Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
obear71

IS my PC running to hot? Pic

18 posts in this topic

a screeny ofm speedfan, trying to work out why my PC keeps locking up intermitently, working on the over heating angle at the moment.

heres a screeny of speedfan monitoring my ssytem.

speedfan.jpg

what the norma tems they should be running at?

oh and here are some hot chics as payment.

pic1102.jpg

Suranne_Jones4.jpg

The only problem with overheating is crashing, if your pc's not crashing then the temperatures are fine and what you should do is add even more heat in the form of speed - mhz, by overclocking if you got room to spare. Youll know if your heat gets to much if your system starts crashing out of the blue, until then dont worry about it and add as much heat or speed as your systems allows, since heat is speed in overclocking terms.

Temp1 64C

.....that definitely sounds high to me, especially if it's a northbridge chip or a sensor elsewhere on the motherboard...

You only have 1 core, so I'm assuming this is an older system and not the newer one that you said you were interested in buying a little while back.

Some basic advice;

- make sure all fans and air filters (screens/filters sometimes placed in fan bays) are clean and free of dust

- open up your PC and take a good look at the amount of dust inside, give it a good general cleaning (ideally with compressed air and a good lint-free, static-free cloth or q-tips)

The only problem with overheating is crashing' date=' if your pc's not crashing then the temperatures are fine and what you should do is add even more heat in the form of speed - mhz, by overclocking if you got room to spare. Youll know if your heat gets to much if your system starts crashing out of the blue, until then dont worry about it and add as much heat or speed as your systems allows, since heat is speed in overclocking terms.[/quote']

I don't necessarily agree.

Overheating can cause freezing, lock ups, and general instability.

64C for temp1 definitely sounds high to me, especially if that's idle....

The temperatures look to be acceptable... maybe a tad on the hot side if the PC is idling...

You can check for dust in the heat sync and blow it out with a can of air. that tend solves my over-heating problems for a couple months until I have to blow it out again.

uhm no' date=' crashing is NOT the only problem. 60c is really damn hot for the CPU.[/quote']

Looks like his CPU is 36C, so I'm guessing Temp1 is a sensor on the motherboard, possibly a northbridge sensor....which means that temp is even worse...

motherboard components generally have less heat tolerance than CPUs.

uhm no' date=' crashing is NOT the only problem. 60c is really damn hot for the CPU.[/quote']

yeah your right, running a hot cpu lowers its life span from 20 years to maybe 10, unless youre planning to use the cpu 20 years from now I dont see any problem running a CPU hot as long as youre getting more performance out of it. If youre not overclocking and youre cpu is running hotter than normal, clean the heat sink and apply better thermal paste and then overclock it, might as well get more performance for all that heat.

I don't know that particular software but just by looking at it I read it a bit different.

I think the 64 C next to the flame is your highest temp recorded under load.

The number 36 underneath it with a down arrow is the low idle temp.

The number 36 at the bottom of the list is the current cpu temp and since it's at idle it's 36. If you where to download orthos and watch the same window I bet the bottom 36 would go up to the mid 60's at least.

I think your cpu is too hot. Anything over 60 celcius at load temps and I'd do something about it. The load temps you're seeing are probably not as hot as orthos can make it either. 70 celius is shut down temp on some cpus.

You need to make sure all your fans are working and clean the heat sinks. Sometimes to do a good job cleaning the cpu heat sink you must remove the fan.

The easiest and most effective case mod to curb a high temp cpu is to cut a hole in the side of the case and mount a fan blowing in on top of the cpu cooler. It can drop you 5-15 degrees depending on how your current setup is.

Here's an example but I'd probably cut the hole a little higher in your case to hit more cpu/mb/ram and less video card.

CopyofIMG_0646.jpg

It depends on the CPU IIRC AMD can run up to about 50C or a tad bit more but Intel I have heard of running 60C with no ill effect. Could also be a bad sensor did you run another program to verify your getting the right temp?

I run a top of range dual core AMD and the temp is 33 - 49 C so may be a bit high. My fan runs at around 2800 rpm to achieve this.

I have two side fans then a proper CPU fan. A very good CPU fan (not the one that comes with it) will lower your temp by 8 - 15 degrees generally.

If you do run the stock fan try these guys. very very good.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu.php

Pretty sure those are current temps......60c is hot for idle me thinks

I d/l speedfan and I'm showin temp1: 29c. temp2 29c. HD0 37c. core0 21c. core2 21c.

I'm running a E2160 1.8ghz p4 duelcore clocked to 2.4ghz

The old prescot p4s ran pretty hot but can't recall if that hot.

speedfan.jpg

yep, speedfan shows current temps in real time.

"Temp1", "Temp2", etc are motherboard temp sensors (possibly on north/southbridges, depends on the motherboard)

I've never seen a north or south bridge on the MB in the 60's celcius. It's always way cooler than the cpu even with the hottest cpu's made so far (thunderbird 1.4 amd & the intel p4). They were rated to run between 50-60 celcius.

The northbridge is always 5-10 degrees cooler than the cpu unless your fan has failed or your heat sink has fallen off. AMD's don't have a northbridge since the first 64bit single core's came out over 2 years ago. The southbridge is almost never a heat issue. It is rare to see one with a fan and many older one's didn't even have a heat sink. You may not have captured the screeny when it was at it's hottest either.

Did you look at your heat sinks and fans? Download orthos and run it for 15 minutes and tell us what speedfan reads then, if it will make it stable for 15 minutes. You may have lost a northbridge fan. That's pretty common. I've replaced quite a few.

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=199

well i need to upgrade but i also need to upgrade my daughters computer, she wont need a dual core for what she uses it for, so my PC is going to be good enough for her, but becasue it stuttering im tryign to solve the problem.

I have run a burn in program to test the cpu ram etc and got no errors.

i have cleaned out fans and heat sinks of dust last night.

i now ahve a fan blowing in the case to see if this helps. im still gettign stutters but they seem less frequent and less sevear.

now thast blwoing a 12 inch fan at full speed into the open PC case. if its still need to be cooler i dont knwo how to get it much cooler than that.

Is either the North or South bridge heat sinks on the MB loose?

If not than it's probably not an overheating problem if you're still getting stutters with the fan blowing in the side.

Are you still getting temp readings in the 60's or have they went down?

After a few years it's fairly common for windows to get a little corrupted. It's happened to me before. I've seen it do all kinds of funny stuff. Sometimes the best thing for a machine is to wipe it clean and reinstall everything new, as in reformatting the hard drive. If you do that before you give it to her it might just cure your stutter/unstability problem.

Sometimes a MB that's been around a while will have a few bios updates that improve stability, compatability, or performance. It might be worth looking at.

Is either the North or South bridge heat sinks on the MB loose?

If not than it's probably not an overheating problem if you're still getting stutters with the fan blowing in the side.

Are you still getting temp readings in the 60's or have they went down?

After a few years it's fairly common for windows to get a little corrupted. It's happened to me before. I've seen it do all kinds of funny stuff. Sometimes the best thing for a machine is to wipe it clean and reinstall everything new, as in reformatting the hard drive. If you do that before you give it to her it might just cure your stutter/unstability problem.

Sometimes a MB that's been around a while will have a few bios updates that improve stability, compatability, or performance. It might be worth looking at.

the fan helped dropping the temp from 65 to 59-60 i could drop my daughters hard drive preloaded with windows in here and if that helps i know its a HDD or windows problem.

yeah your right' date=' running a hot cpu lowers its life span from 20 years to maybe 10, unless youre planning to use the cpu 20 years from now I dont see any problem running a CPU hot as long as youre getting more performance out of it. If youre not overclocking and youre cpu is running hotter than normal, clean the heat sink and apply better thermal paste and then overclock it, might as well get more performance for all that heat.[/quote']

i have seen servers die from one instance of the AC unit failing. only a few hours running with the room at 39C ambient.

heat is evil.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0