Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
discotec

Opinions on build

61 posts in this topic

rgr,its pricey, new tech usually is, but its the second 2.0 card,the GT was the first. the new slot works well enough for the GTS512 to have a higher fill rate at half the mem bandwidth than the ultra, for $150 less.

Yay got everything today

dsc00517vp6.jpg

Now I just need to focus and build it but I keep getting distracted by the various shiny parts :(

OOOooo!!!

Call in sick and build it. Looks exciting. Good luck, take your time.

lol I don't need to call in sick I'm my own boss!

Soooo I've got everything out opened the case up (which comes with loads of annoying wires) and installed the PSU so far, just reading the mobo manual to figure where everything goes!

Just a question though, if I'm using the fatality front port I won't need to connect the front audio connectors that are on the actual case will I ?

Pic of case with PSU installed

dsc00519op0.jpg

oooh it's starting to take shape now, with mobo now installed it's onto installing the CPU and the heatsink

dsc00521qf4.jpg

CPU & Heatsink installed after alot of shouting & a cut hand!

Those fancy Heatsinks are a biatch to fit on & not very friendly :mad:

dsc00522nt3.jpg

Oh well can't do RAM now as the dumb ****s have only sent 1 stick when I ordered a 2 x 1gb pack ffs

Oh well not only am I missing a stick of RAM but I was supposed to get a game with my Graphics card which I didn't get.

And now I find the case has a major design flaw, with the PSU being mounted at the bottom I can't get my ATX12v 4-pin Mobo connector to reach the to the top of the mobo without going through my PCI cards (which I can't do without cutting a hole in them thus rendering them useless) so now I think I need http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-022-AK&groupid=701&catid=48&subcat=153 one of these :mad: So ****ing pissed off right now, it should be up & running now but probably won't have it ready till the weekend now with these setbacks :mad::mad::mad:

interesting thread....pretty much all reviews ive read with power supply's being mounted down the bottom, require an extension cable .

As far as the wireless connection goes, Ethernet cable into the router is best for gaming...Surfing and email, the odd download are fine with wireless IMO

Well I fitted everything I could in

Here's the GPU

dsc00524ud0.jpg

Came with a fancy screwdriver (above the GPU looks like a pen) which has multiple attachments & a light on it along with the spirit level lol

Here's inside with everything fitted & wired minus the RAM and CPU connection

dsc00527jh3.jpg

And here's a view from the front of the case

dsc00528ls4.jpg

Sorry for picture quality have to use my camera phone :mad:

When I saw that first pic of the PSU at the bottom of the case I was thinking, "I hope those cords reach"

You should be able to dig up an extension. How do they send you 1 stick of ram when they are supposed to be pair matched to run dual channel? Wouldn't both sticks come in the same packaging? If they just send you another one there's an off chance it won't go into dual channel not being a matched pair.

When I saw that first pic of the PSU at the bottom of the case I was thinking, "I hope those cords reach"

You should be able to dig up an extension. How do they send you 1 stick of ram when they are supposed to be pair matched to run dual channel? Wouldn't both sticks come in the same packaging? If they just send you another one there's an off chance it won't go into dual channel not being a matched pair.

I ordered an extension this morning which should get by the weekend. With regards to the RAM I had to send back the single today (only cost me 80p to post lol) and they're going to send out a dual channel kit once they receive it. sooo should have my comp up & running next week at the latest, just hope I've wired everything right :confused:

Heh so with me not being able to play with it yet I've had some time to make it all neat & tidy cable wise!

Here's my updated tidy cable skills

dsc00531bx5.jpg

Looks good. For a minute I was going to ask why you didn't get a round floppy cable but having one myself I realized it's the cord for the live drive on the xfi sound card. I was a little disappointed when I saw the ribbon cable it came with. I like to make my wiring look good too.

A little trick that makes your wiring look professional:

Take excess wire from fan leads and other longer wires and wrap them around a round shaft philips screwdriver until all the slack is taken up. Slide the screwdriver out and now your wire has a phone cord appearance and can be stretched to whatever length you need.

I always found it more visually appealing than spaghetti.

You can see what I'm talking about on the wires from the fan on my side door. This is an older picture when I was running an old hercules sound card on top of the case. My front door fell off a few months ago too.

CopyofIMG_0646.jpg

My case doesn't have a window on the side panel so I'm not going to faff about with twirling the wires lol I would probably if it had a window but there's no point doing things for aesthetic purposes when it's not going to be seen. I do like how yours have turned out though although the colours aren't really to my liking lol

Yeah I'm slightly pee'd with the front drive cable but I'll probably head on over to PC world this weekend and pick up a rounded one to replace it with to make it a little less cumbersome and messy!

The RAM made it to the place today and got a mail before saying they'd shipped the correct RAM off to me now so fingers crossed I shall have the PSU extension tomorrow and can get it all up & running!

My only concern is that something will decide to not work as it seems like a build from hell so far lol

My case doesn't have a window on the side panel so I'm not going to faff about with twirling the wires lol I would probably if it had a window but there's no point doing things for aesthetic purposes when it's not going to be seen. I do like how yours have turned out though although the colours aren't really to my liking lol

Yeah I'm slightly pee'd with the front drive cable but I'll probably head on over to PC world this weekend and pick up a rounded one to replace it with to make it a little less cumbersome and messy!

The RAM made it to the place today and got a mail before saying they'd shipped the correct RAM off to me now so fingers crossed I shall have the PSU extension tomorrow and can get it all up & running!

My only concern is that something will decide to not work as it seems like a build from hell so far lol

lol. I had a flawless build this go around. I even hooked up the front panel power wires, reset wires, HDD wires, etc. up right the first time. I usually mix at least one up.

lol. I had a flawless build this go around. I even hooked up the front panel power wires' date=' reset wires, HDD wires, etc. up right the first time. I usually mix at least one up.[/quote']

This is my first actual full build so I'm stressing a little more than when I last upgraded my old comp which was just a case of remembering where everything went lol

Hopefully it will all go smooth now it's just a case of fitting in the RAM which is easy peesy and hooking up the CPU power connection with the extension then crossing my fingers & hoping it all powers up normally lol

i was just reading an article at tomshardware guide about corsair dominator memory.i learned that memory performance has very little effect on game performance. the benchmark test used f.e.a.r with DDR2 800 modules with different latency and overclocking ( 1 DIMM was clocked to 1123 ). the framerate results showed 1 fps increase with the 1123. the big difference came with things like video encoding. he stated in the article that games rely mainly on CPU/GPU performance rather than memory.the amount of memory is more important than frequency and latency in gaming.

This is my first actual full build so I'm stressing a little more than when I last upgraded my old comp which was just a case of remembering where everything went lol

Hopefully it will all go smooth now it's just a case of fitting in the RAM which is easy peesy and hooking up the CPU power connection with the extension then crossing my fingers & hoping it all powers up normally lol

This is my 3rd computer for myself and the 6th or 7th overall I've built. It's really simple, especially after you get used to it. Only thing I ever mess up is that damn from panel wire assembly.

Most important thing of all is to make sure nothing is touching where it shouldn't, like the motherboard being pressed against the frame behind it. I had a friend do something similar after changing a motherboard, forgetting to move one of the pegs. Ended up burning a hole right through.

i was just reading an article at tomshardware guide about corsair dominator memory.i learned that memory performance has very little effect on game performance. the benchmark test used f.e.a.r with DDR2 800 modules with different latency and overclocking ( 1 DIMM was clocked to 1123 ). the framerate results showed 1 fps increase with the 1123. the big difference came with things like video encoding. he stated in the article that games rely mainly on CPU/GPU performance rather than memory.the amount of memory is more important than frequency and latency in gaming.

Was the memory speed adjusted by itself or was the cpu fsb and the memory raised at the same time at matching frequencies? I believe the article was a little deceptive and used a cpu at stock fsb frequencies to compare different ram speeds.

If you run your cpu fsb at stock speed (333 on latest core2duo's) comparing ddr667 to ddr1200 will be hardly any difference because they are both bottlenecked to the same cpu fsb. They can't talk to the cpu any faster than the cpu fsb is set. The only possible speed boost would be operations going on inside the ram faster which is where you get your 1fps figure.

However, if you set your cpu fsb and your ram speed to a divider of 1:1, meaning that the ram and cpu fsb frequencies stay the same as they are raised you'll get way more performance from the faster ram. A lot of your gain is from the cpu core going up in speed as well but it's now fed with more bandwidth from the ram too. The only way to raise the core clock speed of a non extreme edition intel is to raise the fsb. The multipliers are locked and since they are going up to 4ghz you want all the fsb bandwidth you can get so you can max out your core. That's where the faster ram really comes in.

Basically any ram faster than ddr667 is made for overclocking. I'd like to explain this without going in to boring detail but I don't think there's another way.

Intel currently markets their cpu's with a "1333mhz" fsb. This is a marketing tool. The actual speed of an intel running 1333mhz fsb is 333mhz. They are allowed to call it 1333mhz because it runs on 4 separate buses so they claim it's "quad pumped".

All that crap aside when you look in the bios at a new intel running 1333 you'll see 333mhz for the fsb. 333mhz is made to run with ddr667. ddr667 actually runs at 333mhz too. The only reason it's called 667 is because it's "ddr" meaning it sends data on the top and bottom of the clock cycle.

Since running ddr1100 in a stock machine is only 1-2% better the only reason to buy it is to have the additional headroom to raise your cpu's fsb to a max of 550mhz when you have ddr1100.

DDR800 will give you overclocking headroom on your cpu's fsb up to 400mhz. If you buy ddr667 you will not be able to overclock at all. You ram is already at it's limit with your cpu at stock speed.

400mhz fsb on an intel e6750 gives you a core speed of 3.2ghz. Most are making it to that comfortably. (400x8=3.2ghz). Stock the ram/cpu speed divider will be set 333/400 so that the ram can run it's stock speed and the cpu can run it's stock speed. That's how toms tested it. You change the divider to 400/400 or 1:1. CPU's have always run best with sync'd clock cycles with the ram. You can usually take ddr800 up to about 850 or 900 before you have to slack the timings.

The latency thing is actually to buy more headroom for overclocking as well. All these different ddr2 speeds are less different from each other than you think. There's only 3 or 4 companies that make the actual chips. All the brands you hear of are just people that assemble the ram. Corsair doesn't make ram they build chips mostly from micron ram. Many other companies use micron or samsung or infineon. DDR800 running latency 4 is usually the exact same ram chips as ddr1000 or 1100 running latency 5. You can save money on your ram purchase knowing this. The speeds are interchangable. If you buy ddr800 at latency 4 you can raise it to latency 5 and it will hit 1000-1200mhz. If you buy ddr800 at latency 5 you already have slacked timings and that ram will not make it to 1100. DDr667 @ latency 4 is the same chips as ddr800 at latency 5. You can choose to run either speed in your machine.

Until intel releases cpu's with a 1600mhz fsb any ram over ddr667 will require you to overclock the cpu fsb to get the most potential speed out of it.

Tomshardware can't make up there minds. I've also read articles there about how important latency is to performance. Basically right now I only recommend the lower latency stuff to allow for more headroom on the overclock.

Also when they compared latency 5 and 4 what were the rest of the timings? I bet if you compare ddr800 running 5,5,5,18 with ddr800 running 4,4,3,5 you'll see more than a 1fps difference. They probably compared 5,5,5,15 with 4,4,4,12.

When amd first came out with ddr2 compatible x2 chips they did a comparison with AMD systems. 1 running ddr1 @400mhz 1 running ddr800, identical parts in the rest. There was less than a 2% performance difference between the 2. Why? Because the cpu fsb is the same on both so the ram cannot talk to the cpu any faster.

Nice info about the RAM there layz!

Well I got the RAM & the extension today it's all installed now I just need to get round to turning it on & installing everything which for some reason I'm not in the mood to do right now so I'm putting it off lol

i just got a new computer myself.. 3850 512mb pci-x.. 4 gb 800 ram.. 2.4 quad core e6600.. sata2 drive..

has anyone tried this game on 64 bit vista? i have vista premium right now.. but i have a copy of ultimate if i wanna go the 64 bit route, i can... that way i'll get all of my memory too..

Well I flicked the switch on and during the POST screen I got an error & shat myself lol

Said a new cpu was detected them some shizzle about the motherboard being intruded then it rebooted and everything was fine

Now I'm just installing updates for XP, then I got to go back on my old comp to burn all my essential shizzles to DVD so I can xfer it all over, then I need to get everything how I want it. THEN I can do some OC'ing right now though stock temps for the CPU under a little bit of load is 24 celcius & motherboard is 30 degrees. Not liking my sound card and the fancy stuff it bring at the moment however but I'm sure it's just something I need to get used to having used onboard sound for so long lol Apart from that though it's running like a dream, XP boots up real quick & everything works so I'm happy at the mo!

Well I flicked the switch on and during the POST screen I got an error & shat myself lol

Said a new cpu was detected them some shizzle about the motherboard being intruded then it rebooted and everything was fine

Now I'm just installing updates for XP, then I got to go back on my old comp to burn all my essential shizzles to DVD so I can xfer it all over, then I need to get everything how I want it. THEN I can do some OC'ing right now though stock temps for the CPU under a little bit of load is 24 celcius & motherboard is 30 degrees. Not liking my sound card and the fancy stuff it bring at the moment however but I'm sure it's just something I need to get used to having used onboard sound for so long lol Apart from that though it's running like a dream, XP boots up real quick & everything works so I'm happy at the mo!

Good news.

When you do go to overclock make sure you change your cpu/ram speed divider to 1:1 first or they may call it ddr667 in the bios. I've seen the ram/cpu speed divider represented differently in different bios versions. Sometimes they give you a ratio to change sometime you have to know what your cpu's fsb is made to run with to adjust it right. 1:1 or clock for clock on your machine would be ddr667. They overclock best with matched frequencies on ram and cpu fsb.

It's as if you underclock the ram first and then raise them both together.

Once the ram is set to the same frequency as the cpu fsb you start to raise the fsb number and the ram speed will follow. You should be able to raise it to 400 maybe higher with possibly a slight voltage increase on the cpu to stable it out. 400 is a good goal. You will have your ram running recommended speed (800mhz 400x2 for ddr) and your cpu will be at 3.2ghz. Nothing crazy a modest air cooler can't handle, but surprisingly fast. 3.6 is not uncommon though either for your cpu model especially. The e6750 is supposed to have a good stepping for really high clock speeds. Tom's has had many over 4ghz. Most anything over 3.6 was on a water cooler with pretty high voltage on the cpu. You ram may become unstable with latency 4 settings at 420-430 or so. You can raise the ram's voltage too. My ddr800 sticks run 4,4,3,8 @ 2.2volts. That's stock so I think yours should be able to handle 2.2volts. Don't go any higher than that on the ram though.

You can lower the multiplier if you want to but you can't raise it. A lower multiplier will give you a higher fsb and a lower core speed. If you change your ram's timings to 5,5,5,15 t2 it will probably hit 1000mhz without an issue. That gives you up to 500mhz to play with finding your stable run speed.

I never use the software tools that are coming with MB's now for overclocking. Every one I've tried seems unstable and buggy. I like bios settings. I will load the software tools and only use them to monitor the cpu/MB temps. Don't mess with the clock settings in the software if you've already used the bois to overclock it.

Make sure you're watching the temps with a program in windows. Anything over 60 celcius load and I'd think about backing it off. If it's hitting that in the winter on a clean heat sink you may cook it into resetting when the summer hits and you haven't cleaned it for a while.

Set the warning beeper on your monitoring program and in the bios to 70celcius on the cpu. That way you'll get warning beeps if it every goes over that temp. That's hotter than you ever want it to be. Mine has never seen over 50 degrees even at 3ghz. That Zalman 9500 with arctic silver ceramique isn't bad. Noisy but cool.

Look for a program called orthos/prime95 to do a load test on the cpu. That program will max out both cores to 100% cpu load to really test stability. It runs 5 degrees hotter than 3dmark ever does on my comp.

The soundcard is confusing. I have one. Keep the creative consol in gaming mode and it's pretty simple. Get new drivers from creative. You have to set the recording device to mic in the creative consul to get the mic to work in ts. It has the best sound and direction finding capability of any card I've tried in ww2. You can set it to hardware 128 sounds and it handles it no problem without fps loss.

If you set it to audio creation mode you can enable the pitch shifter effect and max out the reverb. Drag the pitch really low so you sound like satan. Then get on TS and scare your buddies. =) The only thing is I can't get TS to work right with the effects. When in audio creation mode I have to have my mic unmuted via windows controls to make it work in ts. So then I have to listen to it in my headphones weather I have it keyed or not. In gaming mode ts works fine with the windows mic controls muted but the effects only work in audio creation. Still it's fun. Maybe a future driver or update will fix it?

lol well I just shat myself

I tried tinkering with the OC settings and it didn't work right so my comp wouldn't boot up at first then it came up saying OC had failed so it's gone back to standard BIOS default.

I've updated the BIOS as well over the net which was kinda handy with the Asus tools. Going to read some on OC'ing before I give it a real go as right now it confuses the hell outa me

Good news is though CPU right now is at 12 degrees celsius which from my limited knowledge is good and gives me plenty of room for OC'ing

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0