Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raptor

Apple to transition to Intel processors

36 posts in this topic

Apple has been leading a secret life behind the scenes and already has a version of OS X that runs on Intel machines. While this rumor has been bouncing around for quite a while, it's startling to some of us that Apple is already so far along in development.

I've been hoping for a long time that Apple would head in this direction, and now my wish is coming true - Imagine the possibilities!

Apple also announced today the availability of a Developer Transition Kit, consisting of an Intel-based Mac development system along with preview versions of Apple’s software, which will allow developers to prepare versions of their applications which will run on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs. The Developer Transition Kit is available starting today for US$999, which includes a 3.6GHz Pentium 4 (a lease until the product launch) running a preview version of Mac OS X 10.4.1, to all Apple Developer Connection Select and Premier members.

I think the Mac PPC version may evolve to PS/3 or Xbox2 (big endians) and I may continue to play in 2006 (or 2007)

I had enough with x86 for 8 years. count me off from mactel :)

The relative ease with which application developers can port to Mac with this switch takes some of the sting away for me - I just bought a dual 2.7ghz Power Mac with 2.5 g/ram and lots of goodies.

The switch also portends an era of reasonably priced hardware to go along with the OS I consider the best available - As a graphic designer and web developer, Apple hardware prices have been one of the biggest drawbacks for me.

Another reality is, IBM just hasn't been keeping up with Intel or AMD of late and the RISC processor has run into some major barriers IBM just hasn't been able to overcome - nor is expected to in the foreseeable future.

If Windows emulation is alot faster on x86 OSX. Doesnt it get harder to justify OSX native ports?

If Windows emulation is alot faster on x86 OSX. Doesnt it get harder to justify OSX native ports?

Good question.

Microsoft and Adobe were on stage at the keynote and seemed very excited about writing their apps to OSX on Intel. The Adobe CEO was giddy. Go figure ...

I was pretty much "WTF" about this whole thing, then I watched the Keynote ... this now seems be a very good move by Apple.

Yeh i watched keynote aswell.

But im skeptical that in the long run developers wont justify funding entire MAC departments, unless Apple market share grows considerably.

Are they planning on letting OSX loose on Dells, HP etc... Cos if not, im worried.

But im skeptical that in the long run developers wont justify funding entire MAC departments, unless Apple market share grows considerably.

Are they planning on letting OSX loose on Dells, HP etc... Cos if not, im worried.

No, they are not. OSX for Mactel will not run on other PCs, but Windows will run on the Mactel ... no more emulation needed.

Now Dell is really rival of Apple along with Microsoft OS department.

I can easily guess who will win and I am not happy about it.

ps: Dell as a cheap, bulk PC manufacturer, put any brand you wish

Apple is capitalizing on the success of Tiger in a big way - when Longhorn releases, it wouldn't surprise me to see Jobs demo it side by side on the same machine with Leopard.

Apple is on a roll and it's apparent they've been planning this move for some time. Jobs must feel this is the time to strike while MicroSoft is behind the eight-ball with their new OS, and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't take a page from Bill Gates playbook and license Leopard. Then you would see OS X on DElls, HP's , etc. and it would be a whole new ballgame.

Worried? This is the smartest thing Apple could have done. Just seeing Apple and Intel on the same stage to gether has got me dreaming about a dual quad-core 4ghtz laptop.

And oh, Virtual PC is kaput - Yayyy!

Basically Apple is tested hardware / software package just like Digidesigns ProTools. As long as you can buy this together and it will be working as good today I am game. It should be more expensive than Win / Linux because it gives you little or no headache. Right!

Can anyone tell me if this is BS?

www.transitive.com

tough to believe what they say they can do, but if it is true... then woah

Just finished watching the keynote, so what they have is rosetta. Sweet. Someone posted that link on another website..... so there are a bunch of these out now..... I love how technology progresses and make life, faster, better, easier, and cooler.

Just the way CSS seperates design from content - I'm hoping one day to be able to make hardware purchases independant of operating system considerations.

Now I hope that MicroSoft follows suit. In a competition to create the best OS, the consumer wins hands down. Apple will still design and sell hardware - they're good at it. Think how well a 2 ghtz cross platform mini-Mac would sell right now!

Apple market share is growing right now. Switching to Intel will make it grow faster. Since PCs & Macs will have the same hardware, the equation becomes simpler and the excuses fewer, it'll be:

Windows on a beige box vs OSX on cool Apple hardware.

No contest. Apple market share will soar. And that will justify continued Mac development.

I know I'll be happy as pie if...

1) we are able to use/upgrade PC-part GPUs from nVidia & ATI into these Macs

2) we are able to upgrade the CPU as needed

Imagine that, going to Newegg & buying an uprade GPU & CPU for your Mac at PC prices. drooool

The notion that I'll be able to play WWIIOL on an Intel-based Mac at the same FPS as a PC will be awesome. We'll no longer be 2nd class (more like 10th) in gaming.

The thing in action will happen next year yes?

I think some guy at Cornered Rat (CRS) should tell what will happen to our G5 macs running ww2 online.

No need to hurry but I am confused here a bit. MAc game sites give mixed stuff etc and they forgot CRS to ask I bet.

As I said, no need to hurry. A statement would be fine, I don't think even the powerpc geniuses out there could "understand" what the heck apple just did.

I mean, I can tell here easily. If you cease PPC development, I am buying a whatever 64 with Windows 64 on it.

You can see from my records (yearly subscriber) that I trust to CRS. The problem is: I don't trust to Apple here anymore.

I just remember what happened after Commodore released Intel based PC, bad to be old timer sometimes :)

transitive

They seem legitimate.

What their coding seems to do is identify and optimize the OS by identifying the commonly used, repeatedly used code segments (if that's the term)

I am assuming this means there are less calls to various parts of the code, a short of "shorthand" develops and is employed for emulation.

Not sure just how well that can work or if.

But transitive has been around for a while.

Who knows :?:

The thing in action will happen next year yes?

I think some guy at Cornered Rat (CRS) should tell what will happen to our G5 macs running ww2 online.

No need to hurry but I am confused here a bit. MAc game sites give mixed stuff etc and they forgot CRS to ask I bet.

As I said, no need to hurry. A statement would be fine, I don't think even the powerpc geniuses out there could "understand" what the heck apple just did.

I mean, I can tell here easily. If you cease PPC development, I am buying a whatever 64 with Windows 64 on it.

You can see from my records (yearly subscriber) that I trust to CRS. The problem is: I don't trust to Apple here anymore.

I just remember what happened after Commodore released Intel based PC, bad to be old timer sometimes :)

Not sure if you have seen the keynote video yet, but Jobs kept talking about "universal binaries" where teh compiled code is workable on both platforms, and when you install it on your comp, it then determines which form to install.

I don't think Apple will leave any of the G series out to dry because that would be stupid, something they have hit before, and they are well accustomed to transitions

All we really need to do is switch to compiling with XCode instead of Codewarrior. Building a universal binary for WWIIOL should not be hard. The only annoying part is that the download size will be a bit bigger. The code already deals with byte order; it just needs to deal with it without assumption on the OS as the determining factor. Rick wants to switch to XCode anyway so I doubt that's any problem.

I bought PPC processor based Operating System (mac g5 1600) based on my own decision.

Well, easy part: ww2 online, if chokes, I buy a AMD 64 with XP 64 on it and live happily

I can't force any company to code a entire different thing for same processor while their code running on directx is there.

At least, speaking for myself. Oh, also I lost all my trust to Apple :) but we speak about ww2 online game here right? So, issue is solved for me at least, I don't have questions for future.

I think CRS can use the huge amount of work they did on PPC platform on the new PS 3 and XBox, "World War 2 online" dvd box for xbox (whatever uses g5)

At least' date=' speaking for myself. Oh, also I lost all my trust to Apple :)[/quote']

My opinion is, that people need to chill out a bit ;) Fundamentally this is only a processor change. Apple will still deliver those darn handsome boxes which run Mac OS X. I've been through the transitions with Apple, and I'm going to keep following them. This is not (really) a religious thing for me, but there is no way I'll run anything on Windows at my place.

After the initial confusion I'm starting to like the idea of Apple running on Intel's processors. Especially as a Mac-gamer. There is a lot of rework being done inside the box to make this transition and I'm sure we're lucky to be able to 'join the rest of the world' in hardware options. Apple will undoubtedly keep the price points and the segmentation strictly in their hands but we're in for nice surprises...

The market share is rising, but in a controlled manner. That will benefit us all.

The times are truly changing. I suppose I won't be sticking another 'Intel inside' sticker to the side of my toilet :)

Actually I think gaming is going to move more and more to consoles.

So what happens on desktops, if they are around, not having died out to laptops completely is less important.

However, this type of thinking could be totally erroneous :lol:

Yup Interesting times await us :D

Of course for newbie PPC/ WW2 Online users:

Your invest is safe, CRS won't send a "magic" command as "look Steve likes intel, lets kill PowerPC development" etc

All Macs are PPC now :)

We speak about the geek things.

If you have a dual 2.5 ghz Mac desktop, send benchmarks to "Steve The Genius" at Apple :)

(as apple still not stating anything except dashboard at their front page, some software/hardware sales stopped)

I've got a baaaaad feeling about this one- Mac will no longer be a computer appliance supplier, so much as an OS supplier. Where have all OS's gone in the past 20 years?

I love OS/2, it gave me my start in computers, but it was buried by the same company that gave it birth (and crippled it).

Linux? On the desktop? Um... No. Not "yet," it's just not yet supportable, though there are distributions that are better than others. Besides it runs on X. Ew enough! "A mistake, perfectly implemented."

MS won't sit by on this one.

You are too similar to my experience, even I had OS/2 V3 and was amazed right that time.

I have a huge doubt for future.

It is simple logic:

If IBM nor Motorolla cant deliver the needed CPU, its time to move on.

Not sad but a tad dissapointed by the way its gone.

Motorolla already dropped it, thus the move to IBM, but now IBM is only interested in making game chips.

Apple is capitalizing on the success of Tiger in a big way - when Longhorn releases, it wouldn't surprise me to see Jobs demo it side by side on the same machine with Leopard.

Apple is on a roll and it's apparent they've been planning this move for some time. Jobs must feel this is the time to strike while MicroSoft is behind the eight-ball with their new OS, and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't take a page from Bill Gates playbook and license Leopard. Then you would see OS X on DElls, HP's , etc. and it would be a whole new ballgame.

Worried? This is the smartest thing Apple could have done. Just seeing Apple and Intel on the same stage to gether has got me dreaming about a dual quad-core 4ghtz laptop.

Yeup, lots of possibilities!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0