Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zype

Turn off rudder

15 posts in this topic

How do you turn the rudder off in aircraft? I have a twist-rudder joystick and it's really annoying when I move the rudder by mistake. Hunting a Havoc in a 110 at <100m is impossible. I can't find rudder axis in the keymap, there is something about the rudder under the controller tab but I don't understand how it works. I would still like to keep the rudder but on the keyboard instead, maybe on Z and X same as breakes, if possible.

Don't have the game in front of me, but I'm pretty sure Yaw is the value you want in the keymapper section.

Aha thanks! :)

It's so much better to fly with it off but I realise there are a few situations I need it. Since it is an axis there's no way to set it to keyboard buttons, right?

Aha thanks! :)

It's so much better to fly with it off but I realise there are a few situations I need it. Since it is an axis there's no way to set it to keyboard buttons, right?

Sure, get rudder pedals. :D

Since it is an axis there's no way to set it to keyboard buttons' date=' right?[/quote']

yes there is, just simply map it to keys.

It wont be nearly as good as a twist stick though unless you hand edit the cfml files and tailor the rudder input.

I would recommend changing the sensitivity of it in the keymapper instead of turning it off. That way, a little inadvertant twist won't register, but you'll still have the control when you need it. Pull the square down and to the right to skew the response curve in that fashion. Or even pull the bar on the left side in (I believe) to create a dead zone before twist movement registers at all.

- Weiker

I would recommend changing the sensitivity of it in the keymapper instead of turning it off. That way, a little inadvertant twist won't register, but you'll still have the control when you need it. Pull the square down and to the right to skew the response curve in that fashion. Or even pull the bar on the left side in (I believe) to create a dead zone before twist movement registers at all.

- Weiker

That last thing sounds good. There are 3 rudder axis in the list under the controller tab: Rudder X Axis, Rudder Y Axis and Rudder Z Axis. Which one should I do this in? I tried moving the left green bar in all 3 close to the red dot in the middle but didn't notice any difference.

That last thing sounds good. There are 3 rudder axis in the list under the controller tab: Rudder X Axis' date=' Rudder Y Axis and Rudder Z Axis. Which one should I do this in? I tried moving the left green bar in all 3 close to the red dot in the middle but didn't notice any difference.[/quote']

Rudder X and Y refers to the left and right rudder pedal controls. Rudder Z refers to Pedal braking. This is only if you actually have real Rudder Pedals. I don't think it has anything to do with setting up the key mapper as a rudder.

my website has a full tutorial of the calibration screen, it's for the previous UI but it's function is exactly the same with more simple graphics is all...

by the way, there is also a sticky thread in the hanger with how to reduce rudder oversensitivity (by me) for shorter throw rudder controls.

oh, in the controllers screen, you need to only make the adjustment on the joystick axis that is actually mapped to "YAW".

it's not "rudder-x axis", "rudder-y axis", and "rudder z-axis", it's "ROTATIONAL X-aix", ect... shortened to "RZ axis", "RY axis", ect (most sticks don't have RY and RX).

the controllers screen is simply a list of the possible different axes that you'd have on your controllers, it has nothing to do with what is mapped to what. you simply choose the joystick axis that you want to modify the scaling on... so go and see what you have mapped to "yaw" (probably joystick one RZ-axis) and then go and modify that one joystick axis in the keymapper..

x is usually the left/right of the main stick (rudder pedals it is a toe brake)

y is usually the up/down of the main stick (rudder pedals it is a toe brake)

z is usually the throttle on throttle and stick type controllers (x-45, cougar)

slider 1 is usually the throttle on stick only type controllers (saitek evo, ect), it can be a trim knob on a hotas type controller (throttle and stick)

slider 2 is usually a trim knob on a hotas type controller and nothing on stick only

rx is rare to find but it may be a trim knob on a hotas or on a dual analog controller

ry is rare to find but it may be a trim knob on a hotas or on a dual analog controller

rz is generally a controllers rudder control, the twist stick or rudder paddles on the x-45. this is usually the main rudder axis on rudder pedals

in ww2ol you can have up to 4 controllers (each having a max of 8 axes, 4pov hats, 32 buttons), a mouse, a track IR, keyboard mapped and working at the same time in any vehicle in ww2ol.

here are the links to the tutorial...

http://spoon.battlegroundwiki.info/calibration1.htm

http://spoon.battlegroundwiki.info/calibration2.htm

http://spoon.battlegroundwiki.info/calibration3.htm

http://spoon.battlegroundwiki.info/calibration4.htm

http://spoon.battlegroundwiki.info/calibration5.htm

http://spoon.battlegroundwiki.info/calibration6.htm

here are links to the calib file and cfml file tutorials also

http://spoon.battlegroundwiki.info/global1.htm

http://spoon.battlegroundwiki.info/cfml1.htm

http://spoon.battlegroundwiki.info/cfml2.htm

also I have several sticky threads in various forums with tons of information.

my PM box is always open!

happy hunting!

oh and to properly use a keyboard rudder, it's a bit tricky.

you cannot just "map them in the keymapper" as merlin suggests at all..

you need to set up three buttons, one for move rudder left, move rudder right, and one for "center rudder". this is due to the way keybaord commands are executed in the game code...

If you do a search, I've made a ton of posts with how to do this (and it should be in one of my sticky threads in the hanger but it may not be).

if you really want to try to use keyboard keys (it's really clunky), I'll help, just shoot me a pm and I'll send you the cfml code...

I read some of that but I'm not sure I understood it. Think it's supposed to be like this:

joystickcalibration.jpg

I'm not sure if I can feel any difference. Is it correct?

I read some of that but I'm not sure I understood it. Think it's supposed to be like this:

joystickcalibration.jpg

I'm not sure if I can feel any difference. Is it correct?

Erm well what youve done is make a big deadzone, but it might not be as big ingame is it seems in the graphic.

In anycase, youve limited yourself to a sudden max rudder with the above.

That is the RZ axis right?

What you probably really want to do is, drag that green bar back to the left, nearly all the way.

Now grab the red square, and drag it down to the very bottom, and perhaps in the middle, left/right wise.

This will make your rudder input nearly nothing until you get about 1/2 way into your twist.

Be forewarned though, the rudder will react fairly quick after you pass the halfway point.

Try this 1st, and if its ok except the rudder is too much when you are meaning to use it, post back and ill show you how to limit its overall input.

you cannot just "map them in the keymapper" as merlin suggests at all..

Well you could, i didnt say it was the best option.

rudder.txt

Actually that didn't do what you descried that it would. This is really strange. Everyone sais the green lines are for deadband but I found a solution and I didn't need to touch them.

I simply moved the little red dot a bit to the right. Yes that's it. :D Now the rudder doesn't take effect until I twist it more than half way.

Thanks for the help!

Actually that didn't do what you descried that it would. This is really strange. Everyone sais the green lines are for deadband but I found a solution and I didn't need to touch them.

I simply moved the little red dot a bit to the right. Yes that's it. :D Now the rudder doesn't take effect until I twist it more than half way.

Thanks for the help!

I've had issues with that dead band control. It seems to work for some vehicles but not others and you also have to make sure you are actually setting the joystick you think you're setting. It's confusing until you get it working somewhat.

Play with dead banding the joystick with a truck. You'll notice the difference. I have trouble saving the settings in that too. I have to leave the controller screen and then come back and then the settings take effect. Bug I think. The expected way is that if you close the map, your settings take immediate effect. So spawn an opel and go to your map and change the dead bands, then close the map and test it. It's supposed to be immediate but I actually have to click some tabs on the map screen first, come back to the controller screen, close the map and then it takes effect.

Essentially that white line with the square on it is a power band graph. As you move the joystick along the axis, that line maps the input(how much you move) to the output(how much you see on the screen). It's a function. Put in X(horizontal) get out Y(Vertical). You can change the function by moving that little square around. You can create dead banding by changing the function too. In fact that's how I do it. But that's a bit advanced, so for now just try to get a truck dead banded using the left vertical line on your regular joystick's X-Axis and then play with the dead band and graph and you'll start to get what's going on. Spawn an Opel, open map, settings, controllers, make settings, close map test settings. If you see no change then try clicking some tabs in the map window before closing the map.

Dead banding doesn't work for Axis tanks, at least for me. The opel works great. Aircraft work great. Panzers, nope.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0