Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VOLCOL

Getting a new graphics card

48 posts in this topic

OK i run the game atm on an 8600. and on full/low graphics only hit 30 FPS (which often drops)

I have quad core proccessor

2GB DDR3 RAM

A pretty up to date system...

i was wondering if an 8800GT 512mb card would help

all else is fine to my understanding and i run the game on vista.

please post any tips - im not computer litterate so no fancy words ok ;P

have a look at how the 9600gt compares

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-093-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=356

for £104, about £25 cheaper than the 8800gt

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-071-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1008

of course the other option is the ati 3870xt at £112

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-078-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=416

those are the 3 cards im looking at for my next build (with luck later this month). As i understand it, the 9600 performs similarly to the 3870 - with filters on the nvidia is better, with filters off the ati moves ahead. the 9600 is new so may have a price effect on the other cards in the next few weeks.

I personally would be interested in the opinions of others on these as atm im undecided between them myself

I just bought a 9600GT, had a 8600GTS

I can recomend the 9600GT, good performance for a low buck

Its nice to OC too

Two solid choices from Nvidia right this minute:

8800GTS 512mb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130312

8800GT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

Both are solid cards, and I can vouch for the 8800GT. I'm using it and I'm very happy with it.

9600GT is a good value, but just below both the 8800GT and GTS 512mb in performance.

It might be a good idea to wait and see what the 9800GX2 and 9800GTX are like if you're interested in paying for high-end, but the first leaked benchmarks are disappointing so far...

I am looking to bu from UK based stores... due to the fact i live five minutes away from cclonline main store im hoping to get from there... max price range is $375 (about £180).

So 8800 or 9600? plz keep suggesting

The 8800gt is faster than the 9600gt and they are so close in price I would go with the 8800gt.

The 8800 has more texture units. This translates to better video crunching power in intense applications and high resolution graphics with multi pass filtering.

Simply put, only get the 9600gt if you need to save the money. The 8800gt is better in every way sometimes as much as 20% depending on the application. The 9600gt fills a nice gap that previously ATI's 3850 was ruling, the $150-200 price range.

9600gt3.png

9600gt2.png

layzboy, can you dig up anything showing a comparison between the 8800 GTS 512 running in a PCIE 1.5 bus and a PCIE 2.0 bus ?. the ads claim a doubling of bandwidth (8GB/sec to 16GB/sec) through the bus with PCIE 2.0.

The spec chart at the nvidia website has the 512 putting out 2.4 billion more pixels per second than the GTX Ultra,despite having nearly half the memory bandwidth (103.7 vs. 64), and im betting they ran the test with the full 16GB/sec flow through the PCIE 2.0 bus.

I'll check it out later but to my knowledge nothing has yet maxed out the pci express 16x slot.

So, neither card would run faster on a 2.0 slot compared with a x16.

The 8800gts (512meg G92 core only) compares to the ultra because even though it has less memory bandwidth it runs higher clock speeds and has a more efficient design and gpu.

8800 GT has had a long running history of serious problems with vista.

I would highly recommend a 3870 HD ATI card for the same performance as an 8800GTS, cheaper cost, and stable operation.

Lol, can not make my mind up... I am looking for something to give me more than 30 FPS lol - i know those cards will do it, then they clash with vista etc....

The 3870 is a solid choice. I've seen them as low as $189 now that the 9600gt is out. It actually beats out the 9600gt and even the 8800gt in some apps. It depends on the game because quite a few are optimized for nvidia. The ATI cards happen to do well at COD4 among others.

I'm glad to see another ATI fan around. I've run nothing but ATI in my own machines since 2000 and I've always been happy. Every one of them still runs too.

AIW rage 128 pro 32meg

AIW radeon 8500DV 64meg

9700pro 128meg

AIW x800xt 256meg

x1950pro 512meg

The question is will the ATI card thingy handle wwiionline better than an 8600... im not so fussed about other games, this is 90% of my play time ;)

The question is will the ATI card thingy handle wwiionline better than an 8600... im not so fussed about other games' date=' this is 90% of my play time ;)[/quote']

The ATI HD3870 will totally stomp the 8600. It's comparable to a 9600gt or even the 8800gt in some applications.

It's a great card. These forums are very anti-ATI. I can tell you from experience they're great cards.

Find the 8600 and the ATI 3870 on this chart. You'll see the 3870 right near the top, 4th card down. The 8600 is way down below the middle of the chart, just to give you an idea of the performance difference between the two cards.

doom3bench.png

Sweet jesus - this is half a dozen of one and 6 of the other... cannot decide - i'll ask the guy who helped me build it - he gets paid 60k a year to work with computer, knows his stuff

Check out my last post. We posted at almost the same time and you bumped it to the previous page.

I know quite a few computer "experts" who do it for a living. They might know software and know how to work on computers, but most of them don't really know cutting edge gaming hardware well at all. I have computer experts in my squad that don't.

The fact that he got you ddr3 memory and an 8600 video card makes me wonder. Someone who knew their stuff would have known that it's not worth getting and ddr2 actually performs about the same right now with it's lower latency for a lot less money. Current cpu fsb settings can't near keep up with ddr3 yet. The price is outrageous last I looked.

The 8600 was never a good card to buy for gaming either.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0