Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
conquest

Is this a good way to spend $4500?

32 posts in this topic

I am thinking about buying this system form alienware. Is this too much to pay for a "very good" gaming system? Is there anything I should change to save money? Any ideas would be help full.

1] Aurora™ 7500

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-57 with HyperTransport Technology

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2

Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service

Power Supply: Alienware® Approved 650 Watt ATX 2.0 Power Supply with Active PFC

Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case - Space Black

Chassis Upgrades: AlienIce™ 2.0 Video Cooling

Motherboard: Alienware® nForce™4 SLI™ Chipset Motherboard PCI Express

Graphics Processor: 256MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7800 GTX KO

Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline: Video Performance Optimizer

Memory: 2GB Low-Latency Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 at 333MHz - 4 x 512MB

System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 320GB (160GB x 2) Serial ATA 7,200 RPM w/16MB Cache

Storage Drive: Additional Storage Drive - 160GB Serial ATA 7200 RPM w/8MB Cache

Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive w/LightScribe Technology

Secondary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS High Definition 7.1 Surround Firewire (IEEE® 1394)

Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black

Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet

Portable Storage : Alienware® 10-in-1 Digital Media Reader / Writer

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 930BF 19" Ultra Fast 4ms LCD Display - Black

Keyboard: Microsoft® Basic Keyboard Black

Mouse: Microsoft® IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 - USB - Saucer Silver

Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia™ 2.1 200-Watt THX® Speakers

Networking : Linksys® WRT54GS 802.11g Router

Game Controllers: Logitech® Freedom 2.4GHz Cordless Joystick

Game Controllers: Belkin® Nostromo™ SpeedPad n52 USB

Alienware Exclusive Offers: Gamespot Complete - Free 90-day Trial (a $20.85 value)

Alienware Exclusive Offers: 10% off your next EB Games online purchase

Alienware Gear: Alienware® Ceramic Mug - Black

Free Alienware Mousepad: Free Alienware® Mousepad

Desktop Enhancements: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager

AlienInspection: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - $99.99 Value - FREE!

AlienWiring: AlienWiring - Exclusive Internal Wire Management - $99.99 Value - FREE!

If you built it yourself, it would probably be in the $3500 range....

Is it coming with 2 7800s? It's SLI, but it doesn't say if it comes with 1 or two cards.

But yeah, that's about the best you can do in todays market for gaming. I wish I had that kind of money to spend lol.

F-that dude, dont blow your money on alienwares.. if you shop around, i almost promise you that you could build it yourself for around 2500-3000. Hell, wait a few months and maybe even less.

F-that dude' date=' dont blow your money on alienwares.. if you shop around, i almost promise you that you could build it yourself for around 2500-3000. Hell, wait a few months and maybe even less.[/quote']

Wait till the crossfire x1800xt's come out aswell :)

thats a very good setup

theres always a underlying problem with building them your self

sometimes theres problems..

big problems that you can't fix.

it just happens sometimes..

and you dont have someone that will come out and fix it for you.

thats about the specs of my computer

but i have a athlon 64 3200+ Oc'd to 2.901Ghz

and twin BFG 6800 ultra 512MB in Sli for video

the 7800Gtx is a steller performer.

though i think my 6800Ultra may still smoke its arse.

Here’s the deal,

I have the money to spend on a really good gaming system but I don’t want to waist my money. If I really don’t need an AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-57 say it’s not worth the cost then I would consider going with something else. I am looking for power not overkill.

A few conditions,

I want a system that rocks and will keep on rocking for the next few years. I know I could build one myself for less but I don’t know if I am proficient enough to do so.

I want it ready to go before 1 Jan 2006. I will be returning from Iraq about that time.

If you built it yourself, it would probably be in the $3500 range....

Is it coming with 2 7800s? It's SLI, but it doesn't say if it comes with 1 or two cards.

But yeah, that's about the best you can do in todays market for gaming. I wish I had that kind of money to spend lol.

I am thinking about just getting 1 7800 for now. That should be more that adequate for some time, right?

Then later I will upgrade to 2 7800’s

It's up to you, personally I would vehemently state it is way too much for a gaming computer.

Even with all that hardware in it you won't be able to guarantee that it will work better or as planned, and most computers aren't warrantied long enough to make up for that one lemon assembly in well ... 20.

If you DSL or Cable or dial up connection from your provider gets really screwy, all that hardware won't help you much in the interim. If your keyboard has intermittent contact errors or your baby sister spills her May-Po secretly into it, all that hardware won't mean a hill of beans until you find out.

If you love computer games, have the money to burn, and really think that 10 percent better experience in those games that need it matter and you love to play games with all the graphic features on that otherwise would bring mid range gaming set ups to their knees, fine and dandy, but otherwise you're just sending more heat into the atmosphere. Hmm, come to think of it if you need more heat in your room during a cold winter, go for it with those video cards it ought to be 4-6 degrees warmer right there during game play.

This game really isn't supposed to be (note SUPPOSED TO BE) gaming intensive. Have enough RAM ( say 1 Gig or 1.5 ), a decent motherboard and any hard drive made in the last 2 years, and say an Nvidia 6600 GT or better and the rest is just gravy.

Unfortunately, it's the other things that will do you in, if you read the problems some report (and often fix later) with their otherwise powerful systems. The driver not working on your system, Windows XP somehow stubbornly not set up to listen right, turning off the useless services of XP, using NT compatibility mode, or some other video driver setting nonsense. Each release of a new version of the game, and bammo it can be some new problem. PC assemblies tend to be unique and you can't win every time for every game you want to play. There are some otherwise non-power hungry games that won't play on the default set-ups of 7800's especially in SLI mode, so keep that in mind.

"Better hardware" does not equate to a better gaming experience. There are quite a few games that don't even run under XP or if they do , they don't run with the official patches, or they don't allow looting of bodies, or saving of games, or some other nonsense . You can read about one such history by heading over to read the forums on Temple of Elemental Evil if you like LOL, not that you really should waste your time doing so.

So from my point of view I'd not go SLI and I'd go for a set up with at max a 6800 GT from Nvidia installed. I'd also learn all I can about registry settings and shutting down the XP services, even consider a dual boot set-up with Windows 98 SE fully patched running on another partition just to be able to play all the games that don't run under XP or run with less memory and better performance. But you know what, who needs all that hassle anyway.

For what it is worth, if BE ran on XBox 360 and XBox could run with mouse and keyboard ... I think I'd make the switch. After 35 plus years of PC gaming , I've sort of had it with computer gaming stupidity in general.

My two cents.

Let me put it this way:

For about 500-600 bucks you can get a 4 Dimm slot or better HP or Compaq, for another 100 bucks add another 1 Gig of Ram, and for about 250 bucks slap in a 6800 GT GForce.

That's all you should ever need for the next 2 years gaming, especially for this game.

With the money saved you could take a vacation for a week in Las Vegas driving your newly supercharged Ford Mustang in hot red picking up the hapless babes that dig guys who play WW2OL and live a week in Las Vegas talking about it without guest hosting as a corpse on CSI.

To me, that seems well worth the exchange, just something to think about.

Personally I'd rather learn ball room dancing and use my newly rehabilitated legs for something with a little more longevity than a 4500 dollar computer.

Here’s the deal,

I have the money to spend on a really good gaming system but I don’t want to waist my money. If I really don’t need an AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-57 say it’s not worth the cost then I would consider going with something else. I am looking for power not overkill.

A few conditions,

I want a system that rocks and will keep on rocking for the next few years. I know I could build one myself for less but I don’t know if I am proficient enough to do so.

I want it ready to go before 1 Jan 2006. I will be returning from Iraq about that time.

I am thinking about just getting 1 7800 for now. That should be more that adequate for some time, right?

Then later I will upgrade to 2 7800’s

Since you're coming home from overseas, go for it.

It is the candy apple red corvette of PCs.

One thing i'd look at...,

Offhand, i'd go for 2x1gb sticks to free-up slots.

Then there's DDR2 --can you get a mobo with ddr2 for the fx-57?

The faster ram is ahead of the curve.

God's speed,

Ratszo

Let me put it this way:

With the money saved you could take a vacation for a week in Las Vegas driving your newly supercharged Ford Mustang in hot red picking up the hapless babes that dig guys who play WW2OL and live a week in Las Vegas talking about it without guest hosting as a corpse on CSI.

I think I would move to Hollywood, becomes friends with Tom Hanks and find out what the h*ll he was thinking when he decided to do "Bosom Buddies". Of course the babes in Hollywood might be a step down from those in Vegas. Used to work there.

Let me put it this way:

For about 500-600 bucks you can get a 4 Dimm slot or better HP or Compaq, for another 100 bucks add another 1 Gig of Ram, and for about 250 bucks slap in a 6800 GT GForce.

That's all you should ever need for the next 2 years gaming, especially for this game.

To me, that seems well worth the exchange, just something to think about.

Personally I'd rather learn ball room dancing and use my newly rehabilitated legs for something with a little more longevity than a 4500 dollar computer.

get out of here you man with out a account.

Do NOT buy it, just build it yourself, its quite easy and if its anything like the systems i build and you get a good hardware website (lots in US) then you could save 10 - 30% of cost on high end systems. Im guessing but $4500 seems very steep for that sys. All that "exclusive" and "free" **** is bull**** btw. Break it down to the essentials and price the parts and its a hell of a lot cheaper.

If I dont badly remember there is a member and player in this community that builds custom systems I am prety sure he would build one for a lot less and just as fast

I just need to find his sticky around here

and remember this guy is permited by the rats to advertise here

ill look for his sticky and will edit here to reflect the link :)

Pricewatch.com and I also 2nd that for Newegg. If you hav a Frys near you, go check them out, they also have excellent prices and you dont have to wait for shipping.

Frys is like Heaven to us PC freaks. There is sooooo much stuff in there, it'll make your head spin.

Word to the wise, when looking at graphics cards pay careful attention to memory bandwith and the MHz the core processor is on the graphics cards.

i just built my first comp for this game, its socket a but still fine for now, amd mobile 2600+ , oc to 2.54 gig, 1 gig of ocz ram oc to 212mhz at 2.8v.........everything less monitor cost me $1000..................lcd monitor for xmas =)..........................25-30 heavy fighting average 60-70 everywhere else with 100 spikes now and then, settings maxed................

dont buy, build read and research parts here

http://www.ocforums.com/

http://forum.pcmech.com/

build it for dummies like me.............................http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm

i also might add, you can get a better monitor http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/index.html

and im not sure what ice video cooling is or video optimizer, seems like hype, keep your case cool and your card will stay cool, fans are what $7 bucks? 650 watts? for what? a higher electric bill? i have 485w, works fine

something i do when considering a new system:

u want the best and the greatest right? so the system will still be kicking in 5 years no?

ask urself this: is the "extra" performance boost of that latest graphics card compared to little brother that came out a few months ago worth the extra say (just as an example) 200-400 $ ur paying for that "latest" graphics card? are u really getting a $200 performance boost?

same goes for processors and the like. are u willing to pay an incredible amount of money so that 5 years from now u'll be running .1 Ghz faster than u would if u broke for the slightly cheaper cpu?

i suppose it all depends on ur point-of-view on things, but that above ^ is something to consider if u want to be sure u get the most bang for the buck.

and if u decide not to go alienware, newegg.com is the place to be. everything and insane cheap prices. but with a system like that, u gotta be careful and make sure than the individual parts u buy are compatible with everything else.

There has got to be a good local shop in your town that should be able to put a good gaming system together for you. And if you got any problems you just take it back to your local shop;

the shop i use will put it together for me 15% above cost of price watch prices.

Than they will burn it in for me with there benchmark and stress programs they have to make sure the parts are not weak. Guarantee it and if i got any question about the machine i don;t have to wait on some 800 number to some guy in a jungle somewhere.

drill

Unless you play other games that support SLI (WWIIOL doesn't), don't waste your money on SLI (i.e. 2 7800s)

Hollywood, hmm you may have a point.

Look on the SLI, consider that two separate components ups the chance for problems (usually by the square so by 4 times). It also means you need an SLI ready motherboard and need a power supply and board to handle all that current.

Like someone highlighted and I tried to hint at, you get that good a machine and you want it to last (else why so good) then you need to up the warranty or be up there in the world of geekdom.

The game seriously is not going to benefit in my view from SLI or even a 7800, thus my suggestion to just by an off rack HP or Compaq and up the video card, the RAM, and make sure the power supply can handle the power drain or is replaceable with standard power supplies.

I used to build all my computers, by now I realize that most of the time I can't build one nearly as cheap and it isn't worth the aggravation. But IF you also play very graphic intensive bleeding edge games and it's your love and you have the money to burn, go for it.

I was also suggesting that you remember that that money can be used on something else. You may have the money to burn, but make sure you burn it on the things you really want, or share it accordingly. Computers are very fickle and incompatibilities are even more so. You can have the best and find out it didn't mean a thing. You may also need time to solve any of those problems.

I got tired of all that nonsense. The graphic needs of this game aren't really that impressive, and they are supposedly largely CPU intensive and not video intensive. So that is why I suggested a sort of mix of bang for the buck video card with some head room for current games.

I wish you the best and leave this issue to better respondents than myself.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I didn’t want to try to build a system that’s this expensive so below is what I decided on. It’s just over 4 grand with shipping.

[1] Aurora™ 7500

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 3800+ with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2

Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service

Power Supply: Alienware® Approved 650 Watt ATX 2.0 Power Supply with Active PFC

Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case - Space Black

Chassis Upgrades: AlienIce™ 2.0 Video Cooling

Motherboard: Alienware® nForce™4 SLI™ Chipset Motherboard PCI Express

Graphics Processor: 256MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7800 GTX KO

Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline: Video Performance Optimizer

System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 320GB (160GB x 2) Serial ATA 7,200 RPM w/16MB Cache

Storage Drive: Additional Storage Drive - 250GB Serial ATA 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache

Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive w/LightScribe Technology

Secondary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive

Blank Media: Verbatim Lightscribe DVD+R 4.7GB 10-Pack in Spindle

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi® XtremeMusic High Definition 7.1 Surround Sound

Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black

Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet

AlienRespawn: Alienware® Respawn Recovery Kit

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 930BF 19" Ultra Fast 4ms LCD Display - Black

Keyboard: Microsoft® Basic Keyboard Black

Mouse: Microsoft® IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 - USB - Conspiracy Blue

Speakers: Logitech® Z-5300e 5.1 280-Watt Speakers

Power Protection: OPTI-UPS SS1200 Automatic Voltage Regulator 6 outlets Surge Protector

Networking : Linksys® WRT54GS 802.11g Router

Game Controllers: Logitech® Freedom 2.4GHz Cordless Joystick

Game Controllers: Belkin® Nostromo™ SpeedPad n52 USB

Alienware Gear: Alienware® Clear Acrylic and Stainless Steel Tumbler

Alienware T-Shirt: Alienware® T-Shirt - White - Price Includes $5 Instant Rebate

Free Alienware Mousepad: Free Alienware® Mousepad

Desktop Enhancements: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager

AlienInspection: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - $99.99 Value - FREE!

Did he already order this?

Dual core is cool if you want to multitask some heavy apps.

If you mainly single task game etc, the dual core is kind of a waste.

Now of course if you want to edit video while playing games, dual core

would be the ticket.

Games cant use dual core or dual processors, and probably wont until

the multiCPU PC is sitting in 70% of the computer equipped homes.

Currently i count 3 games that can use multithreading, but they were done

specificly to show off the intel hyperthreading, and i dont think they can

make use of other multiCPU technology.

If you wanted a rippin fast gaming rig, just grab an AMD64 4500+

2 gigs of matched 2-2-2-5-2t ram

An SLI capable video card if you really want one(not getting into an ATI vs nVidia war here)

On hard drive go for capacity per $ more than RPM's, none of us are file serving etc, so most times the faster 2 second Xfer rate on a 1gb file goes

unnoticed. They have thier good points but normal gaming doesnt do much to show them off, loading time difference in games winds up being minimal, unless comparing to an old ATA33 drive or something.

CD and DVD drives, pick out what you will use, in a decent brand

If you never plan to make DVD's then maybe you dont really need a DVD burner (though i dont think you save much there)

Monitors, personaly i suggest CRT over LCD, LCD just can not compete with color resolution and clarity on a decent tube monitor. And a CRT monitor generaly costs much less.(they do use more electricity though)

keyboard mouse and game controllers, i would pick all out by hand.

which ever has the functions you like and feels comfortable etc.

that audio they have is nice, the full kit is around 300 bucks from creative

but your Nforce4 motherboard does have a real nice onboard audio

very nice actualy. Its drawback is it does use your CPU to process, but even

at 128 voices, its load on the CPU is kind of small, and with a 4500+ cpu

it probably wouldnt notice it much.

You could always try it at 0 cost to you, and if your not satisfied, then you can always add in the X-Fi system.

Course if you dont use 6 or 7 channel speakers you wont really enjoy the 300 extra bucks as much.

All in all i would say you could build a PC that would kick as much butt

for under 2 grand possibly.

Depending on what your intentions are for your old PC.

Might reuse case or floppy drive etc.

Floppy drives i dont think too many people use anymore, could save 16 bucks

if you never use them. thats your call though, they are handy sometimes

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0