Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jimato

Intel or AMD Computer system

54 posts in this topic

I have the EVGA 789I mobo and have avoided any of the associated problems. I believe the boards are memory finicky and I run GSkill. You can get 3.6 with a simple OC of raising the FSB to 400 with the memory/fsb synced. 800DDR is happy at 400FSB. No voltage changes are needed.

To be fair he did say 50% more energy it needs not voltage. This is true, not only with voltage but simply when clock speeds go up wattage of the cpu goes up. It doesn't require an increase in voltage. Increasing the voltage makes power use go up faster than just increasing clock speed alone.

The numbers are so low though that's why you never see anyone talk about it. This is the first person I've ever heard complain about an overclocked cpu's power usage. Many of the CPU reviews lately at good websites like Tom's have been including a power usage break down. I don't feel like looking right now but I know the top end cpu's last year where up around the 100-125watt range for the 3ghz and over models AMD and intel. The mid range models where down around 50-60watts. That's for when it's at 100% load though. Computers spend very little time at 100% load.

Seriously though is anyone worried about burning 100 watts? Your microwave, refrigerator, hot water tank, stove, tv, electric heat if you have it, electric pumps and motors, and other high drain devices are what really cost you.

I have the EVGA 789I mobo and have avoided any of the associated problems. I believe the boards are memory finicky and I run GSkill. You can get 3.6 with a simple OC of raising the FSB to 400 with the memory/fsb synced. 800DDR is happy at 400FSB. No voltage changes are needed.

Most good ddr800 will hit 850-900 (425-450fsb) before it has any issues. If you feel like your ram might be limiting your overclock change the timings to 5,5,5,15 like all the other ddr1000-1200 and watch as your sticks run up past 1000mhz. That's what's cool about latency 4 800.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0