Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abidubi

0% improvement in stutters with 1.28

29 posts in this topic

So I really had my hopes up about the stutters being completely gone with 1.28. Well I had a feeling it wasn't from playing on the beta, and I can say for certain that there are not gone at all.

The stutters that I am talking about are when you are flying and dive on a town. When you get to about 900m (when ei start drawing on your vis list) you get mega huge slowdowns (talking slideshow, 1 frame per second for about 3 seconds). No changes with settings effect this. It is the same with low or high vis limits. It has something to do with loading all the ei, but ei shouldn't take anything performance wise to load.

Now I have wondered if it is my system, but I know exactly when this started happening. In 1.24 everything was fine and dandy. You could dive on a fully populated town at 500kph and there would be little to no stutters. It was with the release of 1.25 (the one where everyone complained of mega huge stutters) were it became literally impossible to fly near the ground at any AO. With 1.26 there was a very slight improvement, but nothing has been the same since.

Something happened with 1.25 with respect to ei models, LODs or the vislist that has totally screwed up the game.

dual 1.8G5, 3 Gigs of ram, X800XT 10.4 and 10.5

These were mostly fixed in 128 but it's not 100% all worked out. Currently smoke causes many fps issues. Much of the opengl infrastructure was rewritten but its going to take a but more time to work out all the new bugs.

Expect more releases, this one had to go out before everyone went insane.

you're starting to stretch the limits of that x800. its been a great card for quite awhile but its time to get something new.

I need to keep naging about this.

It is km/h or if you prefer kmph (but that is not following the convention). There are no abbrevation as "kph". That is plain nonesense.

Sorry for the rant. Just need to educate the group so it reach a decent level. ;)

sorry sparre, but here in canada, we say "k" "p" "h" all the time. It's a valide acronym. Kilometers Per Hour.

About the stutters though. Nothing significant changed with 1.25 that would explain needing a new card. Bushes don't make a difference, I get 30 FPS flying on the deck anywhere. Offline antwerp I get 30 FPS flying through the city.

If I could buzz an AO before, why can't I now? Its nothing to do with tanks, they are drawn up higher anyway. It's nothing to do with buildings, and I get higher FPS in towns than I used to. Smoke... not very likely. The only time smoke slows my FPS is if I am standing in it, not if I am more than 10m away. That only leaves inf, and they are only drawn bellow 900m. But if it was like this before 1.25, why do inf all of a sudden cause a slideshow to load when before they did almost nothing at all.

Were not talking 5 years ago here, were talking about 3 patches ago. And were not talking a gradual change either, it was like from the highway to hitting the wall. There is definitely a bug somewhere.

P.S. Getting a new card means getting a new $2000 machine. As good as the 4 core (or 8) 2.8Ghz Xenon with the 8800 looks, it's going to have to wait. And iMacs are a horrible choice for gaming. They are very well designed but in 2 years when a sweet new graphics card comes out, you're stuck.

Im having the samee issue.

imho last patch 1.27.1 is better then this.

Great.

I havent played in months. Been waiting for this patch (was going to play tonight). So no big performance increases??

Great.

I havent played in months. Been waiting for this patch (was going to play tonight). So no big performance increases??

Opps I just noticed I posted in wrong Area. I thought this was PC. But as a PC guy I am having the same issues as you guys

Great.

Well flying or in low pop areas outside of town I get 48-62 FPS. In that same case I had around 34-50 last patch. In towns looking towards the most buildings (no one around) I get about 26-36 FPS, and that goes for big towns like antwerp too. Before it was 19-24.

So yes there has been some improvements, but in fights it's still the same 10-15 FPS that it was last patch. Maybe slightly smoother, but not much better.

And like I said, stutters from diving on a town are just as bad as the last patch (since they tried to fix 1.25 really).

EDIT: Considering my system is 3 years old from when I got it (model it's self is 3.5 years, but the system and processor existed for over 4 years) I'm thinking of buying a new system this spring. Specifically, dropping the 2.5 grand for a quad 2.8 Xeon with 8800gt Mac Pro. Should last me another 3 or so years and I could probably get at least $500 for my current system. I change my mind often :D

There are major performance increases. However it seems to be everywhere but in a large battle area.

Yes, the X800 is not the problem. I think Jaegers code needed more large scale testing (not enough people ever in beta at one time). I think there are still a couple new bugs to be worked out. Sometimes you can only test this sort of thing live to find all the sticky points.

Cool, any improvement at all is good by me. Was going to try it out last night, but the wife got sick, so had to be a good husband.

As long as I can play out in an FB I'm fine for now. Looking forward to checking it out.

AFAIK, the drivers are included with OSX versions, so they should be standard.

OSX 10.5 and 10.4.11

From system profiler:

Model Name: Power Mac G5

Model Identifier: PowerMac7,3

Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (2.2)

Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz

Number Of CPUs: 2

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 900 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7

ATI Radeon X800 XT:

Chipset Model: ATY,R420

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

Slot: SLOT-1

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4a48

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-A35801-109

Displays:

Cinema Display:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display Connector:

I have a similar system to Abidubi, faster processor but less RAM, and I notice *slight* improvements in big-city flyovers and infantry play in crowded cities. Starting with the last few patches, in a big infantry battle I would frequently be at < 5 fps and sometimes would freeze for 1-3 seconds at 0 fps. Same thing when attempting a low-level pass with air, at a specific altitude I could suddenly reach 1 or 0 fps (dropping from 20-30 on the way in) as the friendly infantry became visible. Now, my experience is that I get higher fps (in the 40s or above) at altitude or in the countryside, but my performance in crowded cities is usually in the 5-10fps range. Likewise, I slow down but do not reach 0fps in lowflight over the same city. Not yet quite what one would hope for, but in the right direction.

I'll probably make the Big Switch to Intel and 10.5 soon, but hopefully the slower machines can equally help you figure out what's going on.

System 10.4.11

Machine Name: Power Mac G5

Machine Model: PowerMac7,2

CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 2 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 1 GHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.1.4f0

ATI Radeon X800 XT 250MB

Game settings:

What are your game settings (see wwiiol.xml)?

This is what I was using today (and today only). I just did a full reinstall + wipping any and all wwiiol support files on the computer + complete cleaning of the computer (Using onyx for permission repair, daily weekly and monthly scripts, and wiping all caches... basically everything on the "automation" tab).

My performance was roughly the same as when I use my normal settings. It was a little jerkier than my normal settings, fighting in a small town with a lot of units. The jerkyness is probably due to normal maps, since it seems to add a lot of extra strain on my X800 with so many units. Also, performance under 10.4 and 10.5 are roughly the same minus the sound bug. (I did have mega huge stutters when taking damage in a tank during beta while in 10.5 but not 10.4, can't confirm)

My normal settings (all the time except for this 1, 2 hour session today) are after the line in bold. My comments above were from using my normal settings.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

False

False

True

False

True

True

False

False (I believe this is broken for the Mac client, I can't distinguish any difference between on or off)

(All resolutions perform the exact same under all conditions, except for staring at tons of trees)

True

(I believe 2 is medium, I always have it set to medium)

Important note: I have set ATI displays to 0AA, 0AF and no vsync, but most importantly, performance is set 1 notch left of the middle which doubles my FPS staring at trees (lower setting has no effect on FPS)

Normal maps seem to be a bad thing on the x800, I turn em off. My fps is still really floppy, the highs are better than 127 but the lows are worse. Smoke is still the worst offender. An air crash near me dropped me to 3fps until it was gone.

Well, I finally tried out the new patch today.

zero performance increase. I would say I got a performance decrease.

I must have a setting wrong now or something although I did not change it from before.

Out at a deserted FB (there were two friendly ATGs there) = 5 fps

In a town with other people = 1-3 fps

Before I could at least get 10 at a deserted fb - single digits is unplayable.

iMac PowerPC G5 (3.0)

2 gigs RAM

1.8 Ghz

GeForce FX 5200

VRAM 64

How can I post what my game settings are easily? Is there a place where I can just paste a preference file or something? I may have something turned on, or turned off that is causing this crappy performance (I hope), cause this is decidedly worse than 1.27.

Open the file /Users/awulf/Library/Preferences/ww2ol/wwiiol.xml and just paste it in here. 64MB Vram is the biggest issue, basically we need a 128MB video ram minimum. It can run in 64MB but the swapping is probably a killer. Sadly you can't upgrade that video card. Many of the changes for performance are taking up more space in the video ram which is why a marginal one is hurt even more. iMacs are great except for the non-upgradable video card.

Once I get home from work tonight I will post it. I understand that I am hobbling along at this point with the computer equivalent of an AMC Pacer - I just hope I can tweak a few settings to get a few more miles out of it with this game. TY

Here is my complete info now.

Any recommendations on setting alterations would be appreciated.

iMac PowerPC G5 (3.0)

2 gigs RAM

1.8 Ghz

GeForce FX 5200

VRAM 64

Settings:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Turn off specular and turn on texture reduction.

I will give that a try tonight. TY man.

P.S> anyone else have my exact same machine?

Any ideas on what I can expect?

Another question. I was going to load leopard on my machine (specs above). I saw the Leopard thread at top and it seems some people are having issues with the game and Leopard. Is this a global issue, or should I not worry about it and just install Leopard?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0