• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ande

Best WWIIOL Comp Hardware to get?

39 posts in this topic

So I'm about to start building a new machine with high on the priority list being an outstanding WWIIOL machine.

Asus has the "Extreme Striker" mobo out which is supposedly "The Best Gaming Motherboard" out there. The nVidea SLI chipset claims to be all the shiznit for gamers. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I don't have my heart set on these devices though. I'll happily listen, though perhaps not act on, any suggestions!

Thanks,

Ande

As i understand, soon we see in game Unity II engine (?).What requirements of PC need game then, someone know?

Pretty much the fastest core2duo you can run, 2 gigs of ddr800 or higher, and a top of the line video card is what you want for ww2 right now.

Quad core's and more than 2 gigs of ram is money better spent on a faster video card right now as either yield no noticable fps improvement for a whole bunch of extra cash.

cod1.png

fear1.png

The QX is the top $1000 quad core the other is the $200 core2duo I link further down the page.

It's been reported that dual video cards yield absolutely no benefit in ww2. 1 is just as fast. That being the case I can't recommend SLI. The Striker extreme MB is almost a 1year old design. Yeah it's an alright board but it was buggy, it's a relatively old design now, and it's way overpriced at near $300 last time I checked.

I like the intel chipsets over the nvidia ones for core2duo's for sure. They're consistently better overclocking. To me that's the most important thing in a MB. How high is it going to overclock and will it be stable. If that's what you're looking for you need an intel p35 chipset. It's the best overclocking MB right now. I've seen people hit 520 fsb (2080mhz quad pumped fsb) with them. They're much cheaper than the almost outdated nvidia i680's as well.

Intel will be coming out with 45nm cpu's soon. Reportedly this winter. The intel p35 chipsets are already compatable. The nvidia i680 might be if they can swing it with a bios update. Here's a nice top of the line Abit version of the intel p35. The single video card slot version is about $40 cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030

Remember intel chipsets are crossfire compatable for now. Only nvidia's support sli. Funny with AMD owning ATI and all... =) Running a single card of either brand is no problem in the competitions MB's. Just not 2.

Since new drivers have come out ATI has gained a little ground with it's new video card the 2900xt. It's about $380 and runs with the 8800gtx in some benches now. That's my personal video card pick. If that sounds too expensive than it's the 320meg version of the 8800 for sure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102095

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

The e6750 seems to be the sweet spot right now price/performance wise for intel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

Here's a steal of a deal on the tightest timed ddr800 I've seen. Wow 4,4,3,5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114

Get an aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock at all. These have dropped in price and are a real steal for $20 much better than stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Don't forget a nice PSU to run all that nice new hardware. Newer MB's have an 8 pin eps12v aux power plug that your old PSU will probably lack.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

$139 after mail in rebate.. wow the deals just keep on coming.

Layzboy to the rescue again.

As he said:

P35 motherboard preferably the Abit IP-35 he posted.

Another vote for the 2900XT here.

If you want to overclock you could go with a E6420 and bring it up to around 3.2Ghz easily with that RAM running 1:1 ratio at stock speeds.

Remember that a good case is also a very important part of any new build. Lian Li cases are all fantastic, I'd go with a PC7 II+ as it's quite cheap and an excellent build. Through in some Yate Loon fans and you'll barely hear it.

From my experience this game is very heavy on the CPU(changing resolutions on my system doesn't affect the framerate) so concentrating on getting a fast Core2Duo should be top priority.

I don't think there's a need to get the fastest avaliable CPU right now. I use an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ and it rarely uses more than 50%.

Considering that the ATI HD-series are improving their performance for each set of drivers that are released and the number of reports about problems with the new line of nvidia cards I don't think it's a bad buy at all. I'll get lynched by the nvidia fans by saying this but it's still the reality.

The most important thing is to get hardware that works well together. There are differences. One gfx card can run well with a certain motherboard while another one works badly. I experienced this myself when I upgraded my motherboard, it just didn't like my X850 at all so I had to change mobo.

Same thing goes for memory.

I don't think there's a need to get the fastest avaliable CPU right now. I use an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ and it rarely uses more than 50%.

That's because it's only using one core, so 50%... Doesn't mean it won't go faster on a faster CPU.

From my experience this game is very heavy on the CPU(changing resolutions on my system doesn't affect the framerate) so concentrating on getting a fast Core2Duo should be top priority.

I think that depends. Average framerate isn't much affected by resolution for me either, but minimum framerate is. In some situations, notably looking through high-mag binos at certain spots, it is video card limited. And there's a much better payback on improving worst-case fps than average fps, so it's worth investigating, imho.

See my post http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showpost.php?p=2864202&postcount=9 for a good test of worst-case offline fps.

Ande,

Three months ago I put together (with help) a machine with the same priority as you are facing. I spent under $1,000 and bought most of the components from ZipZoomFly. I now fly around 160-230 fps and ground fight at 70-115. I wish I could tell you the technical junk why this rig is good, but I don't know myself. A friend told me to buy this junk, so I did.

Western Digital WD Caviar RE2 WD4000YR 400GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer

EVGA nForce 680i SLI Socket 775 1333MHz DDR2-800 Extreme Overclocking ATX Motherboard

COOLER MASTER RP-600-PCAR eXtreme Power 600W Power Supply

Intel® Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe Processor 2.4GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 4MB Cache

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance

EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP

Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

P.S. I should note that I also die alot at 230 fps. New rig ≠ good gamer

If you want to overclock you could go with a E6420 and bring it up to around 3.2Ghz easily with that RAM running 1:1 ratio at stock speeds.

I was recommending the e6420 but I looked about a week ago and the e6750 was actually cheaper. Both use an 8x multiplier too. $199 for the e6750 over $210 for the e6420. Don't ask me why. The e6750 is a newer stepping chip and has been tearing up the overclocking sites. Some hitting over 4ghz when teamed up with good ram and a intel p35 MB.

I just can't see recommending an AMD right now. I have squaddies with similar machines to mine but they went AMD (x2 5200). They're having bad fps issues since the patch with very comparable video cards to mine. I think it's because my cpu has just enough power to make the low fps spots still playable while AMD x2's struggle to maintain.

I also run a 19" monitor with only a 1280x1024 native resolution so that's not too hard for my video card to run. I can't go higher unless I buy a new monitor and this one's actually pretty nice. 1280x1024 is a good performing resolution. It's the old standard, so I don't have the top and bottom of the screen cut off like the new wide screens.

I just can't see recommending an AMD right now. I have squaddies with similar machines to mine but they went AMD (x2 5200). They're having bad fps issues since the patch with very comparable video cards to mine. I think it's because my cpu has just enough power to make the low fps spots still playable while AMD x2's struggle to maintain.

That's really strange because that's exactly what I have, a 64 X2 5200+ and I have no such problems. I don't know why I have such good performance considering that I have a 2 1/2 year old graphics card, X850XT PE. I have even better performance now than with 1.26 except for some lagspikes when divebombing a heavily contested town.

I guess it's just the fact that all my hardware work well together.

In a few days I'll put an X1950 Pro in as well to see what change that will bring.

They run gforce video cards. I think that's the main difference. 7900's. They seem to be having more problems than ATI's lately. I run an x1950pro 512. I've been impressed with it so far. I also had an x800xt AIW. I think I could have stuck with it if it wasn't agp. That was also a nice card. Both have a 256bit memory bus. Twice as high as all the mid range cards out right now.

Dual video card option doesnt give much payback for the investment if the games you play dont utilize it.

WWIIOL doesnt have any SLI optimizations to it.

But to be honest, on the games that are out and make use of it, the performance increase isnt enough to make me go out and buy a 2nd expensive video card.

To go from lets say, a 300 dollar video solution to a 600 dollar one, id expect more.

A few downsides also to dual video cards is, you are stuck with the playform you chose.

SLI is nvidia's technology, and you have to get an SLI motherboard.

If you wanted to switch to ATI, you need a different motherboard as ATI uses a different dual video card setup.

One that is crossfire capable.

They are not interchangeable, so think hard before commiting to the dual video card option.

Of course if you plan on only a single video card, then the motherboard you chose doesnt matter if its SLI or Crossfire enabled.

Quad core is something id buy only if i wanted to make a swanky server box.

Or maybe a high end AV editing station etc.

Most of your games arent going to gain any advantage from your purchase.

Unless it became a real base pc standard, you wont see to many game dev companies code specificaly to take advantage of it.

There are a few games but intel has kind of given them a bit of incentive to do so, same as they did a few games when the single core hyperthreading first came out.

Dual core, be it an AMD or an Intel, will be of some advantage even if the game isnt coded to be truely multithreaded across 2 cpu's.

Reason being you can set the game to run on your second CPU, leaving the 1st one to manage most of the OS tasks, and any other apps you want to have running, like teamspeak etc.

So you basicaly get a nearly unused cpu to designate to all the games tasks.

Not a bad option.

And price wise, now days it makes no sense at all to try to find a single core CPU solution.

You wont save anything and you will stick yourself with being immediately outdated.

Myself, i had a project in mind im still tossing around.

I was going to base the system off of these parts.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz

ABIT Fatal1ty AN9

Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

Thermaltake CL-P0401 110mm Full-Range Fan CPU Cooler

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

price, about 700 dollars

if youre going to skimp, skimp on the video card. a 8600gt w/ a 3ghz core2duo is going to perform better than a 2.4ghz core2duo and an 8800gts under all but one condition.

if you're running at 1920x1200 and wish to run high levels of AA/AF then you want the more powerful video card.

if youre going to skimp, skimp on the video card. a 8600gt w/ a 3ghz core2duo is going to perform better than a 2.4ghz core2duo and an 8800gts under all but one condition.

if you're running at 1920x1200 and wish to run high levels of AA/AF then you want the more powerful video card.

I can't really see that being true. The 8600GT is a pretty dire card. In a lot of cases the 7600GT beats it. Personally I'd go with the 8800GTS/2900XT and a 2.4Ghz C2D and overclock the CPU to 3Ghz =)

I can't really see that being true. The 8600GT is a pretty dire card. In a lot of cases the 7600GT beats it. Personally I'd go with the 8800GTS/2900XT and a 2.4Ghz C2D and overclock the CPU to 3Ghz =)

this game barely uses the GPU man. i went from a 2.4ghz athlon and a 6800gt to a 2.8ghz athlon and a 8800gts ... i got 10 more frames on average in worst case scenarios IE looking at/into towns during busy attacks.

high end, flying with nothing around, sure i got a few more frames than the 6800 like 150 vs 110.

big whoop. unity2 should change this but until then, CPU is king in ww2ol.

A 2.4Ghz C2D would be GPU limited by a 8600GTS even in this game. And nevermind the fact that we must assume Ande would like something for playing other games too.

A 2.4Ghz C2D would be GPU limited by a 8600GTS even in this game. And nevermind the fact that we must assume Ande would like something for playing other games too.

it really wouldnt be, not in this game anyway.

IMHO the 8600gt is only acceptable if you can't afford spending over $100 on your video card. Then it's a decent choice, yes.

I don't really think anyone goes to build a custom machine and thinks they're going to spend only $100 on the video card. I know some do but most gamers are more serious about their hardware than that.

The thread is called "the best hardware to get."

If you can squeeze $39 more out of your budget for the video card you can get an ATI x1950pro with 512megs of vram for $139 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161061

It will seriously outperform the 8600gt in any game. Check out the sep07 video card buyers guide at tomshardware.com.

With no high-performance DirectX 10 cards under $200 to compete against it, the relatively powerful X1950 PRO is having a heyday. Yes, the 8600 GTS is a DirectX 10 card, but it's more expensive than the X1950 PRO and isn't in the same performance league when higher resolutions are used.

The card's other competition is the 7900 GS, which the X1950 PRO will beat in most benchmarks at stock speeds.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/05/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money/

The article is great. If you can spend a little more like about $269 after rebate you can get a gforce 8800gts 320meg. That's probably dollar for fps the best card to get right now. If that's in your budget.

OMG the X1950 is $139 now?? Oh wait, X1950Pro, not X1950XT... I was about to swear about my video card dropping in price by 50% in a year. ;)

And you'd cut down that price a little bit more if you go for the XtremeMusic version of X-Fi which is just as good for the majority of games. 128 hardware sounds with EAX. Should be a bit cheaper than XtremeGamer.

actualy that card was cheap

and i dont think, but not sure, that the xtreme music version is 100% hardware.

Trying to avoid a software driven sound solution, otherwise the mobo has a good onboard sound solution already.

actualy that card was cheap

and i dont think, but not sure, that the xtreme music version is 100% hardware.

Trying to avoid a software driven sound solution, otherwise the mobo has a good onboard sound solution already.

Only the cheapest XFi (XtremeAudio?) is 64 sounds/not-hardware. All the others are basically identical, apart from fancy stuff like xram which isn't used anyway.

Only the cheapest XFi (XtremeAudio?) is 64 sounds/not-hardware. All the others are basically identical' date=' apart from fancy stuff like xram which isn't used anyway.[/quote']

The whole X-Ram thing is really sad.

I've had my X-Fi Fatal1ty for half a year now and Battlefield 2 is still the only game I know of that takes advantage of it. :(

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0