Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hardcase

Zalmon Fan 90mm..in Thermalake Case

14 posts in this topic

Has anyone use that big fan and if so will it fit into a full tower which has a fan on the door? Case and mobo are otw today and I have all the other stuff so the build will begin soon. BTW..can you point me to a good OC site for the 8400 duo Core 3gig?

Has anyone use that big fan and if so will it fit into a full tower which has a fan on the door? Case and mobo are otw today and I have all the other stuff so the build will begin soon. BTW..can you point me to a good OC site for the 8400 duo Core 3gig?

which thermal take case do you speak of?

Vantec's cut wood, now thats a man's fan. heh.

I had 3 90mm's going at one time in an older system of mine. If you turned them on full blast you couldnt hear yourself think.

Don't get a Zalman. They are decent. I own a 9500cnps. The problem is they are way louder for the same cooling power as the competition. They do look really cool though, hehe.

I can't see thermaltake building a case like that that's geared towards custom builders and not consider room for a large aftermarket air cooler. If they didn't they need to fire their case designers. Seriously, who's going to buy that case? Someone who is going for a tricked out custom machine. Of course they're going to want a big aftermarket cooler.

This cooler will outperform the Zalman by a couple of degrees, usually for cheaper, and it will be significantly quieter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887011

This one is also better performing, cheaper, and quieter than the Zalman9700.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154001

Check out this case. I've built with it. It's probably the highest quality case I've personally seen. All polished aluminum on the inside. The front door is 1/8" thick aluminum with metal hinges, rubber stoppers, a magnetic latch, and a nice lock. Great for roommates. I like the dual 120mm fans in the back. I bought an older version that had a clear panel on the side. The newer ones have a mesh vent.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233002

It just looks cool, not too flashy or gimicky. What is up with those plastic flanges to each side of the cd drive bays on the front of that thermaltake? That case just looks like too much bling for me. Thermaltakes are decent cases. I've built with them and they've never let me down, but I have to say the Gigabyte 3D aurora impressed me and I left the build wanting one for myself.

I just realized you are talking about my heat sink and you already have it. I didn't read it close enough. Well, I have a fan on the side of my case. It's a full tower and there's plenty of clearance. I think I could fit a 120mm Zalman 9700 in here most likely. Even if the fan was further up it would still clear the cooler by over an inch.

CopyofIMG_0646.jpg

Old pick, I've taken off the front door and got a new sound card since.

Just looking at stuff last night and put in the 750 watt supply from corsair. Depending on the location of the cpu the Zalman may clear the door fan, if not, I will run with it open. Lots of fans and slots for more.

You could also mount it on the outside of the door instead of the inside if it touches and it will still function the same. That will for sure give you enough clearance even if it looks a little strange.

Opened the mobo box and began reading..opened the fan and finally figured out the instructioins...very obscure and from the looks it iwll fit. I am waiting for a day time window to install the mobo cpus and vidcard to install windows. Doing it late at night makes me want to rush and I have been enjoying working the details on this one and finding time durinng the day is a problem with my mother here. Reading the mobo manual tonight.; I have built a lot of machines but I always rushed, made a fundamental error that bit me for a few hours and this is the first intel in a long while.

With that cpu heat sink you have to put it on the MB before you install the MB in the case. It has a backing plate to help support the weight and to receive the mounting screws.

I like to take the MB out of the box and set it right on top of the box it came in. I take it out of the anti static bag and place in on that bag. I mount the cpu, ram and heat sink on that box before the MB goes in.

The Zalman 9500 is a 92mm fan the 9700 is a 110mm fan.

BTW..can you point me to a good OC site for the 8400 duo Core 3gig?
I just checked for an all encompassing website had no luck finding it. i would just punch in the name of the MB and the chip with oc at the end and see what comes up and start reading from there.

I've had good luck with the MB support forums at abit. Some of those guys are real computer experts. It's the place I turn for overclocking questions. Asus probably has something similar. You go to the MB forums because then people have the same bios as you and can walk you through settings easier. You'll also have access to opinions on what bios version overclocks the best on your MB. Sometimes that can be important.

If you have specific questions fire away, even bios related or what not. I'm no overclocking noob and ramsey has his 8400@4ghz. You could do a lot worse for advise.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0