Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tzulscha

Met the former C.O. of Kampfgruppe "Lindemann"

522 posts in this topic

Why don't we put together a collection of pics that he may be able to comment on. Pics of him and his unit and anything else he may be able to comment on.

Sorry Strukt, missed your link.

It has the correct turret number, but I think he mentioned spare tracks being stowed on both the hull front and turret sides. Again, I will show it to him.

Sorry Strukt, missed your link.

It has the correct turret number, but I think he mentioned spare tracks being stowed on both the hull front and turret sides. Again, I will show it to him.

Nah Tzu, just wanted your opinion on that pic, I understand you can not bombard Maj Lindemann with 40 questions each time you talk to him.

Tracks look good btw.

tiger501rear8wn.jpg

It is possible that this is Lindemanns Tiger. The details match decriptions, and the turret number is certainly 11-something. I will show it to Herr Lindemann.

Note that this photo is showing improvised heat shields for the mufflers at rear. That would be a telling detail feature.

The other pic I found [which strukt is claiming as 'his' :-P ] with the 112 tiger has it fitted with the fiefel air filters, making it an early model for sure. Depending on when it was taken, he may or may not've had the tracks added on yet.

One of my Jentz references states that in February of 1942 schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501 was incorporated into Panzer-Regiment 7 of the 10.Panzer-Division. The 1.Kompanie/schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501 was renumbered as the 7.Kompanie/Panzer-Regiment 7, and their Tigers numbers started being in the 700 range. (Jentz, Tigers at the Front, page 15.)

If he was in 1.Kompanie then he should've been switched into 7.Kompanie and had his Tiger renumbered. Hmmm.

Those are the early factory shields, which are correct for Lindemanns Tiger. The first shields are easily recognizable because the field made stuff was flat folded sheetmetal. The reason behind them (for those who didn't already know) was that those exhaust pipes got so hot that they would actually GLOW red, making it really easy to see them at night.

Oh, whoever asked me if they worried about sappers, yes they did, at least the designers did, which is why they had pistol ports on the back of the turret as well as the 'S-Mine' launchers. Not the smoke candles, but an anti-personnel device which threw a fragmentation round out about 25 feet for an airburst. Lindemann sasid they had little use for those or the smoke candles and mostly dismounted them or never reloaded them. I have heard stories of the smoke candle launchers being hit by small arms fire and going off which incapacited the crew temporarily. They also got mashed pretty easily since they were just made from sheet metal.

I would kinda like to see smoke launchers ingame though, mighta saved my butt more than once....

I also have a friend here at the shop whose father was a flamethrower at Iwo Jima. (He doesn't like to talk about it too much but I am trying to persuade him.)

Eh would you like talking about how Burning Human flesh Smells like and the screams of burning ppl???

:roll:

Those are the early factory shields' date=' which are correct for Lindemanns Tiger. The first shields are easily recognizable because the field made stuff was flat folded sheetmetal.[/quote']

Odd, Jentz claims they are improvised. (Tigers at the Front, page 10). Its actually the very same picture, and the caption reads:

Improvised heat guards surround the exhaust mufflers on one of two Tigers in the 1.Zug (platoon) of the 1.Kompanie of schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501.

The other pic I found [which strukt is claiming as 'his' :-P ]

I found it fair and square, from the link you provided thank you. 8)

That is all.

That is awesome m8. :D

Meeting a German panzer commander would make me go crazy...just because they can be so cool ;)

Lucky man...

I also have a friend here at the shop whose father was a flamethrower at Iwo Jima. (He doesn't like to talk about it too much but I am trying to persuade him.)

Eh would you like talking about how Burning Human flesh Smells like and the screams of burning ppl???

:roll:

Well, he is first of all a United States Marine, second he is the last survivor of his battalion. I think those other marines deserve to have their story told by someone who was actually there rather than by some history channel special. The good stuff as well as the bad stuff. Yes he went through hell. Show me anyone who saw combat who didn't....

He is interested in hearing Herr Lindemanns story, and said that he thought he might be willing to answer questions. If he doesn't feel like talking I would never push the man. He has had enough nightmares.

These men are the last few remnants of the most turbulent period in world history. We need to learn from them before they are gone.

"These men are the last few remnants of the most turbulent period in world history. We need to learn from them before they are gone".

That right there says it all. You would have thought that within 60 years we would have.

This is absolytely awesome!

If he came to next year's con I would so come!

Remember to ask him about the RPM question someone asked earlier?

Cheers,

Addy

This is a very facinating thread..

Ask him about tank cannons being "degunned", how fragile where they? Was it even a worry?

Did they constantly worry about Allied air? Where the afraid of being straffed while in a tank?

How hard/easy was it to loose a track and/or track wheels during combat and what sort of forces where required? IE would a 20mm do it? or we talking 37mm and above?

OH and when he was captured, was he and his men treated well?

Thanks and give my regards to him...

Sorry guys, I had hoped to have a few more answers for ya'll today.

Herr Lindemann has just had some eye surgery done. Nothing serious and he is doing well but I didn't want to bug him until he is feeling a bit better.

I have actually written down all the questions you guys have asked and I will ask him as soon as I get the chance.

Sorry guys, I had hoped to have a few more answers for ya'll today.

Herr Lindemann has just had some eye surgery done. Nothing serious and he is doing well but I didn't want to bug him until he is feeling a bit better.

I have actually written down all the questions you guys have asked and I will ask him as soon� as I get the chance.

Good to hear Tzulscha

tzulscha, do you have minidisc with recording? If not, buy one asap and do real good interview of this man for the next generation. Virtual pilots here in Finland are doing execlent job for interviewing and documenting our war time pilots stories.

These men who fought the war don't get any younger and when they pass away their memories pass away too.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0