Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest hazydaz

hardware suggestions

44 posts in this topic

i really want to come back to this game. its been a long time i've been away due to poor/crappy store bought computers.

was thinking of building one able to handle flying in heavily populated areas. need some suggestions.

so far this is what i've come up with.

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor $315.99

-GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Motherboard $169.99

-EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB $384.99

-CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory $44.00

-Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE Sound Card - Retail $29.99

-Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $129.99

-OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W Power Supply $139.99

i need help, will this be enough too much will these things be compatible with each other or are some things overkill. can i get more bang for buck with other parts? all this for $1,200. i would be willing to spend $500 more but would rather spend a little less since i still have to buy monitor etc..suggestions please? ty in advance

-CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory $44.00

Get 2gb if you can.

1gb works fine but if you are like alot of people, they like to install and run a bunch of apps in the background or ones that install as a TSR so to speak.

-Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE Sound Card - Retail $29.99

JUNK!!

Might as well use a realtek, audigy SE is a crappy software driven sound card.

Need an X-Fi gamer, or one of the full audigy cards atleast.

Merlin I'll do a spec up for you on an English site I know but all the parts are available on newegg. I'll use $1200 as your budget.

EDIT: Decided to do it up on newegg for you :)

E6550 $175

Abit IP35 $130

ATi Radeon 2900Pro 512mb $280

Super Talent 2x1GB PC6400C4 $80

Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer $80

Lian Li PC7+ II $100

Corsair 520W PSU $120

Total: $965

And for a monitor I suggest this:

Samsung 226BW $320

Gross Total: $1285

-$100 main rebate

Net Total: $1185

-OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W Power Supply $139.99

i need help, will this be enough too much will these things be compatible with each other or are some things overkill.

That PSU is excessively large. The one darg recommended is more reasonable, but imho that's still more than needed. I'd go with the Seasonic S12 II -430:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151033

Saves you $35, 34A on 12V rails should be perfectly adequate, and I've personally found the Seasonic PSUs to be very quiet, which I like. (But that depends on whether you will be doing something to keep the rest quiet, too.)

ok new list you guys are lots of help ty.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 Processor $279.99

ABIT IP35 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard $129.99

XFX GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 $299.99

SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $79.99

COOLER MASTER 650W Power - Retail $89.99

LIAN LI PC-7A plus II Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $99.99

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer $80.99

total 1060.93

im still not sure on the processor or video card i am willing to spend more for a better one (total budget $2000) but its too easy to get carried away. i would like to stay with GeForce as that is all ive ever had and am familiar with the drivers.

like before biggest thing to me is flying in REALLY heavy populated areas hopefully with some eye candy turned on maybe even at max. but as ive never seen this game on anything other than lowest resolution everything off thats not too important

Most are saying 640meg video card is needed for the high res (which u should able to maintain with other components your are getting)

Most are saying 640meg video card is needed for the high res (which u should able to maintain with other components your are getting)

I would be surprised if this game needs more than 250 megs on any res.

I would be surprised if this game needs more than 250 megs on any res.

The higher the resolution the more size each frame is gonna be so obviously at some point it's going to exceed 250mb for a playable framerate.

i think i've settled on the q6600 ive been looking at it for a while already. but can someone tell me the difference between it and E6850 both are same price. 6600 has really good reviews.

im still stuck on graphics card though. i have been looking at ati since darg suggested one, but the one time i ever owned an ati i didnt like it compared to the gforce. i just got used to gforce. what one is more compatible/stable or runs with less glitches/artifacts/weird stuff in wwiiol ati or gforce.

the only specific thing i need it for is gaming, mainly wwiiol and few others that will probably change every once in a while for a quick fix

i do like the specs of the CORSAIR compared to my $80 one. i probably will go with the CORSAIR.

im not sure if i will overclock or not i think i maybe in over my head as it is. lets just see if i can get it to turn on first.

The higher the resolution the more size each frame is gonna be so obviously at some point it's going to exceed 250mb for a playable framerate.

In theory. I tried different resolutions with my brother. He used same card, with same settings with 512 megs and my has 256mb - no different frame rates.

What BGE needs is GPU power due to the old engine. Only one handful of games really profits from 512Mb and more.

The Q6600 stands for Quad 6600. It has 4 cores rather then the 2 of the E6850. Basically you'll have 4 cores capable of running 4 seperate programs without interfering with eachother or in multicore games like the upcoming crysis you'll be able to use all 4 cores to have the best of the best physics and everything.

I have one or two bugs in this game with my 2900XT. Textures on the flags can sometimes be a little odd and very rarely I get very bright reflections off my hands. Apart from that it runs great. If you're looking for this game only the nVidia 8800GTS seem to fare a little better due to the OpenGL engine. Keep in mind that each driver release from ATi brings out enormous boosts in one area or another. In 7.8 we saw great boosts for OpenGL. 7.9 brought some boosts in DX9 areas and the latest 7.10 saw up to 90% boosts for DX10 games. Hopefully we'll be seeing some more OpenGL boosts down the road.

I've had both ATi and nVidia cards over the past year or two starting when I moved from my ATi 9800Pro to an nv 7600GT then to an nv 7900GS and now to a 2900XT. I have to say that I prefer ATi with their driver support. You know that every month you will get a driver update that's bound to have some goodies for you to make use of. nVidia were a lot more random with their driver updates and until the 2900XT was released were really diabolically slow getting updates out for the 8800 series. They've improved a fair bit in the last few months though after they saw the great support of ATi.

From my personal experience with both I would go for the 2900Pro simply because it's cheaper and will perform better in most games when flashed to a 2900XT BIOS. In Bioshock DX9 the 2900XT completely whipped the 8800GTS range of cards. It even came close to the 8800GTX. You're getting that performance for cheaper then the 8800GTS 320. Only the diehard nVidia fans would argue with that at the moment. nVidia are coming out with some new mid range cards in November but as with most midrange cards they will probably be limited in some form or another and won't perform close to the high range cards.

As for overclocking it really is quite simple. There's a few people on here that will be more then happy to walk you through the few settings you'd have to change. Once you get your head around the two main multipliers involved it will be simply a matter of working out how fast your CPU can run ;)

The main number involved in any overclock is the system bus. Think of this as the speed of the motherboard itself. This is called the Front Side Bus or FSB for short.

Now with the Q6600 it has a multiplier of 9. This means that the speed of the CPU will be 9 times that of the FSB. So if we have a FSB of 400mhz and a cpu multiplier of 9 then you'd be getting a speed of 3600mhz or 3.6Ghz. If you are lucky your CPU will be able to run at that speed but the Q6600 are notoriously hot unless you get the G0 revision so you'd really need something like the Thermalright Ultra Extreme to keep it cool. What is possible is to lower the multiplier to 8 though so that the CPU is only running at 3.2Ghz which is a much more achievable speed.

The memory seeing as it's DDR will optimally run at twice that of the FSB. Using ratios it's possible to make it run at different speeds then that but memory always performs best when kept at a 1:1 ratio.

How the ratio works is that for example our 1:1 ratio will mean that as the FSB is 400 the memory bus will be 400 too. Seeing as it's DDR we double that and we get 800mhz as the speed for the memory. If the memory is running at a 4:3 multiplier then the FSB of 400 will give us a memory bus of 300. Double that and you'd get a memory speed of 600mhz.

Ideally though we'll be looking to avoid the need for ratios. Keeping it 'in synch' or at a 1:1 ratio is the best for performance.

So, the settings that would need to be changed would firstly be to set the memory to run in synch mode with the FSB at a 1:1 ratio. By default the motherboard FSB will be running at 266 and the CPU multiplier will be at 9 giving you the stock speed of 2.4Ghz of the Q6600. By setting the memory to synch mode we'll effectively be underclocking it to 266x2 or 533mhz. Don't worry about that as we'll soon be overclocking the FSB up to 400mhz hopefully.

Next is to change to CPU multiplier to 8 from its default setting of 9. This will underclock the CPU to 2.15Ghz.

Next step is to start moving the FSB up. We can start out at 350FSB. The CPU should be running at 2.8Ghz and the memory at 700mhz. At this stage we'd use a program called Orthos DC to stress test both the memory and CPU to make sure that they can take these speeds without overheating.

After that we'd move up to 400FSB which would give us our desired speed of 3.2Ghz cpu and 800mhz memory. It should boot up fine into windows at this speed at which stage we'd do another stress test. In the unlikely event that it doesn't boot up okay it's a simple matter of resetting the BIOS to default settings in order to get it to start up okay again.

If it works at those speeds then you can leave it like that or you can try changing the multiplier back to 9 and moving up from 355FSB on up to 400 again or as high as you can get.

If you do decide to overclock it then I'll go into more detail with you on it then. These are just the basics so you can get some understanding of it. It might sound complicated at first but really the most important thing to it is understanding the maths behind it.

not really, the texures loaded into the video memory remain the same.

changin resolution doesnt change the memory usage much.

Changing the anisotropic value on the otherhand does an then some.

The game does not use alot of video memory really.

What it uses most is raw CPU time to calculate eleventybillion points of quantum physics.

What it uses most is raw CPU time to calculate eleventybillion points of quantum physics.

And RAM. Considering that maybe 4GB of RAM would be best for your spec hazy. Either 2 of the sets I specced for you or these. They are only Cas5 but memory timings don't matter too much with Intel chipsets.

And RAM. Considering that maybe 4GB of RAM would be best for your spec hazy. Either 2 of the sets I specced for you or these. They are only Cas5 but memory timings don't matter too much with Intel chipsets.

Game does not use more than 2GB of ram. Virtual mem usage tops out at ~1.6GB for me even after extended play. 4GB would yield nothing unless you like to run a bunch of other stuff at the same time as the game.

Regarding video ram, a frame, even at 1920x1200, uses <10MB of ram. Even with triple buffering, you are not going to use more than 30MB on frame memory. It's texture memory that's the biggie.

The PSU is an area that you should never ever scrimp on. Go with the one I specced. Although it says 520W that is actually the maximum sustainable wattage not the maximum peak wattage like most other companies measure by. Any hardware geek will tell you to go for the Corsair range if he knows anything about them.

I would argue with this statement. Corsair didn't start making power supplies until a few years ago, while Seasonic has been making them for 30+ years. I'm not saying anything bad about the Corsair PSUs, they seem to have been getting good reviews, but there is no long-term experience with their products. Calling a Seasonic "scrimping" is bs.

Regarding sizing of PSUs, there is rampant size inflation going on. I defy you to show me a desktop system which draws more than 400W DC power that does not use some outrageous cooling solution. Getting oversized PSUs only means extra $$$ and in most cases lower efficiency and louder fan noise, while doing nothin for your stability or performance.

ok i think you talked me into giving an ati another go. if i dont like it i can always switch back in the future.

i was able to find a CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W $99.00

looks like same as one you suggest?

so i guess it'll be:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz $279.99

ABIT IP35 LGA 775 Intel P35 $129.99

Radeon HD 2900PRO 512MB 512-bit GDDR3 $279.99

SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $79.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W $99.99

LIAN LI PC-7A $99.99

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer $80.99

uhhh new question though. HDD's any specific ones?

That's the old generation of Corsair PSUs. Personally I'd go with the newer 520W.

As for hdds go for the Western Digital AAKS range. Make sure it says AAKS on it though. That's their new range and generally considered the fastest and best at that speed.

@lutorm: I never said the Seasonic would be scrimping. In fact the Corsair range I've been pointing out are rebranded Seasonic PSUs. Corsair just sells them under their name at a very good price for the product. It's just the best to go for at the moment. Go take a look at the power usage of a system with a quad core and a 2900XT then come back here. It idles anywhere between 370-400W and can rise to 450W under load.

was looking at this one

Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000ABYS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $129.99

or this

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $114.99

That's the old generation of Corsair PSUs. Personally I'd go with the newer 520W.

As for hdds go for the Western Digital AAKS range. Make sure it says AAKS on it though. That's their new range and generally considered the fastest and best at that speed.

@lutorm: I never said the Seasonic would be scrimping. In fact the Corsair range I've been pointing out are rebranded Seasonic PSUs. Corsair just sells them under their name at a very good price for the product. It's just the best to go for at the moment. Go take a look at the power usage of a system with a quad core and a 2900XT then come back here. It idles anywhere between 370-400W and can rise to 450W under load.

That's not the whole story. Actually the 550w corsair is a newer version than the 520. The difference between the hx series 520 and the vx550 is the 12v eps plug.

Some of the newer MB's have a 4 pin aux power connector on the MB and some have an 8pin. The eps 12v plug is an 8 pin. I think that the abit ip35 has an 8pin but some of the other new MB's like the gigabyte version have a 4pin.

You'll have to look at the pic of whichever MB you have and get the correct PSU. You can run a MB with an 8pin plug on a 4pin but they won't guarantee stability.

This is a pic of the abit ip35.

abitip35.jpg

See the black plug in the lower left that says 8-pin. That's what I'm talking about.

This is a pic of the gigabyte version.

gigabytep35.jpg

See the plug in the lower left. It's a 4pin on this board.

That means the gigabyte will run with the corsair vx550 and the abit will need the hx520 or any other PSU with an 8pin eps 12v plug.

Don't you mean that the hx is newer then the vx then if it only supports the old 4-pin motherboard power connector?

I'll have to look into that and that ABYS western digital hazy found tomorrow.

good eye layzboy ty for pointing that out. i almost made a huge mistake looks like i will have to spend a little more and get the 520W Power Supply.

Don't you mean that the hx is newer then the vx then if it only supports the old 4-pin motherboard power connector?

I'll have to look into that and that ABYS western digital hazy found tomorrow.

The vx just came out a few months ago. The hx has been out over a year. I'm not sure why but some new MB's have the 4pin connector and some have the 8pin. I thought that all newer one's were going to be 8pin myself until I started looking around.

I was kinda wondering what was going on when the vx550 came out and it didn't have an 8pin eps plug. It seems there's still MB's out there that take it.

I think that if you bought an 8pin compatable PSU you could probably just plug half of it into a 4pin connector. The plugs might even snap apart into 2 4pins like on 20+4 main power connectors.

The Corsair hx range come with both a 4-pin and an 8-pin. Atleast my 620W does. Have you heard anything on the performance of the vx range? All I've seen of it is a new budget 450W Corsair model being sold by OCUK now. I assume the hx range are still their high end models.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0