• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
viruses

Is it time?

16 posts in this topic

Is time to ditch my G5 tower for a new intel computer? Or should I wait a couple of more years?

Do it. Just make you get a decent one, core2duo or core2extreme with a minimum ati2600 and even better nvidia 8800.

I'm still playing on my dualg5 2,0/x800 and its marginally OK. My MBP (1st gen) is too slow at 1.67 CoreDuo with an anemic ati 1600. Even under windows it sucks.

The new iMacs should work very nicely. Maybe others here can testify to what they have.

Me, I waiting on buying a MacPro later this year. The G5 will become a file server or something.

Do it. Just make you get a decent one, core2duo or core2extreme with a minimum ati2600 and even better nvidia 8800.

I'm still playing on my dualg5 2,0/x800 and its marginally OK. My MBP (1st gen) is too slow at 1.67 CoreDuo with an anemic ati 1600. Even under windows it sucks.

The new iMacs should work very nicely. Maybe others here can testify to what they have.

Me, I waiting on buying a MacPro later this year. The G5 will become a file server or something.

My dual 1.2 G4 works just fine with 2 GB of RAM and 10.5.2. The only thing I need to do is get a better vid card to improve framerates, really.

I bought the first generation Alu-iMac high-end version (2.8GHz + ATI HD2600/256MB) last August and I am very very pleased.

If you go for the same iMac but with the now available Nvidia 8800 card (w/512MB) instead am I sure you wont be unsitisfied. :)

My dual 1.2 G4 works just fine with 2 GB of RAM and 10.5.2. The only thing I need to do is get a better vid card to improve framerates' date=' really.[/quote']

I'm amazed, what framerates do you see in battle towns? Flying?

My dual 1.2 G4 works just fine with 2 GB of RAM and 10.5.2. The only thing I need to do is get a better vid card to improve framerates' date=' really.[/quote']

I'm using a MBP 15" with a Dell monitor. Frame rates over battle towns while flying causes me to lag out massively (2-3fps). In the past when I was using 10.4+, it would never lag so badly. Also my audios are really weird, hits on objects sound like I'm right next to them. And rifle reports are just as random. Does a bigger Mac help with all these issues?

I'm amazed' date=' what framerates do you see in battle towns? Flying?[/quote']

That's the thing...with the stock 64MB ATI card that came in it, I'm getting 20 in battle towns, and 10 flying over. Like I said, I need a new vid card, but CPU-wise, I'm having zero problems. Net2 helped my framerate by utilizing the 2nd processor more, by the way. My 'base' framerate runs about 35 with that old card. My lows are no worse than some people talk about with new rigs, so I figure a lot of the problem is in the current graphics engine, rather than in the computers we're using.

I mean, literally, I can run through town with an SMG, with people shooting at me all over like in Namur Sat night, and it'll drop to like 22 from 35. I don't get massive drops much. I was in a flak trap, and was able to track planes fine to shoot at them with a 20mm aa gun. I saw a sapper's muzzle flash when he was firing at my squaddie's bofors, and was able to see him to shoot him with my rifle just fine. Framerate 27 with the bofors' HE going off in my FOV. With a new card, I'll be just fine.

This is what I am working with right now:

Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5

1GB DDR SDRAM

with a 9600 Radeon Video Card

This is what I am working with right now:

Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5

1GB DDR SDRAM

with a 9600 Radeon Video Card

Get more RAM first thing, IMO. WWIIOL likes to eat up the RAM. It uses up about as much as WoW does.

That's the thing...with the stock 64MB ATI card that came in it' date=' I'm getting 20 in battle towns, and 10 flying over...[/quote']

Yikes! icon10.gif

I've gotten as high as 200FPS on my Mac Pro and still had other strange performance problems- or suddenly CTD'd during a heated engagement. Sounds like it's mostly up to a reliable connection speed and a good installation on whatever hardware you have.

My old Dual 2GHz G5 was a great machine- I'd say it's not ready to retire just yet.

Yikes! icon10.gif

I've gotten as high as 200FPS on my Mac Pro and still had other strange performance problems- or suddenly CTD'd during a heated engagement. Sounds like it's mostly up to a reliable connection speed and a good installation on whatever hardware you have.

My old Dual 2GHz G5 was a great machine- I'd say it's not ready to retire just yet.

I've already reserved part of my 'stimulus' check for a new vid card :D

Don't know how much difference it makes for me, either, but I run OS on one HD, and game on the other...

For those thinking of upgrading to a new Mac you may want to wait till next year. Rumor has it that they will have blu-ray players which would be nice. That may not matter to you though.

Try playing with:

G4 933 Mhz

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Mb (upgraded Card)

1.2 Gb RAM

I live in the 2-7 FPS in built up/busy areas. At FBs, I can get up 10 - 12 FPS. If EI get close to me, I die (FPS drop/lag). In vehicles it isn't as bad.

I have two kids in college, so all the new Macs go to them.

Try playing with:

G4 933 Mhz

1.2 Gb RAM

I live in the 2-7 FPS in built up/busy areas. At FBs, I can get up 10 - 12 FPS. If EI get close to me, I die (FPS drop/lag). In vehicles it isn't as bad.

Ouch! That's rough. I have a old 867 G4 I used to play with a long time ago. I can't imagine playing with it now. It spends it's time doing folding@home now. My G5 does to but it does other things too.

Try playing with:

G4 933 Mhz

1.2 Gb RAM

Double yikes, you win the record for the crummiest mac still playing! The answer is - get the kids a job :-)

Heck that is pretty awful. I remember about 4 years ago I ran my old iMac Flat panel. Boy I loved that sucker when I flied back in 1.8 (12-14 FPS).

I even remembered the specs!

800 Mhz

768 RAM

Geforce 2MX

Still have the computer the too.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0