Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wizardd

SMOKE KILLING FPS TOTALLY

34 posts in this topic

My PC for the millionth time

Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT 512mb (I sometimes remember it as 7900..)

Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz

2 G RAM 666 MHz (kingston, no errors, memtest done)

Fresh Windows XP Professional install, around 8 hours ago. SP2 installed and all the latest drivers for everything.

WW2OL, EVE Online, firefox are pretty much only software installed in that PC now.

WW2OL and Nvidia settings set to best quality, but water and grass shaders are only ones ON. OpenGL optimization off. Otherwise nvidia settings pretty much default except AA upped to 8x and anisotropic filtering is 8x too. And image quality upped.

So I fly around middle off nowhere and get over 200 FPS. I fly at 4 km over normal or heavy AO, I get around 60-80 FPS. I dive to tall speedtrees or places like Schilde and FPS goes 5-15... In otherwords where ever there is smoke. And then when enemy plane starts smoking ahead of me... FPS goes dramatically down. And when I am really close, FPS is that 5-15.

Here is screenshots from stuka sortie where I got shot by hurricane and my stuka started leaking..

full

full

full

Kinda hard use tailgunner eh? Around 10 FPS when that leak starts. I crashed to ground tonight when I was finishing a Havoc and it started leaking from two engines...

Second image is typical near AO area situation. I get that around 100 FPS and if I look sides or front I get that 60-80 FPS depengin how close to AO I am.

Third image is at ground, stopped. When I looked anywhere else than into that smoke my FPS was 100..........

So, whatta hell is wrong with that smoke?

Ok, anyone who has nvidia and doesn't get FPS frop when looking on smoke from aircrafts, post your settings here so I can compare them.

I think I said "latest drivers" up there.

I have discovered that the latest drivers are often not the best and get a lot of variation between versions of the same driver by the same producer.

cheers

Cavalier

I have discovered that the latest drivers are often not the best and get a lot of variation between versions of the same driver by the same producer.

cheers

Cavalier

Yes and one guy said that Moon is made of cheese!

Come on, don't need anymore myths.

Read the nvidia/ati patch notes and you see whats being done between releases...

Nothing personal cavalier.

Yes and one guy said that Moon is made of cheese!

Come on, don't need anymore myths.

Read the nvidia/ati patch notes and you see whats being done between releases...

Nothing personal cavalier.

well then some would say a better video card would increase your fps.

for example I have an 8800gtx and I don't see the big drop you do. A small drop yes but I'm still pulling 50-60fps at least in smoky environments.

well then some would say a better video card would increase your fps.

for example I have an 8800gtx and I don't see the big drop you do. A small drop yes but I'm still pulling 50-60fps at least in smoky environments.

So pretty much everyone have to buy a 8800gtx in order to use stukas tailgunner. Nice. And my 7950 GT is useless and it isn't even a year when I bought it.

So pretty much everyone have to buy a 8800gtx in order to use stukas tailgunner. Nice. And my 7950 GT is useless and it isn't even a year when I bought it.

well it's less expensive than upgrading your whole system. Hell I can't even play COD4 at full graphics in the woods because the trees kill my fps so bad. I have to turn down the level of detail. WWIIOL is the best FPS of all my latest games actually. That's gaming for ya.

Drop your 8X AA's down to 2x

AA has nothing to do with smoke effect. Can't even apply anti-aliasing on that effect.

well it's less expensive than upgrading your whole system. Hell I can't even play COD4 at full graphics in the woods because the trees kill my fps so bad. I have to turn down the level of detail. WWIIOL is the best FPS of all my latest games actually. That's gaming for ya.

Well why to hell I would upgrade my whole machine? Quad Core?? LOL even 2 cores aren't supported by this game..

The point is that my FPS is fine everywhere else than close smoking areas. And I mean these new smoke effects.

And I want to see screenshots from you 8800gtx guys showing FPS when you're right into enemys six when it's leaking everything.. Or watching with your tailgunner while your stuka is leaking..

Anisotropic filtering 8x

Antialiasing - Gamma correction Off

Antialiasing - Setting 8xS

Antialiasing - Transparency Off

Conformant texture clamp Use Hardware

Error reporting Off

Extension limit Off

Force mipmaps None

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration Multiple display performance mode

Stereo - Display mode Use vertical interlace monitor

Texture filtering - Anisotropic mip filter optimization Off

Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization Off

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias Allow

Threaded optimization Off

Triple buffering Off

Vertical sync Use the 3D application setting

----

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

-

So there is my settings, no normal maps and post render filter ON. Water and grass filters are ON.

Even turning down them all doesn't solve the problem with smoke effect - it kills the FPS to 10. Single smoke source, SINGLE.

Same thing happens when I turn on my engine. Even at offline... Except it stays aroun 30, doesnt go to 10..

And if I see smoke, it goes to 10.. At offline..

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0