Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frito123

Which computer is better?

23 posts in this topic

I'm spacer.gifBasically im not sure which is better.

Both are customized but it wouldnt let me copy all the sytems specs i picked out

Dell xps 720 $1,699

Gateway FX530XG $1,638.99

The dell with the core 2 duo 2.66mhz or the gateway with the core 2 quad core 2.40mhz.

Also the dell has 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 DIMMs, while the gateway has 3gb 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

The Dell has a 256MB nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS, and the gatway has NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS w/ 320MB, Dual DVI-I Dual link TV Out

both the same monitor 19inch and pretty much the same audio card. I think one has a bigger hard drive but i dont care much about that.

spacer.gifspacer.gif

I'm spacer.gifBasically im not sure which is better.

Both are customized but it wouldnt let me copy all the sytems specs i picked out

Dell xps 720 $1,699

Gateway FX530XG $1,638.99

The dell with the core 2 duo 2.66mhz or the gateway with the core 2 quad core 2.40mhz.

Also the dell has 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 DIMMs, while the gateway has 3gb 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

The Dell has a 256MB nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS, and the gatway has NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS w/ 320MB, Dual DVI-I Dual link TV Out

both the same monitor 19inch and pretty much the same audio card. I think one has a bigger hard drive but i dont care much about that.

spacer.gifspacer.gif

well swifty has a point. but not everyone can build a computer or has the time to do it.

The gateway is really a better computer as far as system specs go. the 8800GTS tromps the 8600 for sure. memory speed doesnt play THAT much of a role. im not saying that it doesnt make a difference/ but for your case i'd overlook the speed just for the other system specs.

But that being said. Even if you lined those two up with a custom built computer with the same or slightly less specs. the custom computer will always win out. just for the fact that the the OEM builders use cheap motherboards with cheap componants and complete **** power supplys. the dells also has a propritary 24 pin connector that differ's from the ATX standard. you can actully damage a dell by throwing another power supply in with out physically re arranging the pins on the 24 connector. im not sure about the gateway. but from all the computers ive built.. gateways are the Kia's of the computer world. they are good but they sure as hell arn't built to last. most of them have a good life span of about 6 or 7 years before they start breaking down. alot of this can be traced back to sub par power supplys. they dont use active PFC or inline surge protectors or power filters..(pretty much the same as the PFC). if I WERE YOU. I'd really consider trying to buy all the parts yourself. its alot of fun and you also learn about about computers at the same time. even if you cant build it. a GOOD local shop (not geek squad or the big chains) will build the computer for you. they might try and slang a Operating system at you.. just decline if you already have your own and you know how to install it. i think at this point both of those vendors are Vista only. you really, really, really, need windows Xp for Gaming. vista doesnt support alot of games. and vise versa. in general vista runs slower if you have all those goobs on.

but here are some tips from my years of pillagin' computers.

Don't skimp on the power supply. it'll take the rest of the computer out with it. Get as many watts and Amps across all the rails.. Enermax is a good brand.

Don't skimp on the cooling. get a damn good and i mean Damn good all copper heat sink. if its loud that just means you know the fans are going.

The motherboard is what you need to do the most research on. i'd spend more on the motherboard then the cpu if i was building on a budget. it pays off.

Always try and run Dual Channel. even if you just have a 2nd 128MB stick to enable it.

Expensive ram isnt all its cracked up to be. unless your some hardcore overclocker. the cheap(er) stuff is just as good. most of the time expensive ram at stock speeds yeilds a 50-100 point gain. I've gotten a better improvement just by adding a better power supply before. so save that cash and put it towards a better video card,mobo,cpu or such.

Cases are fancy. get one you love. with alot of features. but try and avoid the ones with doors. they just get annoying and tend to break off after awhile. Aluminum ones are the best as they dissapate heat better. Try and get a case that has 120mm Exhaust/intake fans. they'll be quieter and push more Cfm's

Don't flippin overload your case with neon lights ground effects and spinning disco balls. i like the lights too. but there is a point where your just stealing to much power.

HDD space is cool and all. but who really uses a terabyte of storage. honestly? a single 500GB drive can be picked up for less then 150$ now. a 250 is under a 100$ save the cash from the super arrays and spend it towards something else.

Lazer mice are good. get one.

save for a good monitor. doesnt have to be super huge. but try and goto the store to look at monitors when you can. so you can be happy with the picture. then go home and buy it online saving tons of Cash. Cause its stupid to have a expensive computer paired with a crappy monitor. after all it will only look as good as the monitor will let it. if your going CRT. which i still am a Big CRT fan. get one with at least 1600x1200 and a 72hz+ refresh rate. Dell M992's are good. so are Mitsubishi diamondplex. Sonys too.. why? because they are all mitsubishi monitors. just look at the On screen menus. if the menu is the same.. its the same monitor with a different plastic. CTX's are good. as far as LCD's go. i dont have all that much experaince with them.. i can repair and refurbish them. but as far as brands im clueless.

Get a Floppy drive. you'll need it if **** hits the fan and you need to re install your RAID driver before installing XP. Also helps if the vendor releases a BIOS Flash that either A.) resolves a problem with the board b.) Adds more features to the Bios c.) they found a way to speed up the "talking" and "handshaking". its been known to happen.

Well i guess this is a long enough reply. here are some links to the good online vendors.

www.tigerdirect.com

www.newegg.com

www.frozencpu.com <<< Best place for mods and heatsinks.

www.tomshardware.com << No BS Reviews of equipment.

[edit] I'm not debating what i said here with the rest of the crew. this is just my opinion and what I KNOW to be good. i still stand by buying the fastest computer for the money with out having to overclock. overclocking is cool. ive got my video cards overclocked. but when your on a budget or can't afford to replace the cpu and the rest of it.. if on the small chance that it does hurt the board or burns the cpu. i'd rather just have a computer that runs faster at stock speeds then a cheaper cpu that runs well better then the more expensive one when overclocked. it's just not worth it for alot of people.... Cause i know someone one of you kids are going to say "omfg buys a intel and throw some overclocking at it." I'm sure that i was overclocking computers before you knew what they were.. I overclocked a 75Mhz Packard bell when i was 13.. what about you? :)

Best of luck to you man.

wow thanks alot for taking the time to write those replies. That was alot of help/ I dunno if i want to do the custom thing because im afraid i will buy a part and it wont be compatible with the other parts (motherboard/ram etc). I was also looking at a HP computer that is about the same price and has 4gb ram but with a 8600 viceo card.

OMFG! Buy an Intel Core Tooo Dewoo and like clock that mudder!! Its like totally HAxorring!

sorry.. had to.. Seriously though even on a stock cooler and stock volts you can get a fair chunk of extra speed out of intel CPUs this day. I can understand why some people wouldn't want to but it's really really hard to kill these c2ds ;)

The dell is a better gaming computer all around, but the gateway has the better video card. Quads do not game better than dual cores. You will not get more than 2-5 fps comparing identical speed quad cores and dual cores in the same game. If you compared the 2.4ghz quad with the 2.66ghz dual in otherwise identical machines the dual core would outperform it fps wise.

Needless to say if you're a gamer on a budget get the dual core and use the money saved not running a quad on a better video card.

Come up with a list of parts. If you're worried about compatibility we will catch it here before you order.

Here's a decent list to start with.

CPU:intel core2duo e6750 $194

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

Aftermarket cpu cooler:Arctic Cooling Freezer7pro $20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

MB:Gigabyte p35R $129

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050

Ram:Gskill ddr800 latency 4,4,3,5 $79

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114

PSU:Corsair HX520 $119

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

Video:MSI 8800gts 640meg (75mhz faster than other models) $350

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127280

Sound:Creative xfi extremegamer $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006

HD:Western Digital 320gig 16meg cache AAKS Sata 3.0 $79

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074

Dvd rom:20x samsung $30

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153

Case: Lian Li black aluminum mid tower $99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112025

Floppy:Samsung black internal $7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16821103203

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

Monitor:Samsung 22"wide $279

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001240

Keyboard:Saitek backlite blue $39

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823175103

Mouse:Logitech LX3 $19 (sweet mouse, I've got one)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104019

CPU thermal paste:Arctic Silver Ceramique $5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100009

These choices were made with the best possible quality in mind while considering budget. I can give you specific reasons for each part if you're wondering. This a ready to go computer with everything, mouse&keyboard, OS, even crappy built in speakers on the 22" widescreen monitor.

I get about $1600 without mail in rebates which should be over $100 total and cover shipping.

I vote for my computer over the gateway and the dell. Niether could outperform it and a quick overclock on the cpu to 3ghz or over would have you smoking them. Plus you won't have all that pre installed crap software bogging you down.

There's no reason that CPU cooler, MB, ram combo can't get your cpu to an impressive speed. This is a good well known overclocking setup. There is better cpu coolers out there but not for $20.

wow thanks alot for taking the time to write those replies. That was alot of help/ I dunno if i want to do the custom thing because im afraid i will buy a part and it wont be compatible with the other parts (motherboard/ram etc). I was also looking at a HP computer that is about the same price and has 4gb ram but with a 8600 viceo card.

Here is some advice. Go and look into the phone book and find a computer repair shop. Call them and ask them if they would build a PC for you. Now go down to the store and tell them what you want the PC to do and your budget. You can either buy all the parts and give it to them and they will build it for you. Or you can have them order all the parts and build it for you.

The second option will probably be more expensive. I guarantee you that there is a local PC repair or store that will build a PC for you.

Personally I had no trouble building my first computer. I had more fun building it then I do with most games ;)

@Layzboy: Wait for Crysis and Alan Wakes 4 core support ;)

Any reason why you picked the gigabyte over the Abit IP35?

And personally I'd rather have no sound rather then listen to the tinny sound from built in speakers. Spend the $80~ on a creative 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

I'm an Abit fan. All my machines are abit. The Abit ip35 has a "double boot" problem. It's a bios issue. Most boards are needing a bios update. The Gigabytes are working out of the box. Not that a bios update is the most difficult thing, but for a first time builder I wanted to make it simple. The gigabyte is a good board. It was cheaper, now they're the same price.

I just pointed out the speakers on the monitor because they're there. I'm sure if he already has a pc he must have some speakers. I didn't want to run up the price of the machine by putting any on the list. I'd rather get a better sound card.

Any new quad core support will only be for those games. Eventually the video card will get bottlenecked. I'd still get a dual core. They're much better at overclocking as well.

Generally they put they latest BIOS on boards as they come out of the factory. So long as it's not an old board then it should be fine.

Abit does but the problem is newegg and other retailers get hundreds at a time. They sit on the shelf until they're sold so you may get an old bios you may get a new one. It's the luck of the draw. The same is true with steppings on cpu's.

The last abit I built was an AW9D and it wouldn't even run more than 10 minutes with the bios that came on the board without crashing. It was like a rock after I updated it but that can be discouraging for some people. It's nice when MB works out of the box. My AB9pro however got a new stable bios from the start.

There's no real difference between the two MB's. It's like the difference between an MSI 8800 and an EVGA. The Abit has more of an overclocking reputation but the gigabyte is no slouch in that area either and this guy probably won't push it that hard.

iirc a lot of people had trouble with the P965 abit boards then they brought out a BIOS update and suddenly they were the most stable. I was new enough to the custom hardware scene at that stage though so didn't trust abit for a while until I saw the light. Just wish I'd gone with Abit for my main board. Damn P5N-E keeps breaking on me. On my 4th board atm. Thank god for OCUKs quick RMA system.

i just ordered most everything on that list cheaper than those pre-built computers. ive never built one before but im sure if i have trouble people here and elsewhere online will help. will let you know how it runs

1 Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz $194.99

1 CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V $119.99

1 ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm $19.99

1 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer $80.99

1 SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black $29.99

1 LIAN LI PC-61 USB Black Aluminum ATX $99.99

1 SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive $6.99

1 G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM $79.99

1 Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB $79.99

1 GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 $129.99

1 MSI NX8800GTS-T2D640E-HD OC GeForce 8800GTS 640MB $349.99

1 Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound $4.99

1 Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B $89.99

1 LITE-ON SK-1788/BS 2-Tone PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard $6.99

1 Acer AL2016W Bb Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor $169.99

Subtotal: $1,464.85

Tax: $0.00

Shipping: $47.82

Rush Order Fee: $2.99

Total: $1,515.66

You're going to be happy with that. We'll be here for sure for questions even if we might be a little slow in replying.

Did you see the latest user review written at newegg for the e6750 cpu?

Pros: Running stable and cool at 450 X 8 = 3.6GHz with vcore at 1.4 on gbyte DS2R using AC Pro 7 hsf, ddr 6400 memory at 2.0 multiplier running at 900. Under load running orthos temps in mid 40s, at idle upper 20s. For an almost 1 GHz overclock, with the hsf above it's extremely quiet.

That's a near identical setup. It hit a very respectable overclock with stable temps. 3.6 @ 450 (1800mhz fsb) is some serious speed. They don't yet sell processors that can compete with that. Even a $1000 quad core 3ghz would get left in the dust gaming wise by a dual core running 3.6@450.

Had a Dell but the power supply blew after 2 years. Complete loss. Built my own and I am much happier - better machine for the $.

the thing im most wondering about is 2gb of 800mhz ddr2 ram better? Or is 3gb of 667mhz ddr2 ram better?

Is more ram better (3gb) or is higher mhz ram better? (800mhz)

Thanks for all the replies im still deciding what to do really.

the thing im most wondering about is 2gb of 800mhz ddr2 ram better? Or is 3gb of 667mhz ddr2 ram better?

That all depends what you're doing.

If you consider more ram for playing this game it's not needed. 2 GB is enough and faster memory should improve performance a bit.

If you're doing a lot of graphics and 3D rendering then more memory is better.

2gb is fine; I can't think of many games (if any one at all) that actually uses more than 2gb of memory.

The 800mhz is significantly faster than 667mhz; I know because my ram has been clocked at 533, 667, and 800.

Ideally as well, you want an even number of identical sticks; 2gb, 4gb, etc to take full advantage of DDR. I'm guessing the Gateway has 3x1gb sticks in three memory slots...?? I don't see how DDR mode could be enabled for all three sticks if that was the case.

But the bottom line is that the video card trumps any differences in RAM; the 8800GTS absolutely mops the floor with the 8600GTS; there's no comparison, they're not even close. Even if you only had 1gb of ram in the Gateway and 4gb in the Dell, the Gateway would win in performance in every single game on the planet.

It's really easy to build it yourself and you'll be 100x times happier with it ---> http://buildyourowncomputer.zuics.com

building it is the EAZY part...

Having it work...

Now that's the trick isn't it? even ready to go in the box systems alot of times have 'problems'...you only have to frequent to the computer builders message boards to see that there really IS NOT a 100% problem free IDEAL build to emulate.

...they might try and slang a Operating system at you.. just decline if you already have your own and you know how to install it. i think at this point both of those vendors are Vista only. you really, really, really, need windows Xp for Gaming. vista doesnt support alot of games. and vise versa. in general vista runs slower if you have all those goobs on.

Be careful here. If you were predisposed to a Brand Manufacturer's PC, i.e. Gateway/Dell.. you probably have one now (brand name).. of course this is an assumption though.

If it is the case that you have a brand name computer, your OS is locked to that PC, and you don't have a CD or the key code/license code- whatever they call it now- to use on a new PC.

Also, I think you are forced to buy Vista, but I believe are still legally entitled to downgrade. So, you can ask the PC shop (who will sell you VISTA) to load XP.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0