• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
badger77

New Imacs

30 posts in this topic

Well they arrived on time and I must admit have a few bits I don't know that much about.

The HD 2600 ATI card - any good ??

Also I see the top of range has the 2.8ghz extreme model which I never expected but guess would perform well.

http://www.apple.com/imac/

It's mighty fine as far as I can see. I will look into that card but I think it's probably good for the foreseeable future. The keyboard is a big question, I'd have to play with it before I accepted such an odd flat keyboard.

EDIT: So far I'd say the card is low-mid-range, for us probably OK especially with the new game engine. The old engine won't tax it much (remember the main fps trouble isn't the video card). It's basically a laptop video card, probably excellent for everything but the latest games. But the combo is probably way faster than my dual 2.0 G5/X800. That Core2Duo Extreme (the top end model) is a whale of a chip. This baby will sing under Leopard.

Plus it upgrades your desk to something out of Star Trek.

index_hero20070807.png

The guys over at Inside Mac Games cries their eye out over this card (check the Hardware forum).

But as you said Ahwulf, it is mainly a laptop card, and you can proberbly not have a much better card inside the tight iMac. To have a more powerful card with 256MB memory in such a tight space would proberbly overheat it quickly.

If you can find as good memory as the OE to a lower price do I recommend to pick the 2.4, since it comes with 1GB Ram, and upgrade it to the 2.8GHz. And then fill it up with as good memories but to a lower price (if you can find any that is). :cool:

I consider very strongly to buy me a 24". I will call my RAM-pusher tomorrow and ask him what he have up his sleeve (he is in the Mac-business).

Also, the new wireless keyboard comes without a keypad. It's like a wireless keyboard for a Laptop. Just so you know.

After checking around did I found this review of ATi's mid- and low-range cards in the 2x00 serie.

It is very likely that the 24" wont run WWIIOL very well with the HD 2600 Pro card. The screen is too big for it as it is already. Add to this that WWIIOL is quit demanding as it is.

Here is the crux…

Both the 2600 and 2400 cards will have 256MB of memory but the 2600 will talk to it across a 128-bit wide interface whereas the 2400 is restricted to a 64-bit width. These are relatively low figures when compared to the massive 512-bit interface used on the 2900 XT. However, the similarly priced nVidia cards also have their memory bandwidth restricted to similar figures. Fundamentally, the lower bandwidth is only an issue if you're running at high resolutions (above 1,600 x 1,200), which is something you shouldn't hope to be doing on cards of this calibre.

And since the 24" iMac is 1920x1200 is this machine stretched as it is already withhout running WWIIOLs demanding graphic.

The 20" iMac is 1620x1050 so this machine seems to be at the upper end so to speak. But I guess it still should run WWIIOL with decent performance.

Or is there something I missed that takes against my conclusion here?

I don't think the VC will that much of a difference. In any case you can always run at a lower resolution. I don't use my 1680x1050 in the game since the gui gets all stretched out of shape (though better in 127).

I cant find what bandwidth my x800xt is running on my dual g5.

i still think the GPU should be easily upgradeable. it wouldnt be too difficult to have a modled 'piece' that fits into a slot (think laptop pcmcia cards but with a mold that conforms to and matches the iMac exterior).

oh well.

i still think the GPU should be easily upgradeable. it wouldnt be too difficult to have a modled 'piece' that fits into a slot (think laptop pcmcia cards but with a mold that conforms to and matches the iMac exterior).

oh well.

Agree 100%

I ordered a 2.8Ghz iMac with 1GB and 750MB HD two days ago. :)

My RAM-pusher delievers 2GB memory sticks of excellent quality, so I will have a 3GB memory set-up from the beginning. Then will we see what all that can manage togheter. :cool:

Five days for assemble and another seven days for shipping (it is a long way from Irland to Sweden am I told :rolleyes: ). Man, am I excited or what. :D

My only concerns was what limitation the GPU might give. But after reading Ars Tech's review of the iMac am I quite confident that the iMac is the machine I've been waiting for.

The problem isn't matching the exterior but tying the thermal management of an upgrade card into the internal airflow for cooling. You either:

1) leave an over-sized thermal management (better-gpu= more power)system in the enclosure and hope that your thermal contact between the slide-in gpu (sans heatsink) and the thermal management system doesn't leave your gpu temperature too high

2) allow the system to account for the on-card thermal management system (say goodbye to thin systems and hello to a much larger blower to overcome additional airflow impedance and competing flow directions). The current airflow is balanced for the finstacks/impedances that it is designed for. To try and account for all market-potential finstack impedances/designs on one conduit section requires at least one airflow sensor added (and calibrated) into each unit and increasing the blower height (bad for thin enclosure). TBH, it probably couldn't be done without 2 sensors (one for each leg of the conduit and good deal of smu code to interpret the output of the sesnsors) and still requires increasing the size and noise of the existing blower.

3) disconnect the gpu thermal management system off from the cpu thermal management system (currently joined by heatpipes and common finstack). Assuming that the customer doesn't make a mistake in thermally attaching the gpu card to the Apple-designed gpu thermal-management system and that none of the baffles are dislodged/damaged by sliding the thermal control system into/out of the conduit, you still have added in an impedance from the additional GPU only cooling finstack.

The problem is compounded by the historically bad power-management code shipped by graphics companies especially with new products. The graphics companies get kudoes for performance so their code keeps the gpu spun up almost all the time (and often ignores system calls to reduce power). When the blower to cool the extra power is sitting 18" in front of your face, this may not be exactly what you want in a customer experience.

Please note that this is a personal response and in no way an official statement by Apple, Inc., or its Product Design group.

Please note that this is a personal response and in no way an official statement by Apple, Inc., or its Product Design group.

Do you work for Apple then? I was there briefly during the bad times in 1996 (BS, before Steve).

Worked in Apple's PD group for seven years. Left July 1 after finishing the Iphone. Now, I'm an engineer up in Sonoma wine country. Once my house in SJ sells, I'll be a relaxed man. :-)

Worked in Apple's PD group for seven years. Left July 1 after finishing the Iphone. Now' date=' I'm an engineer up in Sonoma wine country. Once my house in SJ sells, I'll be a relaxed man. :-)[/quote']

Its official. I hate you :)

Don't hate me yet. San Jose real estate market going through melt-down. :-)

Same here in San Diego. My condo is (apparently from what I have heard) worth $30,000 LESS than when I bought it 3 years ago.

Worked in Apple's PD group for seven years. Left July 1 after finishing the Iphone. Now' date=' I'm an engineer up in Sonoma wine country. Once my house in SJ sells, I'll be a relaxed man. :-)[/quote']

How do you engineer wine? No wonder you are relaxed :-)

ok, got the new 24" iMac with the 2.4 GHz and can't run the game at all. Seems to want to start, then shuts down and reports. Any suggestions?

I was fine on my G5 and did a migration to the iMac. Doesn't work at all, online or off.

I don't - I design these and similar items:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/62248/guided_artillery_projectile/

for a small research group in wine country.

Now, my previous career before Apple, I actually was an engineer designing breweries which were fabricated in Sonoma, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

Yikes! The game weapons must be tame compared to that beastie.

Downloaded full install and reinstalled. When I tried to start, didn't even get to splash screen. Got the dialog box that application unexpectedly quit.

New iMac 24" 24 GHz intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB ram.

Hmm, maybe the new video card. Is the quit message from Crashreporter with a stack trace, etc. That would help a lot.

You might try (1) change the screen resolution to something else (smaller size). (2) Run the beta. We did fix a bug in an early beta that might be the one causing this crash (affects a few folks in 126). If the beta works correctly I'd say you might have to wait for 127 (which is imminent).

I tried installing the game on my imac 24" at work to see what kind of performance it would get - I had similiar issues. I forgot exactly what resolution I had to set it at - but for me, it was a screen resolution issue. Even after I got it to work, there were still weird issues with how the weapon and hands looked. THey looked fine at first, but after shooting or reloading the hands would be completely grey and the weapon would loose all detail and just be flat colored areas, like someone filled the whole thing in with paint or something.

I would try different screen resolutions and see if that helps.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0