Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tzulscha

Met the former C.O. of Kampfgruppe "Lindemann"

522 posts in this topic

Ditto Adlers offer. We have a gathering twice sometimes thrice a year in Lincoln Park, just 10miles south of Detroit. It was primarily an Axis squad gathering at first, but since weve met so many cool Allied players locally (who knew? lol) its basically an open invite.

This next one, is the last weekend in July I do believe. We start friday and end sunday, grill available and usually a keg of good ole woodchuck cider.

Would love to meet him and we would definitely spring for travel/hotel room costs if I have to take it out of Adlers pocket myself!

u will find all Information from sPzAbt.501 in Book "Tiger in Combat I" ISBN 3-935107-01-3

Its in german Language but i think its aviable in english too.

Many Coler Drawings from the Tigers, Camouflage, etc etc

AfterAction Reports from Major Lüder, Commanding Officer from sPzAbt.501 in Afrika, in the Books from Thomas L. Jentz

Die deutsche Panzertruppe Vol.2 and in "TigerI und II"

if u need Drawings from Tiger-Tanks sPzAbt.501, i can scan it for u.

ede,

I have several book and Original Docs for the Tiger. thnx anyways.

only lacking atm is the usage of the Schernfernrohr in the Tiger.

u will find all Information from sPzAbt.501 in Book "Tiger in Combat I" ISBN 3-935107-01-3

Its in german Language but i think its aviable in english too.

Many Coler Drawings from the Tigers, Camouflage, etc etc

AfterAction Reports from Major Lüder, Commanding Officer from sPzAbt.501 in Afrika, in the Books from Thomas L. Jentz

Die deutsche Panzertruppe Vol.2 and in "TigerI und II" if u need Drawings from Tiger-Tanks sPzAbt.501, i can scan it for u.

These books are avilable in english. FWIW there is a Tiger not too far from where I live, parked on an Army base. It is a late model. I can get images or measurements if anyone needs them.

Can you ask if he'd commit to speaking at next years Con in Fort Worth ?

kblitz,

the Fitting for the Scherenfernrohr was for sure in the Drum style Copula. I have detailed drawings and schematics of it in Spielberger's books. I don't know for the later copula, which was introduced in June-July '42.

the fitting (Halterung) was sort of a 20cm long horizontal arm, that could be move left or right; One side was connected to the undersite of the copula and and the other end youu could place the Scherenfernrohr on it. It's the Scherenfernrohr 14.

some info on the optics here:

http://home.arcor.de/thuernagel/sf14.htm

CC silencez, is the fitting INSIDE the cupola? If it is outside at what point on the cupola exterior? 12 oclock? 3? 6? I need to get up there anyway to find satchel points on that beast. I will take images when I do, but the glacis is pretty bugly on this Tiger-a few penetrations happened there.

it's inside. the point where the arm connect to the copula is underside of the copula at +- 1oclock.

I could scan in some diagrams and send them to you if you like.

Don't bother. Getting inside the vehicle may be very difficult. I will need to talk with the Museum people for that.

Incredible this is...

My Grandfather was a gunner in a Greyhound Armored Car, he fought in Italy, Sicily, France, and was wounded in a mortar barrage just prior to the Ardennes offensive...

Anway, I have a few questions.

1. How was the Tigers turret traverse rate compared to the Pz III and IV? Greatly slower? About the same?

2. How much noise did the turret traversing in the tiger actually make? Was it significantly different from the III or IV models.

3. Did most Pz commanders have some sort of SMG(ie MP40) near the commanders hatch? How did they deal with close in assaulting enemy infantry?

4. Does he have any knowledge on actual ammo loadouts for the Sturmgeschutz? I've read several accounts in the Book Panzer Aces II, Sepp Brandner telling of loading out 120 rounds(both AP and HE) for the Stug on several occasions...

I've always thought the Stug loadouts in game, in both the IIIB and IIIG were way too light, when compared to what I've read in several books.

Hope CRS is keeping an eye on this post... great source of info.

Sorry to take so long between replies guys. I hope to see Herr Lindemann again this Wednesday (June 15) and I will ask some more off this list of (rapidly growing) questions.

A few more answers for you guys,

Turret number on his Tiger was 112, he doesn't remember the werknummer but I have narrowed it down to one of 25 hulls built in Nov 42. I am trying to get the everything on his model as correct as possible so I am nagging him with detail questions. He pointed out that every Tiger that came off the ships was different and as soon as the crews got hold of them they started modifiying them even more. (Different tool holders, water can holders, extra fuel drum mounts etc. etc)

Maj. Lindemanns Tiger also carried 75 kill rings on the gun barrel, 7 ten kill rings and 5 one kill rings, all armour kills. When I asked him about that he looked a little sheepish and said "Well it's not something I would brag about but...."

Contruction on the model proceeds slowly (individual track links and track pins in metal anyone?) and I am kit bashing 3 different kits together to get the details I want. I hope to post some pics tomorrow.

Unfortunatley for me, my hopes for personal pics were dashed. I asked him if he had any souvenirs or photos and it seems that all that stuff was collected from him by his captors. Damn!

I will ask him about personal appearances but you have to remember this guy is in his mid 80's and his wife flat refuses to even talk about the war (I think she was there when the Russians came). He is doing a speaking engagement for me as payment for his model (though I told him I would do it for nothing in honour of his experiences). Still, we have nothing to lose by asking!

On a slightly different note we had Tex Hill and some of the other surviving Flying Tigers at our Air museum today (Saturday). Wouldn't you know it, I'm stuck here at work! :P

I've got a question =)

If his tank was ever hit by a projectile with the the top hatch open, how did it feel compared to having it closed?

During my tank training I heard that if you had the hatch closed the pressure of a penetrating projectile could sort of mash the crew. I doubt their shots traveld at 1400 m/s and I doubt it's true but I'd still like to know if there is any difference.

I'm curious what he thinks about WWIIOL and what he would think about attending a launch convention for the NA theater.

10101171vh.jpg

I am crosskitting two different models. a very eary model and an early mid production kit to get the correct details. You might notice the grey turret has no escape hatch, only a pistol port. The white strips represent the strapping welded inside the turret to mount equipment on. (much easier than drilling into armour plate!)

10101138yt.jpg

The track is by Friulmodelismo and is individual metal links and pins. The top track has been chemically treated with "Blacken It" to give that black iron look.

10101180pm.jpg

I believe this will be the turret we get on our ingame Tiger. It will almost certainly be very similiar. There is stowage for two MG42 with LOTS of ammo and one bipod, and right next to the escape hatch is a clip holding an MP38 Schmiesser

tiger501rear8wn.jpg

It is possible that this is Lindemanns Tiger. The details match decriptions, and the turret number is certainly 11-something. I will show it to Herr Lindemann.

10101098le.jpg

Major Lindemann himself. I told him to smile and say 'Matilda'!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0