• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tzulscha

Met the former C.O. of Kampfgruppe "Lindemann"

522 posts in this topic

Them damn boots really tear up a paintjob!

The vehicle is represented fairly early in her career. No hits yet, all the gear is still there. Still new, but just broken in.

101012928ig.jpg

101013020lj.jpg

Inside the turret, in fact everywhere inside a Tiger, it is crowded with things to bash your head or elbow into.

Seatbelts? What are seatbelts?

Ever see one of those PK films that show a Tiger tearing it up through a field or something? Now look inside and imagine the crew hanging on for dear life..

The loader has the most room. Even with his seat folded out of the way he needs as every bit of it to wrestle those heavy shells out of a locker and into the gun.

When crews got a chance, they would transfer shells over to the loaders side locker so that they were always full and ready for action. It was fairly rare to use up all the shells in the loaders side lockers in one combat. Just looking down into the turret gives you an idea how hard it would be to pass ammo from the gunners side lockers in combat..

Commanders seat can also be folded in a number of positions. The backpad folds up to form another step (or you can sit on it with your head just out of the hatch) and the main seat can be raised or lowered or even folded flat to get it out of the way.

The Major said he was quite satisfied with the final result. (more satisfied than me at any rate. ;) )

About 650 hours and more than 5,000 parts about 3/5ths of which were either altered or made from scratch. The worst part is thinking about all the stuff I got wrong or missed altogether because I didn't get some picture until it was too late to go back. A good example: Lindemann was looking at the model a while back and asked "Where is the commanders aerial?" It seems that in Afrika Gruppe Commanders got a long range antenna mounted on the turret roof (well he had one). He couldn't describe it well enough for me to identify it and I couldn't find any pictures of a tank with such a mounting, so, rather than get it wrong, it got left out altogether. I can think of any number of items to dress up the dio that I didn't have time to add. I'll bet I could easily have spent another 40 or 50 hours on this thing.

Wingnuts and stencils and shading and weathering and tools and oil cans AAAIIIIEEEEE!!!!11one

I definately need a break...

101013323ar.jpg

101013524dj.jpg

The Majors sig is just under Killers. I wish I'd had a sharpie...

I KNOW he thinks I am some kind of nutjob computer gamer/geek. The grin on his face when I asked him to autograph my Jen-yoo-wine, 2001 issue WWIIOL box (with my collection of Authentical Rat sigs), was unmistakeable. Hey! Wait a minute...... :D

Ok, now (if I can get my **** in one sock!), I can finish writing the story....

Oh! one more thing, I was going to ask questions while he was there, but the forums were down (He has been reading over my shoulder), I will talk with him again soon and I will ask when I get the chance!

Looks great Tzu.

In respects to your mystery antenna, I have a diecast Tiger that has this. If you would like, Ill get a pic.

:D Thanks Strukt, but it's moot now. I think it was a crow foot antenna in a standard mount actually, just got no photos. Oh well.

The job is done, the customer has taken delivery.

(It wouldn't fit inside the case anyway)

I told him that if ever anything broke on it, I would fix it for as long as he owned it. I'm kinda hoping he does break something so I can have another week or two with it! :)

Next to finish will be the Hindenberg.

Maybe I'll post something in the Hangar........

Well, I have a cousin who was a radio operator on a TBF Avenger in the Pacific, im sure he'd love a model. ;)

And we still want more stories from the Major. :P

Cool.

It'd be nice if there was some way of keeping in touch with the Major.

Of course, it'd be really nice if there was some way to get him to consider a trip to lovely DFW in April.

Too bad there isn't a Tiger somewhere within flatbed distance that the Rats could borrow for a few days and return just slightly used, as a drawing card for Lindemann and player-attendees alike.

One might think that a Tiger owner--museum or private collector--might be interested in getting Lindemann together with their Tiger for some video and authentication interactions.

Just a thought, of course.

Amazing results with the Tiger!

I saw all the pics, read all stuff and etc.

Like the others... What can we say anymore? huh!

I used to make a Tiger a few years ago but I will never touch your skills degree!

It's so pleasant to watch each details, specially the "inside" of the turret! I think I could lost hours and hours by watching this tiger, each detail is a "story" for me!

By the way, the fact that an old man, who was IRL a Tiger Commander during ww2, asked you to build up a tiger.... is just a totally amazing situation IMO!

Do you realize the *luck* you had to have a such meeting with him?

I thought those "things" wouldn't happen.. but it did!

Thank you again,

an admirator ;)

Well, I have a cousin who was a radio operator on a TBF Avenger in the Pacific, im sure he'd love a model. ;)

And we still want more stories from the Major. :P

Tell ya what Strukt, there is a sweet 1/32nd Avenger kit out there by Trumpeter. You buy me the kit, give me a year and I'll build it for yer cousin.... ;)

The Major is doing well. He is planning his trip home probably sometime this spring. His biggest problem (and the reason he didn't go this fall) is the steel pin in his hip which makes it uncomfortable to sit in an airline seat for the 6 or 8 hour flight to Frankfurt from here.

For the rest of you guys, I'm sorry I haven't been able to ask the last batch of questions, but I'll get together with him again in the not too distant future.

Hmm maybe I oughta take a sixpack of good German beer over to his house sometime and lubricate his loquacity.....

He is supposed to drop his interview DVD off for me sometime soon. I'll see if it is possible to make copies available. The interview is stored on the museum computers and they have to burn copies for people that want them. Unfortunately they are damned hard to get hold of (the museum people that is).

Anyway, I plan to take today and finish writing 1942 for you guys so stay tuned! :)

I have been rereading all 20 pages of this trying to figure out what I've already and where I left off telling.

toe21pz8427ma.jpg

I found a TOE for 21st Pz Div that will give a rough idea of the organization.

On December 4th of 1941, Rommel was pulling his forces back from Tobruk to the Gazala line, having decided to cut his losses in the face of determined British forces. By 11 December all his units were back at Gazala except for a few stragglers and some outposts at Bardia and the frontier.

At this time the DAK had only 40 panzers left...

Operation 'Crusader' had ultimately succeeded in its goal of pushing the DAK out of Cyrenaica.

cyrenaicalate428ud.jpg

The Gazala line was weak and and subject to being flanked but the few feeble attempts by the 8th Army to do so were repulsed by 15th Panzer. Rommel therefore decided to pull his forces further back to Mersa Brega and El Agheila as it would be easier to defend and closer to supplies.

On 19 December a convoy arrived at Benghazi with fresh armour and supplies that allowed 15th Panzer to clash with the 22nd Armoured Brigade at El Agheila in two engagements that cost the British 60 tanks.

The opening of 1942 brought a respite for the DAK. Malta was under aerial seige and and when the British concentrated on its defense, more German convoys got through. Lindemann spent much of January refitting his crews. Scrounging for parts became an artform and mechanics and repair crews did amazing things with almost nothing.

On 30 January a new commander was assigned to 21st Panzer. Generalmajor Georg von Bismarck.

The British and Commonwealth forces were building up at Gazala for 'Operation 'Acrobat', an offensive designed to drive the Germans back to Tripoli.

Rommel had other plans and in a series of quick surprise strikes pushed his way back along the coast until by 3 February they occupied positions in Derna once again.

The rest of February all of March and early May was spent by both sides in building up for the next offensive. Rommel was ready first.

By 25 May the DAK had the strength it needed. Official panzer numbers as of 25 May was: 29 PzII, 122 PzIII, 19 PzIV and 4 PzBefWg, for a total of 110 AFVs.

Tell ya what Strukt' date=' there is a sweet 1/32nd Avenger kit out there by Trumpeter. You buy me the kit, give me a year and I'll build it for yer cousin.... ;)[/quote']

Deal ;)

The interview is stored on the museum computers and they have to burn copies for people that want them.

Put me down for one when they become avail. :D

As usual, thx Tzu.

I just happened upon this thread yesterday and I'd like to thank you, Tzu and the Maj. for sharing so much with all of us. I was a great read and definitely something special to happen upon here in the forums. Please post if you get a hold of those dvd's I'm sure that there are a number of us that would love one. Perhaps you can make a deal with the museum.

One day I'll actually finish writing this..... Soon....

I will take orders for the DVD, although I haven't seen it yet myself. Lindemann is making himself scarce, though I hope to see him again soon.

I'm not quite sure how this will work. The Museum has to burn copies and I don't really wanna hack their work so I will have to see what they want for copies.

Maybe I could just buy ten copies for you guys and see who wants 'em.

Let me get my copy first and see how the museum wants to do this.

(heh, the flight engineer for 'Aluminum Overcast' stopped in this morning, maybe I should do a B-17 next.. ;) Nah, I think I'll keep working on my LeO model for now... sacrifice to the Rat Gods)

Over the past two days I've read this entire thread, hanging on every word. You're lucky Tzu, to have met such a friend. Very impressive work on the Tiger and the diorama too.

Just have two questions, firstly, what was his opinion of the rest of the wehrmacht. You've described his distaste for the SS, but what did he think of the rest of the army (or air force for that matter)?

Secondly, what were some of his most memorable moments of the WWII period?

Thanks for sharing everything you've come across, and thank Major Lindemann for tolerating the constant questions from us Gamers ;)

EDIT: Have you shown him the ingame Tiger?

All I can says is Awesome !

Great thread, you are so lucky to have the Modeling talents you have and to have the major as a friend.

I wish i could fly up and visit.

Did I read that the major has some dvds ?

Where can one purchase copies

Thanks

Cole1a

Tzu, I just found this thread and like everyone else couldn't stop reading. My brother-in-law lives in Kalamazoo (right down from the Kalamazoo Air Zoo) and I get there two or three times a year (I live in Findlay, Ohio not too far away). What is the name and address of your shop. I'd love to meet you and check out your other models. Your work is terrific! If you don't want to post that info, my email is jck2@aol.com .

Jeeze, you did one hell of a job m8, congratz, and take a break now :)

Glad to see the major is still is good health too :)

Thanks for the comments guys!

I have GOT to get off my dead butt and finish writing this.

I kind of expected when it got shifted over to this forum that it would fade to obscurity.

Can't beleive there are still people reading it!

I'd really like some more time with that diorama, I still have a bunch of goodies I'd like to add to it...

For those that asked, I run Riders Hobby Shop at 2055 28th st se in Grand Rapids Michigan.

If you wander in, ask for Q (thats me), mention WWIIOL and I'll give you a discount (and probably bore you to death talking about WWII or modeling!)

As for the DVDs, Lindemann said he would pick me up a copy when he got a chance but I haven't actually seen him since he picked up the model.

I will announce them when I get my sticky hands on a copy.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0