Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest hazydaz

hardware suggestions

44 posts in this topic

was looking at this one

Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000ABYS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard

Don't get a RE2 drive, they are meant for RAID operation, not for normal desktop use. (The have less error recovery, trusting that the RAID can deal with media errors, but if you don't have RAID then you'll just see errors on the drive...)

and im guessing for now stay away from vista for games specially wwiiol since no support?

Vista isn't as bad as it once was and I think quite a few people here are getting wwiio working okay with it. I'm more then happy sticking with XP for the time being though and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

Some places are doing deals on the 2900Pros at the moment so I'd have a look around for special prices. AMD-ATi are pulling an interesting move at the moment by taking the 2900 range off the market (after only just releasing the Pro) in readiness for an apparent 3800 card. All information so far show the 3800 as performing slower then the 2900XT (or overclocked Pro) so it's very odd. Maybe they have a trick up their sleaves. Get the pro while it's still cheap, if you get one that can overclock well (getting up to XT speeds is pretty much a given) then it should be a very decent reseller in a year or twos time when you go to upgrade again.

i maybe too late to get 2900pro then. looks like newegg it says Deactivated Item. i will not be able place an order for anything until another week or two. if i miss out on 2900pro what is next best card at that price range?

I'd wait and see how the 8800GT will fare. That will be out in november. If you hunt around there should be some places selling the 2900Pro still.

JUNK!!

Might as well use a realtek, audigy SE is a crappy software driven sound card.

Need an X-Fi gamer, or one of the full audigy cards atleast.

QFT

As for the graphics card I would still go with the 2900Pro as it is cheaper then the one you have specced and can be flashed to an XT bios or just overclocked to XT speeds which will outperform the 8800GTS 640mb.

Up to your old tricks, eh Darg? ;)

8800GTS 640mb outperforms the 2900XT in the vast majority of modern games; this is what every PC enthusiast website reports, every independent source of information confirms this.

We don't have to argue about this; anyone here is free to use google or yahoo and spend two minutes finding out the truth.

The 2900XT *does* outperform the 8800GTS 640mb in some cases, but in the vast majority of the games, the 8800GTS gets superior performance. Those are just the cold, hard facts.

and im guessing for now stay away from vista for games specially wwiiol since no support?

I use Vista Home Premium 64-bit, and the only problem I've had so far is not getting my microphone to work with Teamspeak.

In general, if you already have WinXP, there probably is no point in upgrading to Vista yet. If you are using an older version of Windows and want to upgrade, you might as well upgrade to Vista.

Xanthus I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore. I base most of my thoughts on how cards work in real life situations. Generally I hang around the Overclockers UK forums. If you want to see an argument of epic proportions just start a thread asking which is better over there ;)

From what I've seen though any game that isn't massively leaning towards nVidia support (FEAR, Oblivion etc.) performs better on the 2900XT. If you need any more proof of this then just do a search there for Bioshock XP benchmarks. The results made some of the 8800GTX owners cry. Sure the GTX beat most of the 2900XT results but it was within a few frames and the 8800GTS was down about 20% below them both.

Only time will tell really. Lets wait for Crysis and it's dedicated DX10 benchmarks before we debate this more ;)

I will admit though that from people on here the 8800GTS 640 outperforms then 2900Pro/XT in this game. That's because nVidia have better OpenGL support. You're paying a premium for it though. Last time I checked the 640 was about £50 more then the 2900Pro.

You guys should realize that what's happening is ATI and Nvidia don't release drivers at the same time.

ATI releases a driver and gets ahead of the 8800 and then nvidia releases a driver and closes the gap. That's what's been happening lately. If you read a review right after an ATI release but before the Nvidia answer than the 2900 does well. If you read another review a week later after a new nvidia release the 8800's do much better. There's the other problem with many games being written optimized specifically for nvidia.

They are so close that IMO just go with whatever company you like better. The naked eye probably won't tell the 5-10 fps difference when you're already running 50fps.

I'm disappointed that the 2900pro is so expensive still. I was waiting for them to undercut the 8800 price/performance wise not in shear horsepower. At the price the 2900pro is in the US right now the 8800gts 640 is a slightly better buy. This is coming from a total ATI fanboi. I would still run an ATI card in my personal machines reguardless. They're close enough for me.

**crap** the 2900pro is already gone from newegg?

I will always like nvidia cards vs ATI. Audigy 4 is a good soundcard that is not too expensive. Paying for sounds you will nver use is a waste of money.

Over here the 2900Pro was a good £30 ($60) cheaper then the 8800GTS 320MB so a very good buy considering it would easily outperform it in most cases when overclocked.

It's a pity they got rid of it so soon. It makes me wonder if they're really concentrating their production on their next 3xxx range coming soon. If so then hopefully they know something about the performance level of it that we don't. Right now all the rumours and specs floating around put it performing below that of a 2900XT/OCedPro.

In the US they priced the 2900pro a few dollars above the 8800gts 640meg. The 320meg was considerably cheaper than it. I was kind of anticipating the pro's release and I was disappointed with the price.

I looked last night and I can't find 1 2900pro at any new parts sites now and there's not 1 listing on ebay. They just disappeared. They were everywhere last week. Multiple versions. They even had that 1gig ram version.

The biggest online site for hardware in scandinavia, komplett.se has one version of the 2900Pro 512MB (Sapphire I think) for 2099 SEK incl. VAT.

That's $329 or £160 including tax.

And they're listing like 100+ in stock.

Overclockers UK still have all the versions of the 2900Pro.

As you can see from this they range in price like this:

2900Pro 512 -> 8800GTS 320 -> 2900Pro 1GB -> 8800GTS 640 -> 2900XT 512

Cards.png

Now you can see why I've been advising the 2900Pro to everyone on here. The fact that it's more expensive then the 8800GTS 640 in america is very weird.. it was aimed by AMD at being cheaper then the 8800GTS 320 and it absolutely decimates the GTS range in price/performance ratio at the price it's meant to be at.

im not finding any deals on new cards. i was thinking of going budget for a few months until prices go down and upgrade then.

i was looking at this one

XFX GeForce 8600GTS 512MB $199.99

anybody got any thoughts or alternative suggestions for anything better than this in price/performance.

The king of under $200 performance is the x1950pro still.

It will beat out the 8600gts. It's got twice the memory bus because it was built as a higher end card instead of a mid range like the 8600.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102075 Great deal for $154. It's got 512 of vram too.

With no high-performance DirectX 10 cards under $200 to compete against it, the relatively powerful X1950 PRO is having a heyday. Yes, the 8600 GTS is a DirectX 10 card, but it's more expensive than the X1950 PRO and isn't in the same performance league when higher resolutions are used.

The card's other competition is the 7900 GS, which is currently much more expensive when we looked at pricing for this month's recommendations. The X1950 PRO will usually beat the 7900 GS in most benchmarks at stock speeds. The card's only other competition is its X1950 GT brother, which has an identical GPU, but with slightly lower clockspeeds. It's difficult to recommend the GT when it's only about $5 cheaper.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/01/the_best_gaming_graphics_cards_for_the_money/page2.html

Good article at link too. Video card buyers guide oct. 07

I run an x1950pro myself. Team it up with a fast cpu, tweak your settings correctly, and it runs ww2ol great. All other games run at max detail settings I've tried. I haven't got any of the new big boys though like bioshock. I'm sure it would be nothing to sneeze at in bioshock as well. Great card for the money.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0