Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
discotec

Opinions on build

61 posts in this topic

I don't see any problems with it. If you don't plan on using the 2 video card slots and you aren't using the wifi than I might look at an Abit ip35 standard version. It's a good overclocking board based on the same chipset but it only has 1 video card slot and no wifi. They go for close to $100 in the US.

I'm partial because I don't really like Asus. From what I've seen in the last couple of years they've really sucked on quality control lately and they rely on their good name to keep selling their products. Darg has went through I think it's 4 of the same board that keeps failing on him. It's Asus. All brands do get lemon models every once in a while.

Gigabyte MB's have done well lately. They're worth a look.

You might see if you can find a stripped down intel x38 chipset for the same price as your tricked out p35 board. The x38 is the new bad boy intel chipset and has the new pci express 2.0 video card slots. There's ddr2 and ddr3 versions of it.

Thermalright coolers are pretty much the best. Make sure you buy a fan they don't come with one. You'll have no problem getting a nice overclock out of this setup.

Low latency ddr800 of at least 4,4,3,8 should be all the ram you need. You can slack the tight timing ddr800 to 5,5,5,15 and hit 1100mhz with it. Low latency ddr800 and higher latency ddr1200 are usually the same ram chips when you really get down to it. They are just set differently at the factory. I've seen micron D9's in ddr800 and ddr1100. Look for gskill ddr800 in latency 4,4,3,5. They sell it in the US and it's great ram. The ram you picked looks a little generic. No heat spreader and I don't see a brand. Not that it won't run stock speed, but I wouldn't buy it to overclock with.

Of course something that will run 1066 will allow you to hit 533 on your cpu fsb for a speed of 4.7 on an e6750, so that ram will give you alot of headroom. Tight latency helps performance too and you may be able to max your cpu fsb and still keep your latency 4,4,3,5 with the right ram. At stock speed of 400 fsb with a 1:1 ram/cpu divider an e6750 will give you 3.6 ghz.

The PSU should be fine. If you don't make it to 3.2-3.6ghz I'd be surprised.

Thanks for the input!

I only went for the wifi mobo because I'm switching ISP's and getting a wireless router with the new ISP so figured I could put the router downstairs out of the way and use the wifi also my parents can use the wifi for their new laptop they bought! Will that work or will I still need to connect the router to my comp using the ethernet cable ? If so I won't bother with a wifi mobo!

As for a gigabyte mobo is this a good one ? Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard there's a few of them but I don't quite understand what I'm looking for in each one or what makes one more expensive than the other in the gigabyte mobo section!

With regards to your RAM comments is this what I need GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC) it's cheap and has the timings you mentioned (I don't understand the timings) will it be easy to OC it to 1066mhz ?

And finally I didn't know I needed a fan to go with the CPU cooler lol Will I be able to the use the one that is currently in my comp stuck on the CPU or should buy a new one in which case is this Arctic Cooling Arctic Fan 12025L 120mm Fan - 3 Pin the correct one ?

Oh also if I wanted to cut out the PSU and use my current one, will a 475w enermax noistaker cut it or should I just spend and get the OCZ 600w as it'll save me possible some money for future upgrades (can't imagine needing more than 600w for a few years ?)

Pick a good new 120mm fan. Don't use an old one. They're like $10. This is the most important fan in your machine. A 4 pin will allow the MB to control the rpm's. A 3 pin won't. Sometimes it's nice to be able to quiet one down when you want to.

The Gigabyte board is good. The more expensive versions are newer revisions and have better NB coolers for higher overclocking and the much more expensive ones have 2 video card slots and wifi stuff like the others. It's basically identical to the abit ip35. It's a stripped down version of the first board you linked but with identical guts. Make sure you don't need any of the extra inputs the other boards have. There's one version of the gigabyte board you linked that's only about 10-20$ more that has a nicer northbridge cooler.

I've heard that wifi sucks for online gaming. Even if you have a solid connection it can cause you to ctd more than a wired one. I'd just put the wireless router near your pc and plug into it with a wire. Everyone else can use wireless. The wireless routers generally always have wire inputs too.

The different timing numbers represent various operations it takes to access a piece of data stored in the ram. The numbers represent clock cycles, less is faster. The giel ram is ok but the last timing number is 12. You should be able to find some as low as 5. Which when you measure in clock cycles, 5 is more than twice as fast as 12 at that particular ram operation. These lost clock cycles add up fast to performance loss in the higher latency machine.

I might take the giel over the 1066. Being able to run latency 4 is going to give you about a 2-5% performance boost over running latency 5 if everything else is identical. You got to figure that the giel will hit at least 850 without moving the timings. So, that will give you almost 3.8ghz or more to overclock to before the ram starts to give out. The 1066 isn't really necessary. The giel will easily run 1066 at the same 5,5,5,15 timings as the other stuff. Like I said they're basically the same minus a few factory settings and a heat spreader.

ok so this fan Arctic Cooling Arctic Fan 12025PWM 120mm Fan - 4-Pin PWM is the one I want then ?

As for the RAM there's only 1 800mhz set of ram that has lower than 12 for the final timing and it's twice as much so I think I'll stick with what the geil RAM as with me not being a hardcore performance junky I probably notice much difference between the 2

For the better gigabyte mobo is it Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 & DDR3 Motherboard or Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard which you meant ?

or would I be better of with Asus P5K Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard as I do like Asus and the overclock program that comes with the mobo's it's handy when you can just double click & choose what you want to OC

Basically I just need a mobo that will run the conroe, the ram, my GPU, has an ethernet connection for my router and has SATA connections for the HD I'm getting. I don't know what else I need a mobo for which I come here to ask you guys who know the ins & outs lol

Oh and another thing I currently have a trustworthy DVD burner except it's IDE, will this matter at all or should I just spend £20 and get a SATA DVD burner ?

yes get a custom CPU fan job, even thou intel gives 3 years warrantee on fan they die in 2 years leaving you with a problem.

Ok so after looking around on the OCers site at different items I've managed to save money & also get some extras

So this is what I have in the basket now

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.66GHz (1333FSB) - Retail

Asus P5K Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)

Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 400GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (0A33439)

OCZ StealthXStream 600w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply

Samsung SH-S203NBEBN 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter (Black) - OEM

Coolermaster CM-690 Dominator - Black (No PSU)

Akasa AK-876 CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940/AM2/1207FX)

Akasa AK-TK-02 Cable Tidy Kit

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)

All for a cheapo fantastic value price of £435.22 (first list was just over £450)

I'll be getting a sound card as well but I already know which one I want

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty 7.1 Champion Series Sound Card - Retail

Sooo will what I have now be good enough for everything I need it for which will be playing the game that comes with these forums & various other games ?

Ok so after looking around on the OCers site at different items I've managed to save money & also get some extras

If it's easy to run a cable I'd go for the wired instead of wireless. No interference. [insert rabbit-ear tv broadcast reception adjustment nightmares here]. AFAIK the newest wifi cards have started cutting hardware costs by moving some processing from hardware to a driver (meaning your cpu gets the load).

PSU: My 7800 GT uses about 100W max (can't remember exact number). Second biggest power drain is the CPU. My athlon 64 4000+ drains 90W max, together that's about 190. Drives and fans don't consume that much. I use a 450W PSU and its works fine (its not a cheap one though ;) The 600W might be overkill. But a good powersupply is a good investment, it might come in handy eventually, so if money isn't tight, go for it!

SATA DVD vs IDE DVD

Check what kind of transfer rate a dvd burner can use, and what plain IDE provides. Other than that, you probably aren't going to sit and watch a burn anyway, so even if sata is faster, you probably won't care too much. How many ports you have available is probably more important. Again, if money isn't tight, the SATA might be a good investment (assuming IDE becomes obsolete)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243406-32-sata-burner

Erik

So this is what I have in the basket now

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.66GHz (1333FSB) - Retail

Asus P5K Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)

Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 400GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (0A33439)

OCZ StealthXStream 600w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply

Samsung SH-S203NBEBN 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter (Black) - OEM

Coolermaster CM-690 Dominator - Black (No PSU)

Akasa AK-876 CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940/AM2/1207FX)

Akasa AK-TK-02 Cable Tidy Kit

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)

All for a cheapo fantastic value price of £435.22 (first list was just over £450)

I'll be getting a sound card as well but I already know which one I want

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty 7.1 Champion Series Sound Card - Retail

Sooo will what I have now be good enough for everything I need it for which will be playing the game that comes with these forums & various other games ?

I like it. It's about the perfect price/performance gaming rig. It also has some good overclocking potential. I bet 3.2 ghz is all but guaranteed. I recently got an xfi platinum sound card and I'm really liking it. The directional finding capability is much improved from my MB sound. It's nice to have in ww2 for sure.

You can switch the controls to audio creation mode and enable the pitch shifter effect on your mic. I drag the pitch way low kick in some reverb and do my best satan impressions on ts. =)

This rig with a 7800gt video card will run about 35-40fps in heavy firefights and 100-200 in the air alone. 50-100fps outside of town or at fb's. That's before the 1.28 performance improvements. You can also capture with fraps at about 30fps rock solid, even flying into heavy battles. I got a core2duo near 3ghz and sometimes I forget I'm running fraps it's so smooth even when capturing.

You're running windows xp on this system right?

I just looked back a few posts and saw your question about the gigabyte. The first cheaper link uses a p35c chipset. I think it's the lower cost alternative to the standard p35. Your second link for 4 pounds more uses the standard p35 northbridge chip. It also has the better cooling I was talking about.

GA-P35-DS3R is also part of the GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 2 Series of motherboards, featuring top quality electronic components which provide optimized power savings, ultra cooling and extended system durability

I don't know if it's really changed yet but most overclockers use bios settings still instead of software programs. None of them seemed stable to me so far. I like the bios. I'm used to the settings and how to tweak em. I don't like the software messing with stuff. What I do use the software for is monitoring temperatures in windows actively while I'm gaming.

Yep I'll be running XP, been waiting all night for approval of the build lol Gonna order it all now but I have one final question, seen as though I'm pretty much building a whole new rig with the exception of a GPU, would it be worth me spending the £50 more and just getting this OcUK GeForce 8600 GT 512MB DDR2 HDTV/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail as well ?

Yep I'll be running XP' date=' been waiting all night for approval of the build lol Gonna order it all now but I have one final question, seen as though I'm pretty much building a whole new rig with the exception of a GPU, would it be worth me spending the £50 more and just getting this OcUK GeForce 8600 GT 512MB DDR2 HDTV/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail as well ?

Meh I just had a look at the equivalent ATI cards lol now I can't decide whether I should go for the 8600 or go for this PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO SCS3 SILENT 512MB DDR2 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

Which one is better ?

Also why is this Asus ATI Radeon EAH2600 Pro HTDP Silent 256MB DDR2 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail more expensive yet it's half the memory ?

Having looked at toms hardware charts for GPU's it appears my little 7800GT wayyyy out performs the new cards I've picked out which perplexes me as it's an older card with less clock speed & memory so how does it outperform the cards with more "umph" ??

Specs for my 7800

Core clock 400MHz

20 Pixel Pipelines

1000MHz+ GDDR3 Ultra Fast Memory

256-Bit Memory interface

7 Vertex Shaders

Memory Bandwidth - 32.0GB/sec

Fill Rate - 8.00 billion pixels/sec

You're comparing mid range cards and top end cards that's why. The 7800gt when it came out was upper end. All top end cards since the radeon 9700pro have had a 256bit memory bus at least to the vram. To create this mid range market the video card manufacturers have been making these mid range cards with a crippled memory bus.

The 2600pro, xt and the 8600gt, gts are all 128bit memory bus cards. That's why your 7800 outperforms them. It's got twice the memory bus. The secret to a good video card purchase is to get the best card you can afford that still uses the higher range cards memory bus.

Yes the 8800gt would be worth it. It would pretty much make your machine top of the line for now. The only thing that would be faster is a faster speed core2duo or an 8800gtx, which is $500. The quads don't really game any faster since no games have yet been written that can run 4 threads at the same time and take advantage of the 4 core. In gaming 2 cores sit there and do nothing.

Slightly lower cost alternatives to the 8800gt would be the ATI 3870 512meg or the 3850 512meg. The 3850 is only a few fps slower than the older 8800gts and it's way cheaper when you compare the 640meg version. The HD 3870 is only slightly slower than the 8800gt for significantly less money. Those are about the only serious gaming cards to buy right now. The older 8800's and the other ati cards are now overpriced with the intro of this new group of extremely reasonably priced gaming cards by ATI and Nvidia.

The 8800gt is fastest but only by a slight margin and you have to pay more for it. I've also heard they run very hot, even with the new cooler. That can stress a machine out. I'm an ATI fan. I like the 3870. It's direct x 10.1 compliant not just 10.0 like the nvidia cards. It's also 55nm manufacturing technology where as the nvidia 8800gt is 80nm. That makes the ATI cards less power hungry and cooler running. They are not much slower either. In this doom bench I have the 3870 outperforms the 8800gt so as you can see they are very close in performance and it depends on which test you mean when you say one is faster than the other.

doom3.png

Funny you mention the 8800's & 3850's I'm thinking of spending the extra & going over my budget for them lol only problem is, the place is out of stock of the ones I fancy getting. So I'm guessing I'll use my 7800 for a couple more months, by then the prices will start falling on the high end cards I guess!

IMO for any serious gamer that doesn't have money to burn the best price/performance video card for WW2OL is the ATI 3850 256meg version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129101

You can get one for $169 and they are only a little behind the 8800gts in performance. Personally I would pay the extra 30-40 for the 512 version but if you need to squeeze a few bucks to make it under your budget WW2 doesn't need 512megs of vram. Most games still do well with 256. I'd sure take one of these over an 8600gts. The 3850 would put the 8600 to shame performance wise and they're within $20 of each other in price if not the same for some versions of the 8600.

There's also a 256meg version of the 8800gt for $199 here in the US. Great ww2 card.

As you can see the 3870 because of it's 55nm core runs the fastest clock speed of any video card out by a long shot. 825mhz on the core. It's the 3850's big brother. It's got a few more texture pipelines to go along with the faster clock. They come in at $250. With that really fast clock more driver tweaks could put it ahead of the 8800gt in performance. It already beats it out in some games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102713

That will do fine for 3 years other than 2gb of memory. At some point you're going to want 4gb, probably not until you switch to a 64bit OS but if you run 4gb in XP 32bit you will be able to utilize 3.2gb. If you switch to Vista within 3 years I guarantee you will need more than 2gb. (Try to keep that ram upgrade in mind)

The last couple of midrange systems i've built for others(that do some gaming) i've used a 4gb A-DATA kit which uses four pc2-6400 1gb sticks(cas 5) which are pretty cheap(like $135 usd for the kit) and haven't had any trouble with them.

Anyway if you put much voltage on DDR2 dimms make sure you get a fan blowing over them, they can get pretty hot without airflow over 1000MHz w/2.0v+.

woot ordered it all now I'm so excited :D

Oh just an FYI I switch the CPU cooler for a different as I went to the overclock.net forums to ask for some extra advice and they reccomended this Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775) over the Akasa one I had selected

That's not a bad cooler for the money, alot of folks are running them. I'm looking forward to your results, let us know your opinion after you get her goin.

PCI Express 2.0 cards are hitting the market, and the performance increase is apparent.

acccording to layzboys chart, the 8800 GTX Ultra has the best performance, it should since it has the highest fill rate of the nvidia cards at 38 billion pixels per second (compared to the 4 billion of my 6600GT and 9 billion of a 7900GS). it has something like 105 gb/sec memory bandwidth.

what the chart doesnt show is the newest card, the 8800GTS 512 pcie 2.0. at like 57gb/sec memory bandwidth, half that of the ultra, has a fill rate of 41 billion pixels.

PCIE 2.0 increases the bandwidth of the bus from 2.5 GT/sec to 5.0 GT/sec ( have no idea what GT/sec is)

That's not a bad cooler for the money' date=' alot of folks are running them. I'm looking forward to your results, let us know your opinion after you get her goin.[/quote']

Will do, I'll post some pics as well of the build as well to keep ya'll entertained lol

woot ordered it all now I'm so excited :D

Oh just an FYI I switch the CPU cooler for a different as I went to the overclock.net forums to ask for some extra advice and they reccomended this Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775) over the Akasa one I had selected

The Freezer7 pro is probably the most popular aftermarket cooler in the for 775 socket intels. There's something like 800 reviews at newegg alone. It's got very respectable performance and noise levels plus it sells for $20 in the US. It outperforms the stock cooler by 10-15 degrees celcius in load temps especially when overclocked.

That's quite a nice looking machine you put together. It will impress you. If you do any amount of video encoding or dvd burning you'll love how fast the upper end core2duo's are at that. It's 2 1/2 times faster at transcoding divx than my AMD athlon 3200, plus I can surf the web at the same time.

PCI Express 2.0 cards are hitting the market, and the performance increase is apparent.

acccording to layzboys chart, the 8800 GTX Ultra has the best performance, it should since it has the highest fill rate of the nvidia cards at 38 billion pixels per second (compared to the 4 billion of my 6600GT and 9 billion of a 7900GS). it has something like 105 gb/sec memory bandwidth.

what the chart doesnt show is the newest card, the 8800GTS 512 pcie 2.0. at like 57gb/sec memory bandwidth, half that of the ultra, has a fill rate of 41 billion pixels.

PCIE 2.0 increases the bandwidth of the bus from 2.5 GT/sec to 5.0 GT/sec ( have no idea what GT/sec is)

Don't you mean the 8800gt 512meg not gts? The gts comes in 320 and 640meg. The 8800gt 512 meg pci express 2.0 card is on the chart a little below the top. That chart is only maybe a month old. The ultra is a little faster than the GT probably because of a larger memory bus. I think the 8800gt has a 256bit memory bus and the 8800gtx ultra has a 320bit. They might also have different numbers of pixel pipelines.

Of course we're comparing cards that are 100% different in price. That makes the 8800gt much more desirable in my book. The ultra is a power devouring monster too and probably doesn't have much longevity being built to the max like it is. Right now there's no reason to buy the 8800ultra any more unless you don't care about money. You can buy 90-95% of the performance level for half the price with the GT. That extra 5-10% costs you $250 buying an ultra...ouch. Not worth it. Put that extra $250 into a better cpu and you'll be a lot happier.

edit: ahh I see what you're talking about. I didn't know about this new card. Kinda spendy anyway ($360), not really my range of card. I like to keep it around $150-250.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0