Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saerdna

How to fix Stutters

20 posts in this topic

I had bad very bad stutters air and land. Especially heavy loaded areas and on air every time i dove to bomb either would miss target cuase of stutters or eat dirt.

So what I did I went in options put everything in performance. Then change my vis into far, enable some mazzle lights etc cause they give me the positionof the enemy when it fires

BUT

the huge thing was I DISABLED No frame run ahead

This get read off 95% of the stutters only stutters i got was some when dived and thats like 1 here or there not all the tie as before. If you have it enable and getting bad stutters go disable it and hopefully will work for you as well.

Another thing i did was to make audio from 128 to 64 and there is another option from frequent I made it infrequent or something like that.

No stutters on land, very very few on air I even hitt 100 fps on air in middle on nowhere at 2k :D.

My PC is AMD 64 3k+, 1.5 gig RAM, 6800gt Nvidia.

P4 3.2 HT

X1950 512Mb

1.5Gb Ram

I always run 16 sounds & No frame run ahead Disabled but i'll tinker with it & report back.

the huge thing was I DISABLED No frame run ahead

I've said that from the very beginning.

No Frame Run Ahead should *ALWAYS* be disabled.

I've said that from the very beginning.

No Frame Run Ahead should *ALWAYS* be disabled.

BTW what Frame Run Ahead does?

It also helps if you have a real sound card (e.g SoundBlaster) rather than on-board;

- Select the named sound card entry as your sound card instead of Primary Sound Device

- Set sound system to Hardware.

If you have an onboard sound chip like a RealTek or AC97, all of your 3D sound is emulated by your CPU which can account for a HUGE hit, and when the game tries to load new sounds for playing, it can cause stutters.

Its one of the cheapest and most effective performance boosts for a LOT of people.

It also helps if you have a real sound card (e.g SoundBlaster) rather than on-board;

- Select the named sound card entry as your sound card instead of Primary Sound Device

If you have an onboard sound chip like a RealTek or AC97, all of your 3D sound is emulated by your CPU which can account for a HUGE hit, and when the game tries to load new sounds for playing, it can cause stutters.

Its one of the cheapest and most effective performance boosts for a LOT of people.

I have my on board sound card disabled and not using any sound card at all.

I have USB Sharkoon Majestic 5.1 emulated headphones.

5.1 channel headset

• 8 speakers for perfect surround sound

• Subwoofer with vibration

• Ext. USB sound card incl. high-end amplifier (Master Volume Control)

• Wired remote control for sound fine-tuning (Volume individually adjustable for each channel)

• Automatic stereo/5.1 switching

• 4-in-1 volume control (seperate volume adjustment for each channel)

• Detachable microphone

• Extremely high wearing comfort: cushioned head strap and turnable ear pads

Is a sound card better than the headphones I use? On sound I use software do you think Hardware will be better?

I have both onboard ac97 & a soundblaster card, it makes no difference what mode I run them in...same FPS...look at town single digits with the destroyed building smoke.

Well yesterday at Moerdig was in like 15 fps and was getting a few stutters but not frquent. It seems most time was either when a plane was coming in the view and some time when I was firing after that I had a stutter.

It has fixed the issue a lot but still getting some.

I have my on board sound card disabled and not using any sound card at all.

I have USB Sharkoon Majestic 5.1 emulated headphones.

5.1 channel headset

• 8 speakers for perfect surround sound

• Subwoofer with vibration

• Ext. USB sound card incl. high-end amplifier (Master Volume Control)

• Wired remote control for sound fine-tuning (Volume individually adjustable for each channel)

• Automatic stereo/5.1 switching

• 4-in-1 volume control (seperate volume adjustment for each channel)

• Detachable microphone

• Extremely high wearing comfort: cushioned head strap and turnable ear pads

Is a sound card better than the headphones I use? On sound I use software do you think Hardware will be better?

USB uses the CPU to run the sound so a good sound card would be better and not use as much cpu cycles.

Vertical Syncing and No Frame Run Ahead are huge fps hogs. Disable them. Also make sure your firewall is allowing UDP on the WWIIOL ports.

Ingame settings, upper left of map while despawned. Click "video system" on

left side of settings screen then you'll see the no frame run ahead option on the right.

Vertical Syncing and No Frame Run Ahead are huge fps hogs. Disable them. Also make sure your firewall is allowing UDP on the WWIIOL ports.

Wrong

Vetical sync is NOT and FPS hog

it does not lose you any fps at all.

Listen....

Vertical sync aka lock to refresh preforms to following function.

Limits displayed FPS to your monitors FPS capablility by drawing only 1 frame per refresh cycle of your monitor.

Every monitor has a frequency it runs at on a given resolution.

It redraws the screen that many times a second.

72 Hz means the monitor can only change whats on screen 72 times a second.

PERIOD.

It can not draw 100 frames a second, nor 200, those extra frames are lost, they are not drawn (for all practical purposes)

The GPU use by the video card to render them is totaly wasted.

Locking to refresh only means your video card wont waste time drawing frames that you wont see.

And if you arent running at an FPS beyond your refresh rate, it doesnt matter anyway, it wont make your FPS go down at all.

If you monitor runs at 85Hz, and your video card can do a max of 60fps, vertical sync will not make your FPS go lower.

And if your video card is capable of 300fps in game, since you cant draw more than 85fps anyways, it also will make no difference, except in the frame rate counter.

It wont make your FPS drop to ugly numbers.

Raw FPS numbers are only good for tuning and benchmarking, beyond that, you cant see any more fps than your monitor can cycle in Hz.

And in some cases, it actualy looks horrible as the monitor (since it is out of sync with the video card) renders half drawn frames and other anomolies reffered to as ripping and tearing.

Frame run ahead is (if i get this right) a kind of prerendering buffer, it like qeues up frame in advance, and yea its not of much use, and can slow things down.

XL2RIPPR:

What sound card do you have?

If perchance it is an audigy or audigy2 LE version, then not it wont perform good, thats the budget line and its 100% software driven, unlike the full audigies that are 100% hardware.

If thats not the case could you open a new thread with sys specs?

Will see if we can help.

I am not seeing Run Ahead in Settings. Where is it located?

It is no longer in the game engine

CRS removed it when they determined it wasnt a useful feature.

In game, Video System setting tab:

"No Frame Run Ahead"

I run this option unchecked, which i think is reccomended. (?)

It is no longer in the game engine

CRS removed it when they determined it wasnt a useful feature.

uhhh its still there. Its in the settings tab in the game and its located in either the first or second option. I believe it is the second one down.

If your Disabling "Noframe Run Ahead" don't scream like a little girl in the hangar when you start lag ramming EA from what seems to be a 50-100m out.

Your computer will think you were going to ram 10-15 frames in the future and kill you then and there.

Sometimes triple digits on an FPS counter doesn't make for good gameplay, folks.

Good Hunting! Drive2xs

Wrong

Vetical sync is NOT and FPS hog

it does not lose you any fps at all.

Listen....

Vertical sync aka lock to refresh preforms to following function.

Limits displayed FPS to your monitors FPS capablility by drawing only 1 frame per refresh cycle of your monitor.

Every monitor has a frequency it runs at on a given resolution.

It redraws the screen that many times a second.

72 Hz means the monitor can only change whats on screen 72 times a second.

PERIOD.

It can not draw 100 frames a second, nor 200, those extra frames are lost, they are not drawn (for all practical purposes)

The GPU use by the video card to render them is totaly wasted.

Locking to refresh only means your video card wont waste time drawing frames that you wont see.

And if you arent running at an FPS beyond your refresh rate, it doesnt matter anyway, it wont make your FPS go down at all.

If you monitor runs at 85Hz, and your video card can do a max of 60fps, vertical sync will not make your FPS go lower.

And if your video card is capable of 300fps in game, since you cant draw more than 85fps anyways, it also will make no difference, except in the frame rate counter.

It wont make your FPS drop to ugly numbers.

Raw FPS numbers are only good for tuning and benchmarking, beyond that, you cant see any more fps than your monitor can cycle in Hz.

And in some cases, it actualy looks horrible as the monitor (since it is out of sync with the video card) renders half drawn frames and other anomolies reffered to as ripping and tearing.

Frame run ahead is (if i get this right) a kind of prerendering buffer, it like qeues up frame in advance, and yea its not of much use, and can slow things down.

XL2RIPPR:

What sound card do you have?

If perchance it is an audigy or audigy2 LE version, then not it wont perform good, thats the budget line and its 100% software driven, unlike the full audigies that are 100% hardware.

If thats not the case could you open a new thread with sys specs?

Will see if we can help.

Not wrong.

My data supports a gain in FPS for anybody who disables this, especially for 60 Hertz LCD monitors. So what is the game doing while it's waiting for the monitor to sync? Is it storing things in memory? Is it dropping frames? Is it wasting cpu cycles waiting? Do you really know? All I know is that this reduces stutters and increases frames for everybody I know who had it enabled. Your theory is not born out in observation.

Vertical Sycing..locks the draw cycle to the beginning of the refresh rate. If the rate is drawing and the card can produce another draw..the card waits for the cycle to begin.

So, if your refresh rate is 60hz..which is window's default refresh..your card can draw

the formula being FPS=RefreshRate/N where N is 1-somevalue..usally 10

You will see for a refresh rate..

60fps N=1

30fps N=2

20fps N=3

15fps N=4 etc.

If your card could draw ...59 FPS..you will not see the values in between. So with VS off you will see an increase in the values of your fps because the card draws the continous values and not discrete ones. You can raise your rate with VS on by simply raising your refresh rate. Turn off VS and raise the refresh rate and you will see higher FPS and less eye strain.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0