Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ande

Best WWIIOL Comp Hardware to get?

39 posts in this topic

and i dont think, but not sure, that the xtreme music version is 100% hardware.

Trying to avoid a software driven sound solution, otherwise the mobo has a good onboard sound solution already.

I know it is for sure, I have one myself.

IMHO the 8600gt is only acceptable if you can't afford spending over $100 on your video card. Then it's a decent choice, yes.

for the record, the 8600gt was an example. as in, if you havce to save some money and you're building this computer FOR ww2ol, then skimp on the GPU.

The unbelievable overclockability of the core2duo cpu makes skimping on the cpu much more attractive than skimping on the video card IMO. If you can get a decent overclock on the cpu you don't miss out on any performance.

Mid range video cards are incapable of running with the big dogs because of the nerfed memory bus, overclocked or not. With cpu's on the other hand a large overclock make their performance indistinguishable from their much more expensive cousins.

Check this out.

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-e2160_14.html

This cpu in the review sells for $85.

you assume people are comfortable voerclocking.

i know its easy to do, you know its easy to do, but some people think programs have been uninstalled when the desktop icon gets deleted.

that and not evreyone wants to spend 50-70 dollars ontop of the cost of the cpu for a good heatsink.

me, i have the thermalright 120 ultra ... love it :D.

That's why it's way cool that there's a decent cooler that just dropped to $20.

The arctic cooling freezer7pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

It's actually totally overclock worthy.

Cheap overclocking is possible with ddr2 memory dividers, good cheap cpu coolers, and those under $100 core2duo's from intel.

I guess maybe I shouldn't tell people the more popular it gets the harder manufacturers will make it.

That's why it's way cool that there's a decent cooler that just dropped to $20.

The arctic cooling freezer7pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

It's actually totally overclock worthy.

Cheap overclocking is possible with ddr2 memory dividers, good cheap cpu coolers, and those under $100 core2duo's from intel.

i skimped on quality once when it came to heatsinks. the one and only CPU i've actually burned up, a p2 333 running on the oh so magical abit BH6. god that was a platform from hell. the cheap fan on the cheap heatsink failed. its also why i never run with the side of my case on anymore :D.

I guess maybe I shouldn't tell people the more popular it gets the harder manufacturers will make it.

you must have recently started over clocking. its so painfully easy these days they even have software tools to do an 'ok' job automagically.

man ... back in my day it was jumpers and dip switches and we were happy to squeeze out a 15% overclock. these days i get pissed if i can't get at least a 75% overlcock.

Nah, old time overclocker. First one was my p3. I pretty sure my P3 was overclocked on an Abit BH6T. I just looked it's a VH6T. Via chipset. the BH6 didn't have pc133 compatablilty.

I also had the infamous Abit nf7-s version2. My wife's machine now.

What I meant by my comment is true. If everyone bought lower end cpu's and overclocked them to high end level the manufactures would limit overclocking because they wouldn't sell any high end cpu's.

Most of those software tools for cpu overclocking don't work right. I never use them. Bios settings only.

That $20 heatsink is actually good quality. It's a heatpipe cooler with a 92mm fan. The worst part about it is the mounting. The stock intel mounting system is crap. The high dollar heat sinks have MB backplate supports and screw or through bolt on. I've seen several reviews that featured the arctic cooling freezer7 pro in a shootout with thermalright and other top dogs. It wasn't behind them by all that much. It's a steal for $20. There's never been that good of a cooler that cheap that I know of.

You actually don't need a huge aftermarket cooler to overclock fairly good on a core2duo. Many review sites have tried and they don't get much higher overclocks with aftermarket coolers excluding water setups. The stock one works decent it just runs kinda hot at max overclock. Intels are rated to run up to 70celcius load temps. No reason to use stock with that $20 one around that's so much better.

I've built a few e6300 machines that I know could have went higher but they started getting hot so I backed off about 350 mainclock.

I was a huge thermalright fan but they were all out when I went to build my last machine. I used a Thermalright slk800 on my barton core AMD. I use a Zalman9500 with arctic silver ceramique now. Kinda loud but cools great. My core2duo idles at 29 and loads at 45 at 410fsb (1640mhz intel speak)@ 2.87ghz. I know others have hit way higher but mine is one of the first e6300's and I considered 1ghz over stock speed acceptable.

I actually haven't tried a lot of voltage tweaks or ram timing stuff to get it a little higher. I may be able to tweak it faster later, but I like how it runs right now. With that low of idle and load temps. I should be able to raise the voltage to 1.5 or so until it starts to load up to at least 52 or so and then raise the core speed some more.

Overclocking still isn't that good on AMD's. It just so happens that the core2duo is the best thing to ever happen to overclocking cpu wise. That's the main difference with overclocking today. Some are doubling stock speed. Nothing else ever did that.

Bah n00blets, back in the day i was overclocking an 80286 from 8Mhz to 12Mhz.

And it didnt even have cooling.

Wasnt any jumpers either, you had to change the oscillator crystal.

soldering fun.

Funniest was the amd athlon thunderbirds.

You overclocked them with a pencil, literaly.

the jumpers were printed on the CPU then laser cut to the right setting.

You had to draw in the jumpers you needed.

Just draw your speed B)

What I meant by my comment is true. If everyone bought lower end cpu's and overclocked them to high end level the manufactures would limit overclocking because they wouldn't sell any high end cpu's.

common misconception. it won't ever affect their bottom line. intel sells low end CPUs by the truck load. 90% of these end up in OEM business desktops paired with motherboards that have zero overclocking features.

high end chips, they sell by the truck load in the form of OEM servers and workstations again, with zero overclocking ability.

AMD and Intel both know the power of word of mouth though. They know guys like us will always look for the celeron 300As. They also know that we recommend whoever is the best value to our friends and families.

In the past I have had lengthy conversations with AMD and Intel engineers. You think we overclock? HAH ... those guys do some funky things to CPUs.

Honestly, the overclocking market is a drop in the bucket. They get more sales from positive word of mouth from us than they would ever lose by DIYers buying low end and OCn.

Bah n00blets, back in the day i was overclocking an 80286 from 8Mhz to 12Mhz.

And it didnt even have cooling.

Wasnt any jumpers either, you had to change the oscillator crystal.

soldering fun.

Funniest was the amd athlon thunderbirds.

You overclocked them with a pencil, literaly.

the jumpers were printed on the CPU then laser cut to the right setting.

You had to draw in the jumpers you needed.

Just draw your speed B)

bah, pencil was unreliable. real men used metal paint pens ;).

So far ande hasn't said what his budget is or anything. We all have our own ideas and standard of living.

I went to sharkyextreme and they have 3 different computer models to fit 3 budget levels, that they design through the year. This is a good starting point.

Then you need to read about the p35 and new intel chipsets and 1300mbyte FSB processor C2Ds on toms hardware and anandtech. Nvdia FTW of course but sharky discusses the other company as well. No need to mention AMD at this stage as they have been trounced thoroughly for the moment. You can buy Intel with confidence.

Now go out there and design your machine. And load XP2 trust me on that.

INF>

Is it true? http://www.curse.fr/wwii-online/

especially that? -

Future Requirements

PC Category.....Minimum.......................................Recommended

CPU..................2GHz.........................................2GHz Dual Core or better

RAM..................1GB............................................2GB

Graphics..GeForce FX 5000 series or Radeon 9800 GeForce 7000 series or Radeon X1600

Disk Space...........1GB...........................................1GB

OS.......Windows XP with DirectX 9.0 or higher..Windows XP with DirectX 9.0 or higher

Internet.............56k Dial-up............................. DSL or Cable Broadband

and what mean Future?Unity 2?

Is it true? http://www.curse.fr/wwii-online/

especially that? -

Future Requirements

[snip]

and what mean Future?Unity 2?

I've never seen those system requirements posted before. Unless you see that information on a WWIIOL:BE website or posted in these forums by one of the Rats, I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

bah' date=' pencil was unreliable. real men used metal paint pens ;).[/quote']

Not if your man enough to have the correct type of pencils.

Need real pure graphite ones like youd get at a drafting supply store.

Not sure whats in a walmart pencil? but it sure isnt the greatest of conductors.

Probably some recycled junk.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0