• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
discotec

Opinions on build

61 posts in this topic

lol well I just shat myself

I tried tinkering with the OC settings and it didn't work right so my comp wouldn't boot up at first then it came up saying OC had failed so it's gone back to standard BIOS default.

I've updated the BIOS as well over the net which was kinda handy with the Asus tools. Going to read some on OC'ing before I give it a real go as right now it confuses the hell outa me

Good news is though CPU right now is at 12 degrees celsius which from my limited knowledge is good and gives me plenty of room for OC'ing

12degrees? That can't be reading accurately. The coldest you should see at regular room temps is high 20's at idle. Most people that don't have a nice aftermarket cooler run high 30's/low 40's idle temps.

What settings did you try? Don't change too much at once. Try lowering the ram speed and bumping the voltage on both the cpu and ram a little then reset. Then bump the cpu fsb up to 350 and see if it boots. Then try 360, and so on. Did you try the software tools?, don't.

If you run into a setting that won't boot use the cmos resetting jumper on the MB and it will reset the bios to default settings again.

Make sure in the bois that your ram is set to factory voltage specs. Performance ram needs 2volts or more and default votage for ddr2 if the MB doesn't recognize it correctly is 1.8. It may be at 1.8 ram voltage right now and that's why it didn't want to overclock

I also don't update the bios in windows because I am a semi regular at the abit MB forums and I've seen several posts where bios updates failed and every time it's when it's done in windows. I flash with a floppy still. I'm old school.

12degrees? That can't be reading accurately. The coldest you should see at regular room temps is high 20's at idle. Most people that don't have a nice aftermarket cooler run high 30's/low 40's idle temps.

What settings did you try? Don't change too much at once. Try lowering the ram speed and bumping the voltage on both the cpu and ram a little then reset. Then bump the cpu fsb up to 350 and see if it boots. Then try 360, and so on. Did you try the software tools?, don't.

If you run into a setting that won't boot use the cmos resetting jumper on the MB and it will reset the bios to default settings again.

Make sure in the bois that your ram is set to factory voltage specs. Performance ram needs 2volts or more and default votage for ddr2 if the MB doesn't recognize it correctly is 1.8. It may be at 1.8 ram voltage right now and that's why it didn't want to overclock

Gone to 22 degrees now!

I don't know what I changed it was some FSB setting which I manually put in at 800 lol I changed the ram to 1066 as well as I don't know what I'm supposed to be changing :confused: My mobo has an automatic CMOS reset if the OC doesn't work so I don't need to worry about that. I'll try doing it all properly tomorrow once I've got everything I need transfered over & installed from my old comp it's 3:20am now & I'm too tired to be doing complex stuff like OC'ing lol

Gone to 22 degrees now!

I don't know what I changed it was some FSB setting which I manually put in at 800 lol I changed the ram to 1066 as well as I don't know what I'm supposed to be changing :confused: My mobo has an automatic CMOS reset if the OC doesn't work so I don't need to worry about that. I'll try doing it all properly tomorrow once I've got everything I need transfered over & installed from my old comp it's 3:20am now & I'm too tired to be doing complex stuff like OC'ing lol

800 is way too fast for the cpu fsb. Re-read my post. Even though your box says 1333fsb on the cpu it runs at 333mhz fsb. It won't make it to 800 ever. That's 2.5 times over stock speed. That would be over 5ghz on the core. (800x8=6.4ghz, heheh you tried to boot your comp up at 6.4ghz) Of course it won't boot up. Your multiplier is x8 right. To figure out what core speed you're trying multiply the fsb speed you set x8. So if you try 360fsb that would be 360x8=2.88ghz. I predict you will reach your limit at 390-410 without changing the voltage.

800mhz is what is says for your ram speed simply because it's ddr. It actually runs at 400. You'll get used to it after a while. I think it's confusing on purpose to discourage people.

If you don't change the ram to 667 before you move the cpu fsb number it will become unstable very quickly. That's a must for a good overclock. Don't turn the ram to 1066. Turn it down to 667 and then move the cpu fsb. The ram will follow it.

It's very simple and not nearly as complicated as people think. It's a matter of understanding a few concept along with simple multiplication. Small increases in voltage really increase your temps. Try not to increase it much. Watch your temps. Any 100% load readings over 60 and you're starting to get hot.

Ok set the RAM to 667 then upped the FSB to 400 with 8 x multiplyer now I'm running at 3.2 ghz Ram is running at 800 and MB temp is 40 degrees with CPU at 29 idle

Is this what I was aiming for ? lol

Ok set the RAM to 667 then upped the FSB to 400 with 8 x multiplyer now I'm running at 3.2 ghz Ram is running at 800 and MB temp is 40 degrees with CPU at 29 idle

Is this what I was aiming for ? lol

Sweet!!!

That's exactly what I was talking about. I bet it's a good 30-40% faster than stock in benches now. Nice work.

Intel hasn't even released processors at 3.2 yet. They will any day but you're getting a sneak preview. 1600mhz fsb now on the cpu too.

Your mb temp is a little on the warm side. Set an alarm in your software monitoring program for 50 degrees and keep an eye out for stability problems. Sometimes a slight voltage increase can stable it right out if it gets unstable at 3.2. My guess is you could probably push it a little further so you're most likely well in the safe zone. Especially by the sound of your CPU temps. Those arcticcooling freezer7pro's are the best budget cooler around. It sounds like it's running so cold I would suspect that it's not reading quite right. At 3.2 100% load on the cpu I'd expect to at be least about 45-50 celcius on the cpu.

Not that I want to encourage pushing it you've already achieved a great speed, but I always go until it fails and then back it up 10mhz on the fsb or so to find a stable running speed. You don't know what it will do till you try... hehe. 3.4-4ghz is not unheard of at all.

You may need to make some kind of mod to your MB northbridge to cool it off better like a scabbed on fan or something to get a whole lot higher. It sounds warm. I've threaded mounting screws for fans right into the fins of the heat sink to micky on a fan really quick. If you need more fsb to push your core harder you can slack your memory timings like I described in previous posts. This will buy you memory stability at least up to 500mhz fsb (1000mhz ddr).

I've had mine overclocked to the hilt for a year and a half and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Almost 600mhz over stock?.. not bad... Eat your hearts out AMD fanboys. Try going 600mhz over stock speed without changing voltage on a $20 air cooler with an AMD.

lol I think I'll stick with the 3.2 for now and see how things go.

My room is a heat keeper for some reason even during winter it's like a sauna which could account for the slightly high MB temps, I've set the temp alarms to 60 degrees on the CPU & 50 for the MB just because I'm overtly paranoid about those temps going higher lol

Idle temps right now are 38 for the CPU & 40 for the MB according to coretemp however speedfan reads the CPU temps as 10 degrees lower.

I'm guessing when it says MB it's talking about the Northbridge ? I'll see what can I do about bodging together a make shift cooling system for it as I have spare fans from my old rig I could use!

lol I think I'll stick with the 3.2 for now and see how things go.

My room is a heat keeper for some reason even during winter it's like a sauna which could account for the slightly high MB temps, I've set the temp alarms to 60 degrees on the CPU & 50 for the MB just because I'm overtly paranoid about those temps going higher lol

Idle temps right now are 38 for the CPU & 40 for the MB according to coretemp however speedfan reads the CPU temps as 10 degrees lower.

I'm guessing when it says MB it's talking about the Northbridge ? I'll see what can I do about bodging together a make shift cooling system for it as I have spare fans from my old rig I could use!

The MB temp isn't that bad it's just a little warm. Generally they run a little cooler than the cpu. Mine does. If you aren't going to push it harder you probably won't need to do anything about the NB temp. Yes, that is the NB that the MB temp sensor reads.

The MB temp isn't that bad it's just a little warm. Generally they run a little cooler than the cpu. Mine does. If you aren't going to push it harder you probably won't need to do anything about the NB temp. Yes' date=' that is the NB that the MB temp sensor reads.[/quote']

To be honest I don't think it's even reading the MB temp correct as the CPU keeps fluctuating from 27 to 30 degrees on idle yet the MB has remained at 41 for the past hour :confused:

So' date=' how does a core2duo 4meg cache @ 3.2ghz 1600fsb with an ATI 3870 do in game? Don't leave us in suspense.[/quote']

300+ fps in the air

55+ fps in a town full of people

100+ fps in an air battle

45+ fps flying over a full town of people

That's with everything maxed out in settings! Still get stutters however over towns but it's just for a second while everything loads & not compared to constantly stuttering over a town!

300+ fps in the air

55+ fps in a town full of people

100+ fps in an air battle

45+ fps flying over a full town of people

That's with everything maxed out in settings! Still get stutters however over towns but it's just for a second while everything loads & not compared to constantly stuttering over a town!

I can confidently tell you the stutterings is the game and everyone gets it no matter how nice your machine. You could try dropping off a few settings. Radial clutter off, change minimap to compass, no lock to refresh off, med player limit. That may reduce the flying into a big battle stutters.

I here that the beta is much better (no stutters when diving on attacks), but when I logged in there was not 1 other person on the beta server they wouldn't let me post missions either.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0