• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darcsyde

Dual Core questions

16 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of upgrading to a new mobo and CPU, namely this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-DUAL-CORE-2-66GHz-DDR-DDR2-CPU-MOTHERBOARD-COMBO_W0QQitemZ300184972542QQihZ020QQcategoryZ1244QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My question is...if I buy this and simply install it, will XP find my new hardware and all that without me having to reformat?

Also, I currently have a 350w psu. Will this handle the wattage requirements for dual core?

Do you have a single-core cpu now?

From own experience I can say that moving from a single core to a dual core can cause some problems. Since the system is installed for a single cpu it might not recognise that you have two cores by itself.

I managed to fix this but I don't remember how now, but since I had some other issues I reinstalled from scratch anyway just to get everything cleaner.

Maybe someone knows how to make windows understand that there's suddenly two cpu cores.

I'm pretty sure that you PSU is enough for your CPU, but for the entire system with GFX card and everything it might not. Check if the new cpu draws a higher wattage than your old one. In general a 350W psu is a bit on the small side nowadays.

I run an AMD Sempron 3000 with an ATI x800 Pro currently.

I like the ASRock boards because they allow the use of DDR and DDRII memory, as well as AGP or PCIE video cards. This opens the pathway for more upgrades in the future. Problem is I can't find an AMD Chip on one of those boards.

I wouldn't try it with the existing XP setup.

Take the day or so, back everything up and start with a clean install. This will probably save a years worth of headaches.

1 person likes this

really, you don't want a pent d or dual core, get at leat a core 2 duo, it runs cooler, and is more modern than those 2 early on dual cores. I went from single core to a c2d and my game runs 10 times better, never adjusted anything except the threaded optimization thing in the nvidia graphics card, everything else i left alone for the game and no problems, i don't even usually studder over towns unless a lot of people are spawned in, good luck!

Just for you consideration: Ebay sucks for new computer parts. 95% of the time they're more expensive than a reputable new parts store or they are selling outdated product.

The only time I even try ebay is when I'm looking for an older part no longer carried in stores, like a 754 socket AMD cpu or an audigy2 pci sound card.

Other than that it's newegg, zipzoomfly, tigerdirect, and mwave. They are the best computer parts retailers online IMO.

UPDATE

Went with the ECS K2 Lite coupled with an AMD 64 X2 3600. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The game runs MUCH better!

Now I have a new question.

Is there a way to assign affinity to WWIIOL to both cores permanently? Currently I have to assign affinity each time I load the game, as it defaults to only 1 core.

Usually you'd be able to use a batch file to do this, but because the game is actually launched by the playnet app you can't at present.

Unless someone has found a way that is ;)

WindowsNT (NT3.X through win2k and XP) installs in one of two ways.

Single CPU installation

MultiCPU installation

It is two diffent setups, if you move from a single core to a dual core, you need to rerun windows installation or it wont work right.

Windows might boot and say yea 2 cpu's but it wont actualy be running right, and may run like total crap for you.

Unfortunately, since the consumer market at the time didnt consists of multi CPU machines, much mention of that was left out of the documentation.

But it is specificaly documented in the manuals for windows2000 workstation or server, as well as all older versions of winNT.

I see you already upgraded, and dont know if you reinstalled.

If not and you find yourself having any strange issues, do a data backup, then reinstall XP.

More than likely you can run it on the existing drive, and still have your data structure intact.

Most apps will still need a reload.

And make sure to install the AMD dual core windows optimization patch.

That's interesting. I'll have to tell the last cpu upgrade thread. I was telling him he probably wouldn't have to reformat just replacing the cpu, but I think he was going from single to dual core. Good info.

I was told that the only way to get WinXP to run underneath a mobo-cpu upgrade was to insert the Windows CD, boot from CD Rom, and choose repair install after installing the new hardware. I tried this, but it did not work for me because my hard drive had an OEM partition from Compaq used for recovery. This scenario probably won't be the same for everyone, however.

I had to do a clean reinstall of XP, which went off without a hitch. The system is running great, and XP sees and utilizes both of the cores.

But each time I start up WWIIOL, I have to manually set the affinity for the exe to use both cores. This isn't a big deal, but I was just wondering if there was a way to set it automatically.

I was told that the only way to get WinXP to run underneath a mobo-cpu upgrade was to insert the Windows CD, boot from CD Rom, and choose repair install after installing the new hardware. I tried this, but it did not work for me because my hard drive had an OEM partition from Compaq used for recovery. This scenario probably won't be the same for everyone, however.

I had to do a clean reinstall of XP, which went off without a hitch. The system is running great, and XP sees and utilizes both of the cores.

But each time I start up WWIIOL, I have to manually set the affinity for the exe to use both cores. This isn't a big deal, but I was just wondering if there was a way to set it automatically.

IT used to automatically run with two cores, but in a recent patch, CRS forced it to just use one core, there was some performance issues with dualcore active with ww2online. Dont know when they will resort back to the dual core setup though.

So does that mean that regardless of whether I set it to use both' date=' it will only use one?[/quote']

No, it will use both if you set it for both but you have to do it every time you open the game right now. I don't believe there's a way to make it stay on 2 cores at the moment. It was on 2 cores by default. They changed it to 1 in the last patch to combat performance issues they were having with dual cores for a while. I never had a problem. I think it was mostly dual core AMD's that were. It will probably change back to defaulting to both cores in a future patch. I'm not sure if it's the next one. I don't think so.

Really though I forget to enable the second core 80% of the time I play and I don't miss it. If you do enable it you only get about a 10fps boost at the most because the game isn't written to optimally take advantage of both cores.

Sounds like you know how to do it but since you're new to dual cores I'll post some instructions anyway.

You ctrl-alt-delete, go to processes, find ww2sse2.exe, right click on it, go to set affiniy, check the box next to both cpu's, and close the task manager.

That's interesting. I'll have to tell the last cpu upgrade thread. I was telling him he probably wouldn't have to reformat just replacing the cpu' date=' but I think he was going from single to dual core. Good info.[/quote']

He wont have to reformat, if it is terribly inconvenient for him to do so.

He can retain his file structure etc.

But he will need to put windows through the motions of setup so it can install with a multi CPU kernel.

He will then of course need to let windows redo its updates.

If he uses the exact same username during setup his desktop and program menu will be retained.

Some of his registry entries will even be retained

Some of his programs will need to be reinstalled though regardless.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0