Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hog

WinXP: The system has recovered from a serious error

8 posts in this topic

Occasionally when I'm playing the game, my computer will just suddenly turn off and reboot. When I get back in to windows I get a dialog with: "The system has recovered from a serious error." When I click on the Further Information link I get the following Error signature:

BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 805535F0 BCP3 : B2000000

BCP4 : 00070F0F OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

It doesn't happen often enough for me to be terribly concerned about it but what I really want to know is if this could be hardware related (e.g. overheating) or can it only be a software thing?

it could be any number of things.

it could be your PSU on way out or overheat protection on your PSU.

it could be faulty ram.

the system may of run out of virtual memory but your system is crashing before it presents this message.

it could be a hard drive on the way out.

it could be your video card over heating.

it may just be you havn't unchecked "reboot system when errors found" tab (right click my computer left click properties , click advanced start up and recovery settings > uncheck automatically restart when errors are found.

it could be any number of things.

it could be your PSU on way out or overheat protection on your PSU.

it could be faulty ram.

the system may of run out of virtual memory but your system is crashing before it presents this message.

it could be a hard drive on the way out.

it could be your video card over heating.

Errgh... I'm too dumb to test all that stuff but I hope it isn't my hard drive. I think I'll have to buy a second drive as a backup anyway.

it may just be you havn't unchecked "reboot system when errors found" tab (right click my computer left click properties ' date=' click advanced start up and recovery settings > uncheck automatically restart when errors are found.[/quote']

Nice tip - never new about this one. I've unchecked it. Hopefully that's not unwise?

Thanks

yes make sure its unticked, i run my systems for years with that unticked, never ever had to reformatt a pc.

same thing mine did last year,,,after 2 months found unit was full off dust,,,,blew out unit and it ran fine,,,,just a thought

yes make sure its unticked' date=' i run my systems for years with that unticked, never ever had to reformatt a pc.[/quote']

k - thanks.

same thing mine did last year' date=',,after 2 months found unit was full off dust,,,,blew out unit and it ran fine,,,,just a thought[/quote']

Good idea, I'll check that too.

I've had 2 different sound drivers do this to my machine. I tried quite a few different possibilities before finding that out too.

One was realtek motherboard sound with old drivers and the other was an older really nice hercules gaming theater sound card. The drivers were just too old and hadn't been updated for a long time since hercules was bought out. It didn't like my new machine. It worked most of the time but would suddenly reset my whole machine randomly. After all the problems I uninstalled the older card and went back to MB sound with updated drivers. It worked great. I now have an xfi platinum and my machine hasn't randomly reset in forever.

My guess is a driver that doesn't agree with something. Try getting the newest sound drivers for your machine.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0