Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abidubi

0% improvement in stutters with 1.28

29 posts in this topic

Just for the record, turning off normal maps made no fps/stutter difference on my system (see specs on a previous post)

Just for the record' date=' turning off normal maps made no fps/stutter difference on my system (see specs on a previous post)[/quote']

Same with me, mostly. Normal maps does make a slight difference, but it's not the main cause of stutters. Turning it off just makes it feel slightly smoother. And our vid cards have 256Mb of memory. The old iMac has 64.

About leopard...

- FPS is about the same.

- Sound is screwed up. For instance, if a tank comes into audio range at 2km, you will hear a loud pop, then the sound will play at the regular volume. Rifle fire will often do that too so you can't tell if it is close or far or what direction. MGs do it as well be since they are long sounds you can tell where they are coming from and how far.

- May or may not be some stutters associated with leopard. I remember during the beta getting 1FPS every single time my tank took a hit or when other tanks exploded. When I restarted in tiger, right in the same town same ppl same everything, I had no more stutters related to the above.

My advice, if you have enough space, make a 10 GB partition for Tiger after you install leopard. That way you can restart in tiger whenever you want to play wwiiol or any other programs that don't work well under leopard.

(I find COD2 almost unplayable under leopard, HW2 gets a kind of stutter when you see high LODs, but CIV4 runs much better and without the annoying sound bugs under leopard.)

I saw there was a fix for a blizzard game in 10.5.2. WHo knows, maybe it helps us. Tiger would have older drivers, maybe the newer ones in Leopard are wonky.

There was an fps improvement on people with core 2 duo and core extreme under leopard but not core duo or g5 (ie the 2 computers I have).

I am still *slowly* working on the sound. Apple still hasn't released openal source for leopard (@#$#@$).

On that old imac I'd try leopard but like he said, don't give up on Tiger unless it really helps.

Turn off specular and turn on texture reduction.

didnt do anything.

Still around 1-3 fps. Saw a big spike all the way up to 5 fps for a millisecond once (not sure why).

Well, Im back to OT to wait it out for another couple months.

Gawd I miss the good old days when I could actually play this game. Gotta love "improvements."

I did manage to get a 38T kill with my atr at 3fps though.

It was a pretty sight. Well, a pretty slideshow I should say.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0