Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
layzboy

Just ordered me an Ati 4850

43 posts in this topic

After I read about it beating the 9800gtx in nearly every gaming benchmark at 3dguru.com. It should be here on Tuesday. I went for the Asus version.

It's 10fps faster in call of duty 4 at 1280x1024. Not surprisingly rumor has it that nvidia will drop the price of the 9800gtx to $200 to match the 4850 which is a slightly better performer in a number of games at most resolutions.

http://guru3d.com/article/amd-ati-radeon-hd-4850-review-force-3d--powercolor/

Bye bye Nvidia

Im waiting till Xmas to upgrade,but prob go with a 4870

4870x2 will be king of the hill by then I'd bet :D

Nvidia seems real serious about competing. They immediately lowered the price of the 9800gtx to $199. Seeing as you can get the overclocked versions for $199 and all you can get is reference 4850's right now, the 9800gtx is a heck of a deal. The OC versions beat the 4850 slightly in the majority of games however rumor has it that most 4850's are hitting 700mhz core 2300vram with the Ati overclocking utility.

You can bet that when you do buy it will be a toss up between the two. Nvidia will most likely be forced to lower the price of the GTX 280 to match the 4870 when it comes out. I think the 280's place in the $650 slot will be short lived. Nvidia will probably follow with a GX2 version of the 280 to take it's spot when it drops down to $350 to compete with the 4870.

Finally nVidia are a little scared again. Competition works well for us :)

Within months they will have a 55nm version of the 2xx cards. As soon as that happens they will probably drop prices down to compete with the 4870.

I can't see the 4870 matching the 280 in performance but hopefully it will be better then the 260 or atleast matching it. That way nVidia will be forced to have the 260 the same price as the 4870 and the 280 just above that.

There's an article up at tweaktown.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1470/8/page_8_benchmarks_crysis/index.html

2 4850's in crossfire is almost as fast as the new GTX 280 and it's $250 cheaper. Only behind by 3fps in crysis at 1280x1024 and less than 1fps difference at 1920x1200.

ATI might be ready to drop a big bombshell with the 4870. We know that they are capable of releasing a card clocked in the 800mhz range. The 4850 is being released at only 625mhz and 1900vram. At those low clock speeds its capable of keeping up with cards running faster. What happens when you release the same architecture clocked faster than everyone else? The 3870 already had some 825mhz versions. Team that kind of core clock up with GDDR5 vram speeds and it's going to really haul ***.

That's stunning crossfire performance. I'd seen other benchmarks (probably fake) that showed it not doing anywhere near that well in xfire.

Can't wait to see 4870 performance now. Something tells me that 4870 in xfire will be the best possible setup you can get now.

Well, I've been an Nvidia fanboy ever since my trusty old 9800PRO died some years back.

.......but ATI totally blew my socks off with the HD4850.... Incredible price, and not all that far off from the GTX280 (without the stupidly high price tag).

Not only that, but they have DX10.1 support, while Nvidia inexplicably offers no support for it yet, even with the GTX 200 series cards....

I'll admit, I'm seriously thinking about switching to ATI for my next video card purchase.

Competition works well for us :)

You got that right. Price-cuts, here we come!!

There's already a vmod posted at Xtreme systems, before the card even came out... heh. I like the way he did it with the jumper to turn it off when you want.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3057333

I haven't browsed the tweaking sites in a while but apparently the 3870 was capable of over 1ghz speeds with a similar vmod. The 4850 has yet to have been tested beyond 700mhz because the only available overclocking utility for the 4850 maxes out at 700.

You would need some kind of aftermarket cooling solution. I'm told the 4850 has the same mounting system as the 3800 series.

You would need some kind of aftermarket cooling solution. I'm told the 4850 has the same mounting system as the 3800 series.

Do you know if the HR-03 R600 would fit on it?

I'm looking forward to the 4870 and it's GDDR5 RAM. 3,6 Gb Bandwidth is impressive. Means you get high quality for fewer performance drops.

Is it any good?

I have an ATI x1900xt 256 Mb think I will switch to this baby..

It's a great card, though since I live in Alaska, I haven't got mine yet. ETA is Thursday according to fedeX. I'm upgrading from an x1950pro. If you've read the reviews, the new card is about equal to the 9800gtx. Probably over a 50% performance increase from the 1900 series.

Don't fret nvidia is worried and will be throwing the budget fanboi's a bone.

First they reduced the price of the 9800gtx to $199. In a few weeks rumor has it that they will be releasing a new version of the 9800gtx called the 9800gtx+. It will feature a the same gpu on a smaller die (55nm) and it will be factory clocked significantly faster than the current OC versions. That makes it great competition for the 4870. Supposedly they will price it in the $230 range to undercut the 4870. At $230 it might be the card to buy price/fps wise.

new egg has a special on them

Order this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121253&Tpk=ASUS%2bEAH4850

Put in this code VGA62320 and get 20 bucks off making it 179.

Then go here

http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/rebate/SH/ASUS14-121-253Jun19July15lt12.pdf

and get 30 Buck rebate.

149 total when your done. I just ordered mine this morning.

Don't fret nvidia is worried and will be throwing the budget fanboi's a bone.

First they reduced the price of the 9800gtx to $199. In a few weeks rumor has it that they will be releasing a new version of the 9800gtx called the 9800gtx+. It will feature a the same gpu on a smaller die (55nm) and it will be factory clocked significantly faster than the current OC versions. That makes it great competition for the 4870. Supposedly they will price it in the $230 range to undercut the 4870. At $230 it might be the card to buy price/fps wise.

Unfortunately the Nvidia 9800 GTX+ comes with clock speeds similar to the Factory OC'd 9800GTX's .

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3340

Though it would be interesting to see if Nvidia's partners will release OC'd 9800GTX+'s.

new egg has a special on them

Order this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121253&Tpk=ASUS%2bEAH4850

Put in this code VGA62320 and get 20 bucks off making it 179.

Then go here

http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/rebate/SH/ASUS14-121-253Jun19July15lt12.pdf

and get 30 Buck rebate.

149 total when your done. I just ordered mine this morning.

Thanks for the link on that rebate. I'm eligible for the $30 one from Asus, but I already ordered last Friday so I can't use the code.

How did you get that rebate code? When I pull it up it says $199 with only a rebate if you buy a specific MB with it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0