Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tzulscha

Met the former C.O. of Kampfgruppe "Lindemann"

521 posts in this topic

Tzulscha "makes me wonder how many of them were POWs here and just stayed after the war"

More than a few. Father of a good buddy used to know one guy in Western Mass., German infantry, turned U.S. farmer, who said he was treated better by us as a POW than by his own army when he was doing his duty.

I been some time now and it should be near complete now. I want to see how far it has come and know how the guy is doing :o

I run a hobby shop here in Michigan and an older gentleman wandered in today looking for a model of a Tiger I. He didn't want to build a kit but was very interested in the 1/16th Tiger I by Tamiya (until I showed him the price tag). After chatting with him a bit I asked what he knew about Tigers and he announced that he had been in command of the 2 companies of Tigers that had fought at Kasserine pass! His name is (Maj) Gerd Lindemann, which sounded very familiar. I asked and he said "Oh you've probably heard of my uncle, Kapitan zur Zee Lindemann, Captain of the Bismarck." :shock:

OMG!!!111 I love this job where history walks in off the street and talks to me!

Long story short, he told a couple of stories and answered some questions and commissioned me to build a model of his Tiger I ausf E for his mantel. He said he would bring in some photos for reference and told me that if I wanted to talk history I should drop by.

He is currently associated with a Military museum project we have going out at our Airport and lives locally. He seems very freindly and more than willing to talk about the war. (Possibly because he was captured with Schwere Panzerabteilung 501 on May 12 1943, so he missed Russia and all the associated horrors of the Ostfront.)

If any of you guys have any questions about Tigers (he also drove PzIII and PzIV) I will make a list to ask him the next time I see him.

Bear in mind that the guy is in his late eighties, has been in the States since '43 and probably won't have a lot of technical data at hand (tho you never know).

(Oh, Ok, I will try to get a pic with the WWIIOL box)

take a look at bovington tank museum tiger in uk loads of info was captured in north africa has just been restored in uk in running order, take a look on bovington tank museum web sight

If you ever speak to the Major again I would like to hear his account of the Italian troops that fought along side him.

If you ever speak to the Major again I would like to hear his account of the Italian troops that fought along side him.

I'm sure his response would simply be laughter.

Epic thread btw! :cool:

I'm sure his response would simply be laughter.

Epic thread btw! :cool:

While I can't say for this individual...I do know from first hand accounts I've read that those who fought alongside the Italians in NA were impressed with their elan and pitying in their regard for the inferior/obsolete equipment such brave soldiers were stuck with. At least those key Italian armor and motorized units without which the Afrika Korps would not have had as much success.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0