• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maniac

Adding the russians into WW2OL, difficulties of doing so.

5 posts in this topic

Just felt like throwing something out about the russians as alot of people would like to see them ingame and have for a while now...

Well... the russians had a treaty with germany for a while and stalin also had an odd obsession with hitler... (If you don't believe me look it up, but it will right freak you out...) So probably due to both of those they did not mobilize there defenses well or increase protection around there airfields, that is why on June 22, 1941 when germany invaded that they crumbled so fast, (not only that but the lack of leadership forseeing stalin had pretty much all his experienced and senior commanders executed). I really don't know how the rats would go about the russians, the game is based in 1939-1942... the Russians didn't join forces with allies till after June 22, 1941... Thats a good two years that they were somewhat on the axis side. Few more random bits that would make it hard to decide how to put russians on for this era of the game...

Following secret negotiations the Russian-German Non-Aggression Pact was signed in Moscow to the world's amazement. Its provisions included the dismemberment of Poland.

September 1st - Germany invaded Poland. As the Germans advanced into Poland, Russia invaded from the east on the 17th September. Warsaw surrendered to the German Army on the 28th and next day the country was partitioned in accordance with the Soviet-German Pact. Negotiations on border changes and control of islands in the Gulf of Finland broke down and Russia invaded on the 30th. Fiercely resisted by the small Finnish army, the war dragged on to March 1940. Britain and France planned to send aid to Finland. This would allow them to occupy Narvik in northern Norway and cut back Swedish iron ore supplies to Germany. Eventually the russo-finish war came to a close with a peace treaty on the 13th Finland ceding the disputed territory to the Soviet Union.

Judging by that Russians would theoritically be on the Axis side in BGE considering its timeline... Up to the point of tier 3 equipment (tiger, sherman76, churchill7, etc) but I'd say its extremely difficult to add the russians to the game citing the circumstances of what went down with them and the germans... If they were allied side there forces would be severely out of place to combat the germans, how would that be handled? The russians didn't manage to organize themselves until the germans had marched all the way to stalingrad were the volga river and heavy resistance then followed by winter slowed them down. Now you can't say the russians didn't see this coming because they had be warned I believe... If I remember right Winston Churchill actually stated he had warned Staling it would come, but Stalin didn't believe it and he didn't even believe it AFTER the germans had invaded, he simply expected it to be some kind of mistake and waited for the germans to stop... It would be a hard decision of how to put the russians in the game, but given the timeline the game is based on they would probably be Axis due to the fact of the non-agression pact, the fact they did work together to take poland, axis split the territory with russia, and the allies sent or planned to send support to finland when russia was attacking thus making them an enemy to russia during this time period...

It would be hard for the rats to incooperate the russians into the game stating those facts... But who knows, one things for sure if they were going to keep historical accuracy it'd be even tougher for the fact that they would be on germans side for two years (RDP tiers I suspose would account for years) and then when tier 3 comes in they would be against germany... Anyway now I'm just rambling, but I figure if the rats put the russians in they would be axis for the facts I've stated until a later release past 1942.

Meh... its complicated and I'm tired, but basically there is an ***ton of things that would have to be put down for russians to enter the game. The main being the addition of poland and a poland front for both german and russian sides as well as new equipment planes, towns, etc... Any way its done it is a complicated thing just like adding any of the other nations into the picture, usa, japan, italy, etc. But I imagine if new nations were to be introduced it would be these, russians and italians axis, pollish and finnish allied. Who knows except the rats... hopefully we will see or hear eventually...

Feel free to discuss, bash, whine, gripe, or whatever you wish of this post but try not to get to far off subject please... I'm just hoping some good will come out of this post for the game later down the road from peoples opinions and knowledge and also the rats involvement, reading, and posting in reply.

USSR would be allied from start to finish.

CRS places no constraints on itself based on historical progressions.

However, its largely moot as the likelihood of my precious USSR and (VVS) being added is nil.

USSR would be allied from start to finish.

CRS places no constraints on itself based on historical progressions.

However, its largely moot as the likelihood of my precious USSR and (VVS) being added is nil.

Not only that, but the USSR only fought Poland, right? So I don't think it would ever be considered Axis anyway.

You know I'd prefer to see NA. But as long as the CSIR or Hungary or any minor axis nations were modeled, I could live with the USSR.

It would be nice to see some Soviet troops joining the allies if they (the allies) live to see tier 3.

The legend: the Soviet Army, a neutral observer of the prolonged conflict between the 3 powers joins to prevent the imminent defeat of the allies (the Tiger effect).

The form: some expeditional brigades, sort of Soviet expeditionary division (or two). It may be possible to equip the Soviet divisions with some British or American equipment.

The theatre: the same old map, well developed and tested, especially as it (the map) expands.

IMHO that would be a great attractor. The problem is the development costs, in my even humblier (or humbler?) opinion.

Modelling the infantry alone ... :). But imagine the 14.5mm ATR with up to 30mm armor-piercing capability! And since it is Tiger as an opponent, T-34-85s would be appropriate (compare to Sherman/76) and Su-85.

Not much harm in dreaming.

Canadians are the obvious choice to be added next.

The first Canadians were on the continent in the weeks following the Blitzkrieg. They were landed to assist the French on stabilizing the line, but when it became apparent that that was not going to happen, were withdrawn to Great Britain.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0