NEC DVD-RW - X2

OCZ 2GB PC6400C4 RAM

Corsair 520W PSU

Western Digital 320GB AAKS hdd - X2

ATi Radeon X1950Pro 512mb

Abit IP35-E Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E2140 CPU

system2pu1.png

That's the system I'd go for at that budget. It's a little over the £500 but well worth it. There's nowhere I'd feel comfortabl shaving off any more. The graphics card is only £7 more then the 256MB version at the moment so well worth that. The harddrives are only £6 more then the 250GB non-AAKS versions so they're well worth that little extra too.

The CPU is the cheapest C2D you can get but with that motherboard and that RAM you can overclock it up close to 3Ghz probably. With the stock cooler it should reach 2.6-2.8 easily enough. If you want 3Ghz+ speeds then you'd need a third party cooler.

You can look around at the other CD-RWs yourself. Basically I just picked a silver one to go with the case. NEC are supposed to be decent as well. You can get the case in black if you'd prefer.

From this spec once you have it overclocked you'd be able to play Bioshock and hopefully Crysis in DX9 pretty much maxed out on 1280x1024.

ahhhh overclockers uk, forgot about that site, bought a copper shim from them 6 years ago for my old athlon.

how easy are the intel to overclock ? last time i overclocked anything it was pretty much alter the setting in the bios which was easy enough.

ahhhh overclockers uk, forgot about that site, bought a copper shim from them 6 years ago for my old athlon.

how easy are the intel to overclock ? last time i overclocked anything it was pretty much alter the setting in the bios which was easy enough.

Depends somewhat on the mobo but generaly yes just kick it up in the bios.

Some(maybe all?) asus boards come with a windows OC ute that works OK for basic clocking.

That e2140 should clock like darg said, only downside on these e21xx procs is smaller L2 than the e6xxx series and not sure that it makes alota difference in wwiiol. One warning on the lga775 socket, most of the fan/heatsink setups use a barbed plastic pin attachment deal. You gotta be a bit carefull attaching it to the mobo and making sure it's locked down.

The stock HSFs use the plastic barbs. So do some of the budget 3rd party coolers. The big heavy metal ones use backplates though.

Intels are quite easy to overclock and if you sign up to the overclockers forum you're sure to get plenty of help off everyone there.

the PSU is a concern' date=' unfortunatley im going to have to do same as i did last time which is run with the psu provided with the case (a 500w) and then upgrade to something better. I have been pleased with my old Enermax 350w so I may go up to 1 of their 500+w units[/quote']

Can't you buy a case with no PSU and save some cash?

Edit - I saw that you might have to wait before buying a better PSU, so this may not apply in your case...

Lian Li PC-7+ II

NEC DVD-RW - X2

OCZ 2GB PC6400C4 RAM

Corsair 520W PSU

Western Digital 320GB AAKS hdd - X2

ATi Radeon X1950Pro 512mb

Abit IP35-E Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E2140 CPU

system2pu1.png

That's the system I'd go for at that budget. It's a little over the £500 but well worth it. There's nowhere I'd feel comfortabl shaving off any more. The graphics card is only £7 more then the 256MB version at the moment so well worth that. The harddrives are only £6 more then the 250GB non-AAKS versions so they're well worth that little extra too.

The CPU is the cheapest C2D you can get but with that motherboard and that RAM you can overclock it up close to 3Ghz probably. With the stock cooler it should reach 2.6-2.8 easily enough. If you want 3Ghz+ speeds then you'd need a third party cooler.

You can look around at the other CD-RWs yourself. Basically I just picked a silver one to go with the case. NEC are supposed to be decent as well. You can get the case in black if you'd prefer.

From this spec once you have it overclocked you'd be able to play Bioshock and hopefully Crysis in DX9 pretty much maxed out on 1280x1024.

That's beautiful. I knew darg would have the goods for the UK crowd. That 2160 is the best budget processor out right now. The 1 meg of cache is no big deal. You can slot something better later.

Check out this article on the e2160.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-e2160.html

If you get quality on the other components there's no reason you shouldn't be able to hit 3ghz with that thing. A decent aftermarket cpu cooler would all but assure it. The arctic cooling freezer7 pro is very reasonably priced and it's leaps and bounds ahead of the stock intel cooler. They're typically $25-30 in the states.

The AC Freezer can be found on OCUK as well. Good little cooler but some people got loud ones. I think it was a production fault with some so I'm sure it's better now.

It would certainly let you reach 3Ghz on that CPU.

I believe the CPU uses an 8X multiplier so you'd be looking at around a 375FSB on the motherboard with the RAM running at 750. If the CPU is good you can probably get it up to around 3.2Ghz or a 400FSB and memory running stock speeds at 800mhz.

As always just come to us here when you get your system and we'll help you overclock it =)

The E2160 uses a 9X multiplier, but yea I'm reading some are getting both the 2140 and 2160 above 3ghz on air.

Seems the kind of mobo plays more into getting above 3ghz.

I've heard that the e2140 isn't getting near as good of overclocking results as the e2160. I haven't heard of an e2140 making 3ghz yet. Many e2160's are. The e2160 uses a 9x multiplier so it doesn't require as high of a fsb speed to reach the same clock as the e2140 which uses the 8x.

xbit labs beat out an e6800 extreme edition in most of the benches they ran with an overclocked e2160@3.4. With a processor that's under $100 they bested the $900 model.

i may source from a different supplier (depends if i want to pay out in full now or get it through interest free credit (which i have started putting money aside for anyway))

if i do the main changed would only be the cpu, cheapest they do is an E4300, but their E4400 is only £0.11 more inc tax. only other changes would be corsair memory of same spec and a coolermaster case. Pushes the price up to £567.04

I do have a real noob question though. will the mobo be supplied with enough sata cables or will i need to acquire more - assume 4 in total needed and also where can i get a dvi-vga cable/adaptor, my monitor only has the old style connector (small chance of sourcing something for this from work)

It depends on the MB brand. Abit is famous for giving you every connector you need with the mB in the box. Mine has 11 Sata ports on the MB and abit gave me 11 sata cables in the box. I was impressed. They always give you a floppy and ata cable too. I spend the extra $10 or so for rounded ata and floppy cables for better airflow and a cleaner wiring setup than the ribbon style that come with the board.

Your video card will come with a dvi to vga adapter. They can be found on any decent computer parts site somewhere in the accessories or cables area.

Think about a floppy drive. On newegg they're under $10. On my machine the drivers for the MB chipset sata controllers necessary to install windows came on floppies. That's the only reason I still install a floppy is for the MB driver disks that seem to always come on floppies.

They also have cool new floppy drives with memory card readers built in. Kind of trick if you use your digital camera a lot. Card readers are nice to have.

It depends on the MB brand. Abit is famous for giving you every connector you need with the mB in the box. Mine has 11 Sata ports on the MB and abit gave me 11 sata cables in the box. I was impressed. They always give you a floppy and ata cable too. I spend the extra $10 or so for rounded ata and floppy cables for better airflow than the ribbon style that come with the board.

Your video card will come with a vga to dvi adapter most likely. They can be found on any decent computer parts site somewhere in the accessories or cables area.

cool thnx, i remember getting cables before but that was it was just a case of chucking in a couple ide ribbon cables

also should i pick up some therml paste or again is it likely to be include (perhaps with the cpu) i basically want to get all i need in 1 hit as getting this delieved is going to be a pain :)

The stock cooler will come with heat paste on it ready to place on the cpu. The cpu comes with nothing on it. If you buy an aftermarket cooler they sometimes come with their own paste but generally not. I'd only use the stock paste if you use the stock cooler. Otherwise buy some. Usually it's under $5 for enough for the rest of your life. They sell you enough for like 30 cpu's.. hehe

I'd recommend arctic silver ceramique or zalman zL1 paste if you want the best. If you just want some good stuff for fairly cheap get some arctic silver 5.

Well even with the 8x multiplier you don't need that high a FSB. Only 400 for 3.2Ghz like I said above. That's not excessively high.

I'd still go with the Lian Li case. One of the best cases for airflow around and Lian Li case build quality is just perfect. After building with one I'd never choose anything different. :)

Well even with the 8x multiplier you don't need that high a FSB. Only 400 for 3.2Ghz like I said above. That's not excessively high.

I'd still go with the Lian Li case. One of the best cases for airflow around and Lian Li case build quality is just perfect. After building with one I'd never choose anything different. :)

i have heard good things about those lian cases, its just the other suppliers didnt have any. I was looking at scan.co.uk, not brilliant on price but ive used them before and the finance option makes buying from them more appealing. Anything they have you could recommend ?

I'll have a look at them but I'd always recommend OCUK even if only for their customer support. No RMA would take me longer then a week from postage to replacement in my house and that's with me living in Ireland.

Also the fact that you can call up any time 9-5 weekdays and get straight through to a support guy that knows what he's talking about is great. I'm having a problem with them at the moment about my 4th motherboard replacement of the same type but that's not really their fault but the manufacturers themselves.

I too recomend Lain Li case. Everything is well finished and well thought out on them.

Okay I've found the same or equivalent pieces for you in scan.co.uk.

The overall price is about £17 higher. The case will not be as high a quality as the Lian Li but you do get a slightly better CPU. After overclocking though the only difference between the two would be the 2mb cache of the E4400 over the 1mb cache of the E2140. That won't make much difference in games though. If you want you can go with the e4400 with ocuk for just £33 more on that price which brings it to £16 more then the scan.co.uk price. Personally I'd pay that £16 for the better case and better customer service from OCUK.

Like I said before. If you RMA something to them on a Monday you are almost assured of a replacement by that Friday. I haven't heard of any other place being that good.

Anyway here is the spec from scan:

system1oh5.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0