Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
insight

Game is broken.

13 posts in this topic

No, the whole TOE thing is fine, it works great, gameplay has never been better. Awesome work.

But after 7 years, the game still has fairly frequent CTDs and CTHLs. I've grown to expect at least one or two per gaming session, so it's usually not too big a deal....except for when they seem to happen at THE worst times. Like 2 minutes ago.

Macbook Pro, 2.33 GHz duo, 3GB ram, ATI Radeon x1600.

I also somewhat naively expected the CTDs would go away when I moved to a Mac.... While general performance has never been better for me, CTDs have never been worse.

Personally I have the opposite experience. Other than a few short periods the game has been as stable as a rock for me for years over three PCs. It has definitely been very stable for the past two years with any form of CTHL/CTD being rare.

There is a chance that your problem is related to your ISP. WWIIOL does not tolerate packet loss well so if your ISP drops packets regularly it can cause repeated CTD/CTHL even if other internet related software stays connected (eg Teamspeak). My ISP has been the major cause of problems with WWIIOL over the years.

cheers

Cavalier

Since I got a good DSL line, its very rare for me. Most likely your ISP. If you are on a wireless motem or router, big issue there too.

The only connection problems I have had with this game have not been the fault of the game.

Based on my experience and that of some squaddies it would seem that the game does have a particular hatred of wireless setups.

If wireless, try plugging directly into your router - I'll bet money that the problems go away.

No, the whole TOE thing is fine, it works great, gameplay has never been better. Awesome work.

I also somewhat naively expected the CTDs would go away when I moved to a Mac.... While general performance has never been better for me, CTDs have never been worse.

Mac's are just as fallable, if not more so than Windows PCs. The issue people tend not to realize is the limitations of what is compatible with a Mac due to market saturation vs. what is expected of Windows PCs due to PC saturation. The vast amount of variables in configurations, potential drivers and software choices is just staggering.

I never CTHL... ever... fact.

ARGH. I thought I put in code specifically to CTHL you, it looks like I got my logic wrong way around and it CTHLs everyone who isn't you!

There is a chance that your problem is related to your ISP. WWIIOL does not tolerate packet loss well so if your ISP drops packets regularly it can cause repeated CTD/CTHL even if other internet related software stays connected (eg Teamspeak). My ISP has been the major cause of problems with WWIIOL over the years.

cheers

Cavalier

QFT cuz well, it is true.

But after 7 years, the game still has fairly frequent CTDs and CTHLs. I've grown to expect at least one or two per gaming session, so it's usually not too big a deal....except for when they seem to happen at THE worst times. Like 2 minutes ago.

Macbook Pro, 2.33 GHz duo, 3GB ram, ATI Radeon x1600.

Mac....

You went from what I guess was a outdated PC to a mac.

i have a funky sound issue where i dont have any sound after i hit the ok button on the first screen about 50% of the time i boot up the game. put it in the support forums but none of changes i tried really helped.

just reboot til i have sounds.

ARGH. I thought I put in code specifically to CTHL you' date=' it looks like I got my logic wrong way around and it CTHLs everyone who isn't you![/quote']

I R t0 ub3r f0r j00!!11!

Yeah, sorry for the venting guys, I don't do it much here, but wasn't very thrilled when it happened yesterday. Of course, the game is incredible and the Rats have done an awesome job all this time, so I don't mean to belittle them in any way. Just seems really, really odd to me that this game is probably one of the only apps I've ever used on either platform in my 20+ years of computing that you can expect to CTD consistently.

Maybe it is my ISP, but I've gone from Roadrunner cable (at the old place, on a PC), to Verizon DSL (here at the new place, with the Mac). Also, my thinking that things might be better with the Mac is because there's just an infinite number of combinations for peripherals on the PC, and all of mine in the past were built from scratch, so I'd imagine there's all sorts of room for potential issues. With Macs, there's much more uniformity in the hardware setups, so I figured coding and debugging for the Mac would be somewhat easier to pull off.

Anyway, yesterday ended in good fun despite that CTD which ended a multi-ET killing mission with my 88 right outside of town. I went to a better spot with a pak38 when I joined the game again, completing the mission this time, and getting quite a handful more ETs killed. :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0