want to do is set the RAM voltage to what your RAM wants. 2.1V I think but check your specific RAM make.

Good luck!

Yep check your manufacturer specs on ram voltage. Make sure you computer detected it correctly. The standard for ddr2 is 1.8 but my sticks run 2.2. Because of this there's been many disappointed builders out there who buy good ram and when they put the machine together the bios defaults to the ddr2 standard 1.8 volts. Well, my sticks won't even boot up at that so if the MB doesn't raise the voltage a little by itself you can't get the machine to fire for the first time so you can change it. I've actually heard of people borrowing someone's ddr533 that runs at 1.8 just to get in the bios to raise the voltage for their good sticks. Then the machine would boot.

Raise the voltage to factory specs first and then boot. Reboot enter bios and then make sure your timings are factory specs. Don't do both at the same time. Voltage first. My mb won't boot if I try to change both at the same time.

I'd probably run the machine at stock for a day to let the heat paste settle in and to do a little burn in on the processor before I tried an overclock. That thing is going to be very fast out of the box at stock speed.

TAKE YOUR TIME AND READ ALL DIRECTIONS.

fing Cmos !!!!!!

I got every thing pluged in and i go to boot but then my rig shuts down and i get a cmos error "led screen on board"

any ideas ? List more than one in a reply please it will spead things up

Try removing the pc from power and resetting the cmos with either the jumper or the switch on the back if you have one. Leave it jumpered out for 1 min and then put it back to operational mode or refer to the MB manual for resetting the cmos.

When you get it to boot enter the bios right away and change whatever settings necessary. Make sure your dvd rom is the first boot device with the windows disk in the drive.

Did you reset it? Resetting is done with the computer off and removed from power. There's a jumper on the board for doing so and I think your board has a switch for doing so on the back of the MB. Refer to the MB manual for resetting the bios.

I looked around and it appears that there's pins for hooking up remote cmos resetting on your board go through that section and make sure you have the pins set right.

Did you reset it? Resetting is done with the computer off and removed from power. There's a jumper on the board for doing so and I think your board has a switch for doing so on the back of the MB. Refer to the MB manual for resetting the bios.

I looked around and it appears that there's pins for hooking up remote cmos resetting on your board go through that section and make sure you have the pins set right.

done that

same problem

This link has directions for resetting the cmos/bios it is also an excellent place to get some help with your build. These guys deal with striker problems all day.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070331185701036&board_id=1&model=Striker+Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Read this link.

http://kostakiss.com/blog/2007/07/08/asus-striker-extreme-cpu-init-error/

I hate to say I told you so but we said that MB was trouble.

Don't worry. Relax and you'll figure it out. Do you get a memory beep? Try one stick of memory like the link said.

This link has directions for resetting the cmos/bios it is also an excellent place to get some help with your build. These guys deal with striker problems all day.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070331185701036&board_id=1&model=Striker+Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Read this link.

http://kostakiss.com/blog/2007/07/08/asus-striker-extreme-cpu-init-error/

I hate to say I told you so but we said that MB was trouble.

Don't worry. Relax and you'll figure it out. Do you get a memory beep? Try one stick of memory like the link said.

its not the memory, i tried pulling the ram and got the ram warning

so its not the ram

That's no way of eliminating the ram as a problem. The ram could still be unstable at lower voltages even if it works fine. It could have errors. I would recommend testing it with memtest outside of windows. Many people will test ram chips every time they get new ones with memtest and if they fail they go straight back to the manufacturer.

Link to memtest.

http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/b_e.html

You tried only 1 stick in the last slot and you got a warning?

Post your problem in that forum I linked you I bet they know exactly what to do.

Check out the readers review from treberif on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813131074

It might be your new E6850 1333MHz CPU.

May be you have to update BIOS first.

The latest release was on July 26 for new 1333MHz FSB CPU for this MB.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Do you know how to do that? Do you still have your old PC that can download the NEW BIOS.

Download the latest 1303 version, and the one for All OS, don't download the DOS one.

I think that's a different error message than his. I read about that problem. It's very common. His is a cmos error message on the lcd readout.

Don't let it get you down. You can figure it out dude. This stuff is easy and you've got us to help.

You can't really update the bios if you can't get the machine up and running.

newegg and I did a deal. I bought a new CPU with overnight. They sent me a prepaid packing slip. Im sending my DOA CPU to them for free with no restocking fee "normaly charged on returns"

No im returning the DOA and buying a new....

It was going to take 10days to send off DOA have them look at it and send a new one.

This way we all win =)

From my experience, when a CPU is totally dead and not detected by motherboard its presence, the motherboard won't power up at all.

The CPU might be defected instead of DOA, but let's see what happen when you get a new CPU.

Sometimes, I am not comfortable shipping computer components via UPS or FedEx, they need to pack the stuff quick, so they might just throw them on/off the truck, and that could damage them during transportation and you can never tell how it goes bad. :confused:

From my experience, when a CPU is totally dead and not detected by motherboard its presence, the motherboard won't power up at all.

The CPU might be defected instead of DOA, but let's see what happen when you get a new CPU.

Sometimes, I am not comfortable shipping computer components via UPS or FedEx, they need to pack the stuff quick, so they might just throw them on/off the truck, and that could damage them during transportation and you can never tell how it goes bad. :confused:

when I got my first shipment newegg did the packing peanuts and bubble rap "my dog hates it"

You checked the motherboard pins to make sure they were all in the correct position? occasionally I find a few have been warped and I have to bend them back into position with a plastic tip. It could be as simple as that.

As for RMAing a dead CPU surely it's up to newegg to take back your CPU and replace it and refund the postage incurred by you. I know it would take a while to happen. OCUK can take up to a week at times and they are the fastest I've heard of.

Are you getting the new CPU for free?

You checked the motherboard pins to make sure they were all in the correct position? occasionally I find a few have been warped and I have to bend them back into position with a plastic tip. It could be as simple as that.

As for RMAing a dead CPU surely it's up to newegg to take back your CPU and replace it and refund the postage incurred by you. I know it would take a while to happen. OCUK can take up to a week at times and they are the fastest I've heard of.

Are you getting the new CPU for free?

What the deal is...

I bought a new CPU with overnight "I hate waiting"

THey sent me a packing slip so I could send on DOA CPU back for free. Once they get it they will take it as a return DOA and the CRS guy took of the restocking fee.

What the deal is...

I bought a new CPU with overnight "I hate waiting"

THey sent me a packing slip so I could send on DOA CPU back for free. Once they get it they will take it as a return DOA and the CRS guy took of the restocking fee.

So you get your money back for the CPU you send back to them as DOA? That sounds decent of them.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0