Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shamus1

? on WIN 98

5 posts in this topic

S!

Right now I'm running 1 Stick of 512 MEGS RAM on WIN 98 but my PC will not see the other stick of RAM:[.....wil up grading to Win XP resolve this problem?

TY in adavance

Shamus

Does your BIOS see the full 1GB? If your BIOS can see it, then WinXP should see it. If your BIOS does not see it, then no operating system will see it.

If you don't know how to get into your system BIOS, it's usually Delete or F10 or F2, and you have to hit it when the system first starts up, before you see windows screens.

It's a very common problem with Win98..there is a workaround though,where you can run up to 768MB stably. It does involve some registry tweaks in the Win.ini & System.ini files. I don't have the links handy that will walk you through it,but you should be able to find the info through a search. [meathed]

meathed is correct, but before you worry about that, make sure the BIOS sees the memory. If it doesn't, then there's nothing you can do to Win98 to make it see it.

It will see the full gig, but you must edit a system file. Do a google search on win 98 and more than 512 megs.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0