Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
utinni

Graphics card goes mental

5 posts in this topic

Have got an ATI 1900XTX 512MB and whenever I start the game it the fan goes absolutely mental like up to full speed, then the game minimises and I get a message about ATI reducing the speed of the card due to overheating.

I checked the card and fan and it's all functioning and clean, and I only get this problem with this game - all others are fine (graphic intense ones too).

Is there some setting I need to change to stop the game brutalising my card? It shouldn't struggle as it's a half decent card and seems to cope with stuff like Stalker etc.

The only graphics settings I have turned down are shadows and clutter both set to off.

Have the latest ATI drivers, and 2 GB RAM.

Any ideas?

Have got an ATI 1900XTX 512MB and whenever I start the game it the fan goes absolutely mental like up to full speed, then the game minimises and I get a message about ATI reducing the speed of the card due to overheating.

I checked the card and fan and it's all functioning and clean, and I only get this problem with this game - all others are fine (graphic intense ones too).

Is there some setting I need to change to stop the game brutalising my card? It shouldn't struggle as it's a half decent card and seems to cope with stuff like Stalker etc.

The only graphics settings I have turned down are shadows and clutter both set to off.

Have the latest ATI drivers, and 2 GB RAM.

Any ideas?

This might sound wrong, but it's just not possible for WWIIOL to make your card hotter than a game like STALKER. WWIIOL is far less taxing on the video card. It doesn't matter if you have everything at maximum in WWIIOL settings, it just would not make your card hotter than STALKER.

That being said, I can only assume there's some kind of bug happening here.

I guess you could try uninstalling your existing drivers and trying a clean install of the latest drivers.

The latest drivers aren't running well in the older ati cards. They're built for gains in the 3800 series of cards. Download catalyst 7.11 from ati that's what I'm using in my x1950pro and it works fine.

Many models don't duct to the outside well. You could run with the side of the case off as an experiment. If it starts running fine you need better airflow in your case. Mount an 80mm or 120mm fan on the side of the case blowing in on the video card.

With ati tray tools you can check you video card's temps. There's another program, I think it's rivatuner, that allows you to set the fan speed. I know ati tray tools is free. I think rivatuner is too.

If nothing else works ati tray tools allows you to adjust your clock speeds. The x1900xt was a really stretched to it's limit card. In it's heyday it was the fastest gaming card out. Sometimes for whatever reason your vram or core is becoming unstable at these maxed out clock speeds. You can back it off 10mhz or so on the ram and core to see if that stables it out. It will make little to no difference in game performance, but it may do the trick.

Did you just install the card or did it work fine for a while? You have the aux power plug connected right?

Thanks for the replies guys, I will post my dxdiag and try the other ideas out when I get home. The card has been in the PC for ages now, a couple of years I think. The game only started doing this with 1.27 as far as I remember - of course this could be when I upgraded from one set of ATI drivers to the next.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0