Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Leopard 10.5 and/or 1.28 Notes <-- read if installing 10.5

43 posts in this topic

Hi

Ok, it seems I have to start the game using the same user account (Admin) as I used to install it. It must be some user privilage setting or something that stops me from running the game using other accounts. I just cant figure out what it is, any suggestions anybody?

I will create another partition and compare the behaviour beween 10.4 and 10.5, I hade short freezes yesterday.

/fablefoo

I've always used a non-admin account and just give root permission to the installer when it asks. I also install the game into my user directory. I haven't had any issues with doing it this way.

Thank you guys for your help. I did just what you said and double checked my system preferences. Had my screen and everything set just fine. I checked the game preferences and realized that I had the color not in the millions.

Works just fine now.

Nope, it's embedded in the the openal code for leopard and other than the current fixes I haven't found any way around it.

I tried to write a new sound driver but had to give up due to crappy documentation and having to work on stuff to try to make a little $ (no job atm).

Nope, it's embedded in the the openal code for leopard and other than the current fixes I haven't found any way around it.

I tried to write a new sound driver but had to give up due to crappy documentation and having to work on stuff to try to make a little $ (no job atm).

Hey Ahwulf.

Believe or not, even after dedicated graphics driver update and 10.5.4, zero hacks (remember the stuff I run on 10.4.x!), the FPS rate of game is exactly half or lower when compared to Tiger on same hardware.

What made me don't believe my eyes is... Recent forum topic I found, about WoW, official forum.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=2649798968&sid=1&pageNo=1

The super star of games, the game which Apple released OS X updates for has same problem on same hardware!

Blizzard officially recommends 10.4.11 even.

If Apple doesn't even care about WoW fps problem, it is a message to us "Go Intel Mac or go away".

I understand the message and start watching Intel/AMD/Windows scene instead. Apple can't drive me by such tricks.

I think of going back to 10.4.11, deal with AVID guys for cross license issues and configure a Windows PC.

Let them be happy with their new iPhone business...

To people having issue with 10.5.x and WW2 online: It is a lot easier and reliable to have a older 10-12 GB partition to run 10.4.11 especially after Disk Utility gained dynamic partition resizing. Windows Vista early adopters lived total nightmare maintaining 2 different OS'es because of how system works. Therotically you can even boot to 10.4.11 and run the 10.5.x installed .app from there. Backup your data, resize and find that dusty 10.4.x DVD. My suggestion...

this may not help but often the sounds seem completely reversed (i.e. if a shot comes from in front of me, sounds like behind, if an opel is driving by to my left, sounds like he's in front of me to my right)

i mean the sounds are really borked right now - the game is unplayable for me

Any updates on the sound bug?

I just (finally) upgraded to Leopard (with drive wipe first) and reinstalled the game. I've never had any sound issues before, but any sound past the first one (first shot, first click on menu button, etc) seems to be like 25% the volume of the first sound at normal volume.

REALLY annoying, and I'd hate to have to install 10.4 on a separate partition just to play. In fact, that might even drive me away from the game altogether as it's just not practical on my dinky MBP with a 100GB drive.

In the next release, one bug that I fixed a long time ago is refixed, apparently it never made it into the code (now I can check the source code repository myself). It fixes about half of the issue. However I haven't been able to figure out how to fix all of the sounds.

In the next release' date=' one bug that I fixed a long time ago is refixed, apparently it never made it into the code (now I can check the source code repository myself). It fixes about half of the issue. However I haven't been able to figure out how to fix all of the sounds.[/quote']

YAY, that's a great start! :)

Thanks, looking forward to getting back in at some point. Looks like I'll be taking another break until then....which may not be a bad thing.

I just installed 10.5 tonight and love the jump in FPS I got. On the other hand, its gonna be an interesting bit of time with that sound bug...

I got used to it, sometimes it actually helps (you can hear a truck engine before the PC folks do). However in my build at home with the bug correctly fixed, it is much better although a few sounds still go pop. It won't be in until 1.30 I imagine.

I got used to it' date=' sometimes it actually helps (you can hear a truck engine before the PC folks do). However in my build at home with the bug correctly fixed, it is much better although a few sounds still go pop. It won't be in until 1.30 I imagine.[/quote']

Why doncha do a couple brothers a favor and send us over that build you're running at home...? ;)

Play with headphones, I usually heard sounds pretty early anyway (as in the instance they get within range to hear them, so long as it's not too noisy around me), but I've heard the sound bug version of the same and, yes, it's a bit of an advantage.

A note on the sound bug, I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but I have found that its only when you're not in "zoom" view mode. If I'm zoomed with my weapon (aka holding 'x') the sounds are normal. If I'm just running around, they're all funked up. I noticed this since I play a lot as a sniper and am looking through the scope most of the time.

I have replicated this many times. Also, it only seems to be the case for enemy units (in my case, axis) not sure if that makes a difference...

The problem is causes by the sounds having the wrong distance applied when they start playing, which is then corrected. If a sound has a bit of delay you don't hear the problem. I did fix one bit of it (coming in 1.30) but the remaining problem still seems to be embedded in openal. Even though I set the correct distance before starting the play, certain sounds still don't get it until a few packets are played, thus creating a pop. 1.30 its half better (had to do with an old bug fix that was lost a few versions ago).

Been Playing for over a year on a PPC Tiger 2.5 switched to a Intel 8 Core 2.8 with Leopard.. Getting more FPS I think, But sound is REALLY jumpy... can't judge enemy direction by sound anymore. Random volumes, distant bullets & riccochets sound next to you, etc ..etc...

Also Mouse Locator (shareware that draws a green Circle around your Mouse pointer , helpful with huge multiple screens, ) worked fine on Tiger on PPC but pops out during play on the Leopard Intel..

I hope someone fixes this , as most mac players out there will eventually migrate to Leopard, and Leopard's been released for some time ..

Cheers & thanks for your efforts.. Tom..

The sound stuff is much better in 1.30, try the beta for sure when it comes out. I've had a fun time trying to fix it.

Been Playing for over a year on a PPC Tiger 2.5 switched to a Intel 8 Core 2.8 with Leopard.. Getting more FPS I think' date=' [/quote']

You went from a G5 model running Tiger to an 8 (dual quad?) Core 2.8 running leopard and you're not sure if your FPS has increased? Good lord it should have tripled at least!

Send the octad to me, I will make careful measurements, though it might take a long long time...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0