• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tzulscha

Met the former C.O. of Kampfgruppe "Lindemann"

522 posts in this topic

I'm assuming this is some sort of game you're talking about. If so' date=' which one?[/quote']

It's Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday

This thread is the best on any forum on the internet, ever. Sounds like you haven't been in touch with Lindemann, and I'm probably to late for an answer, but if you do happen to speak to him again I was wondering if you could ask a couple questions. How much did he deal with working with the Italians, and what where his experience with them? I know the general opinion of them is bad but from someone actually on the front did he and the rest of his guys view them as a help or hindrance. I'm not talking about the Italian higher ups I'm talking about the grunts. How disciplined where they, or lack of discipline. Also what were his opinions on the Italian equipment was any of it even close to serviceable.

Thanks tzulscha S!

Fantastic looking model and many thanks for cultivating your friendship with Herr Lindemann and taking the time to answer questions on behalf of the community. I've just read the posts and agree that this is one of the best threads I've ever read :)

Kudos and all the best for the future.

pops up cause it was a good read. Love history and it is better when you talk to someone that lived thru the history, I ran my dad ragged whiel he was alive about ww2 and his time at bastogne and in trier, two towns we capture in game he captured for real.. HAve his Purple heart next to PC while i play ww2ol

Well, well.

An excuse/motivation to add to the ol' thread.

When I handed the Tiger over to Lindemann, I wasn't really done with it.

(There are always more fiddly bits to add).

I told him at the time that I would provide lifetime repairs (in the hopes that he'd break something small so I could work on it some more).

Lo and behold, when I get back from the Atlanta MiniCon here sits the Tiger.

His wife dropped it. (He claims)

Damage is not too bad, some missing parts, but it means I get my mitts back on it. :D

Hopefully this will mean that I can ask questions again and maybe complete his history....

Awesome thread. I don't know how I missed it the first time. I guess I used to spend all my time back then playing the game instead of lurking in OT.

Just rereading this thread now as the Major has come back to have his diorama repaired.

Tzulscha, one thing I just noticed. Initially in the thread, you had mentioned the Major's tank was 112 but I see now you made the model tank 111. How come?

10101133ij.jpg

Just rereading this thread now as the Major has come back to have his diorama repaired.

Tzulscha, one thing I just noticed. Initially in the thread, you had mentioned the Major's tank was 112 but I see now you made the model tank 111. How come?

10101133ij.jpg

Something I found as I interviewed the Major is that he makes mistakes in some of his statements.

Most of the time I wound up asking him more than once. Just to make sure.

When I first asked about the ID number he told me 112, I believe that he was thinking of an earlier tank (possibly a Pz IV).

There are errors in the model but mostly very minor (DAK badge in the wrong place, no commanders antenna or radio because he didn't think of it until the model was done, etc.)

Now I'll have time to put the stencils and stuff in too!

Finish the weathering, add more junk, use the miniature toolbox I made...

Okay.

Still no pics (I need a new camera), but I spent some time talking to the Major this afternoon and I have a few answers for those who have asked...

Klesh; Basically he said that his flying class was simply packed up wholesale and sent to the Armour school. (I forgot to ask where, but I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread...)

As an officer his training was a bit accelerated over the regular crews, so while he started out driving he was quickly trained in other positions until it was felt that he was qualified as a commander.

So he was (as an officer) already chosen to be a panzer commander.

Assignments were made as and when crews were needed.

When he arrived in Nord Afrika, Lindemann was already a Hauptmann.

(family might have helped in promotions)

Steady success lead to steady promotion letting him finish the war as a Major.

His last promotion was just after Kasserine.

As far as favorite targets...

He said that they liked to see softskins since they were both an easy target and (if they could be taken without too much damage) a source of supplies (fuel, food and water).

He said that the Grant/Lees were nasty to face because of that 75mm gun but that they were too tall to hide effectively, so they were easy to spot.

Shermans came as a nasty surprise and if you were in a Pz IV or III you had to do your best to get a flanking shot on them.

When the Americans showed up, thier equipment was still painted OD green and they were easy to see.

The Americans were as green as their armour too. He said that there was one encounter (Kasserine?) where he had 3 or 4 Shermans simply charge the German position across an open plain.

They were kicking up so much dust that they couldn't even see each other and the Tigers had no problems picking them off before they knew what was happening.

Unfortunately he couldn't remember what he killed the most of (Softskins didn't count as kills) but early on it was the Brits, so Valentines, Crusaders, Stuarts and Matildas would have been on the list. When the Americans came in it was Shermans and Stuarts...

Stuarts were the hardest to hit btw, IF they were moving... ;)

BlackDragon;

Lindemann said that he was first assigned to the Pz III, moved to the PzIV and was picked for the Tiger because of his experience and the skill of his crew.

Senior crews were allowed first pick of new vehicles.

Wherever possible commanders were allowed to pick their own crews although if you had casualties you got whoever was available as a replacement.

He never saw the Royal Tiger until after the war but he thought that they were impressive, if only Germany hadn't been so low on fuel at the end...

Volcol;

Only the 11th Hussars operated DACs in North Africa. Lindemann said that you saw them once in a while but usually at a distance and he never fired at one.

Earlier in the thread, someone asked about the effectiveness of the 2lber gun and Lindemann said that the 'little popguns' didn't worry Tiger crews too much.

2lber crews would shoot at your tracks though since they knew that that was about the only way to stop a Tiger (flanking shots are hard to get with a ATG), I assume that the DAC crews were more worried about gathering intel than trying to take on a Tiger...

I think that's it for this time around.

I told Lindemann that it would take a while to fix his Tiger since I have a couple other projects to finish before I get back to him, so I should have plenty of time for questions from you guys!

Ask away! :D

Great Thread...and very very nice/ kind/great of you Tzulscha to ask peoples questions

TWO THUMBS UP :)

Would Major Lindemann be interested in signing pictures of himself for us? Find a great pic, get it printed at CVS and I would send $$ in a heartbeat. Hell, maybe the Major could even make a few bucks himself!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0