Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VOLCOL

Getting a new graphics card

48 posts in this topic

I was on a budget back then, and "went on the cheap", it handles other games relatively well, just this game poorly . do you have a chart for wwiionline?

I wish. WW2 won't put out a benchmark. Doom3 should be a good comparison. It's another older openGL game. It's a better comparison to ww2 performance than the other games they have in benchmarks lately like crysis. Performance in oblivion or crysis doesn't have a good reflection on what a card will run like in ww2ol.

Unfortunately this game has some performance problems of it's own. No matter how fast your system is, when you get into a big battle right inside of a town your fps drops down to 40 or so. Ask people that run overclock core2duo's with 8800ultra's. Way over 100fps, even 200+ everywhere except diving in on big battles or being right in the thick of it in town. It will still drop you down to the 30-50 range no matter what hardware right now.

Of course 30-50 is totally smooth and playable so most people don't mind. People with lesser than an upper end rig are dropping to choppy 10-20 fps in big battles. That's why you see the performance complaints and people wanting to build new systems.

Don't worry about what the fps number is in the corner if the game is playable all the time. The 3870 can easily accomplish that. So can an 8800. Personally I've never heard of vista problems with 8800's.

I was on a budget back then' date=' and "went on the cheap", it handles other games relatively well, just this game poorly . do you have a chart for wwiionline?[/quote']

If I was building a rig for you and you were "on a budget". I would have got an upper end dual core processor, ddr2 memory, and teamed that up with good video card like an 8800gt or a 3870. If you did that right now you wouldn't be wanting an upgrade and you would have spent about the same amount of money on the rig in the first place. You'd save money on the MB too because ddr2 boards are a little cheaper than ddr3.

Quads don't game any better than dual cores of the same clock speed, when you're comparing intel to intel. A Quad core/ddr3 rig is not a budget rig. It was a little foolish to spend so much on the core parts and then cheap out on the video card.

I can attest to 3870 running the game perfect also quad core is useless for this game even dual core is useless as even though you can set affinity for this game to use both cores it still only uses the one core & only uses 50% of the power on one core according to my G15 cpu/ram monitor read out

lol Stop making **** up.

5 billion posts on 8800 problems:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=33

NVIDIA statement on TDR Error Messages

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=31913

Some Windows Vista users have reported that their systems are displaying an error message that says: "Display driver stopped responding, but has successfully recovered." This is called a Timeout Detection and Recovery error message.

Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) is a new feature of Windows Vista that attempts to detect problematic situations and recover to a functional desktop without forcing a reboot. Hangs can occur when the GPU is processing intensive graphics operations, typically during gameplay, and nothing is being updated on the monitor. To the user it appears that the system is frozen with no resolution to the problem; in previous operating systems users generally had to wait a few seconds and then reboot.

The TDR error message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" lets the user know that the NVIDIA display driver (specifically the "nvlddmkm.sys" file) has been re-initialized and the GPU is reset without requiring a reboot. The only visible artifact from the recovery is a screen flicker, the result of a screen redraw. Note that some older Microsoft DirectX applications may render to a black screen at the end of the TDR, requiring the user to restart these applications.

TDRs are not specific to a single driver problem, and can occur for a variety of reasons. When they occur, diagnostic information is collected in the form of a debug report that is sent to Microsoft through the Online Crash Analysis (OCA) mechanism if the user opts to provide feedback.

NVIDIA encourages users to submit their own bug reports via the NVIDIA Vista Quality Assurance Program, using the keyword "TDR" in the description of the problem. The NVIDIA bug report link is here:

https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=749...8f09e040b4a437a

We understand that many users have expressed frustration with this issue, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Since the NVIDIA v101.41 beta driver release, NVIDIA has been fixing many TDR issues reported by users. Our software team is currently preparing a new driver which will dramatically reduce the number of TDR errors that users have reported on the forums. Thank you for your patience.

More information on TDRs can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/displ...dm_timeout.mspx.

As of the latest driver release, there are still a significant number of people reporting issues with the 8800 and vista.

Oh and Nvidia's statement is misleading.

It causes an error message to pop up and the system to hard lock, not just a "screen flicker".

My friend had to dump his 8800 due to these very issues and buy an ATI card to get his system stable.

In fact there is currently a class action lawsuit underway by 8800 card owners suing Nvidia for not correcting the card issues.

You can take a look at these cards:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a316228.html

This card is already over clocked from factory and has one of the best stock cooler you can get.

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a291787.html

This GT you can run without a fan. I like it as noiseless as it can be.

You wont make a mistake if you buy a ATI card like the 3870 instead, the differences are marginal. What I read in the most Benches, that the 9600 is faster in the most applications if run with AA on.

Here a 3870 with fan less Cooler.

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a308146.html

What kind of chipset your Motherboard use? Maybe you can use in the future a SLI or a Crossfire configuration? You have two Pci-e slots?

"Fear" and "Prey" are open-gl based games, like BGE, if you want look for yourself at all those benchmarks on the net.

What kind of chipset your Motherboard use? Maybe you can use in the future a SLI or a Crossfire configuration? You have two Pci-e slots?

Unless you get a 3870X2, then you can run Crossfire even without a crossfire-enabled motherboard.

I am looking to bu from UK based stores... due to the fact i live five minutes away from cclonline main store im hoping to get from there... max price range is $375 (about £180).

Newegg.com delivers to the UK and their prices are MUCH, MUCH cheaper.

I'm telling you man, you could spend a lot less.

My single slot 8800GT runs fine; cool and quiet.

The noise is related to the size of the fan, not the size of the cooler. Newer 8800GTs use a slightly bigger fan which makes less noise and keeps the 8800GT cooler.

Since when? I didn't know they delivered to the UK? Last I checked they didn't even deliver to Canada.

Hmmm I didn't know that....

My single slot 8800GT runs fine; cool and quiet.

The noise is related to the size of the fan, not the size of the cooler. Newer 8800GTs use a slightly bigger fan which makes less noise and keeps the 8800GT cooler.

Can I ask you what you think is cool, 80°? And whats less noise? I play with my speakers, and every additional noise hurts my gaming experience.

It's only my actual 1950xt runs at over 85° when playing, and this is a dual-slot solution in a uber cooling tower and I still have sometimes temp problems in the summer time.

If others can life with such configs... no problem here, It's only my humble.. you know. ;)

Can I ask you what you think is cool' date=' 80°?[/quote']

Cool is ~40C idle and ~65-70C load.

I'll admit, however, that I can't say my results are typical; I'm using an Antec 900 case.

And whats less noise? I play with my speakers, and every additional noise hurts my gaming experience.

I feel the same way. The 8800GT's fan speed defaults at 30% and raises incrementally based on temperature. The fan noise is indistinguishable from my case fans.

It's only my actual 1950xt runs at over 85° when playing, and this is a dual-slot solution in a uber cooling tower and I still have sometimes temp problems in the summer time.

1950XT is an older card (first released in 2006) that has a larger die size (90nm), higher energy usage, and more heat output than the 8800GT's GPU (65nm).

The primary purpose of dual-slot cooling is to reduce heat (for higher clock speeds).

That being said, the 8800GT's first generation stock cooler was poorly designed and did indeed run hot and loud; not because it was single slot, but because the fan size was too small. The fan had to run at higher RPMs to cool the card sufficiently and thus made more noise and at a higher pitch because of its small size.

Second generation single-slot coolers for the 8800GT use a slightly larger fan which is quieter and more efficient.

As soon as you buy a new video card or you find you are having heating problems with a card you presently own. The best thing you can do to cool that card down is pull the heat sink off clean that crap thermal pads they use off of there and apply some arctic silver 5 in its place.

Once you reinstall said video card back in to the case you should see at least a 5-10 degree drop irregardless of the card in question. it is just like a cpu, make sure it is cleaned up, its not loose, and use the right thermal grease and heat problems shouldn't be a concern.

It always amazes me how people will spend a ton of money on the right grease cpu cooler fans and what not to cool down their CPU's yet just stare at the GPU's and want them to magically cool on their own.

Treat a GPU the same way you would your CPU and alot of these heating issues go by the way side.

MSI makes this overclocked version of the 8800gt 512meg that comes with a Zalman designed 2 slot cooling solution. It runs about 15 celcius cooler than most of the other 8800gt's.

It doesn't even cost any more than the other 8800gt 512's. $220/189 after rebate right now. It solves all those 80celcius load temp problems some are having. Just buy the right one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329

msi8800gt.jpg

msi-8800gt.jpg

lol i can get my 8800GTS into the lower 90's with stock cooling.

so what if there are 2 giant *** fans exchanging the air inside the case every 12 seconds.

[edit]

fdgsdfgis9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0