Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
layzboy

Just ordered me an Ati 4850

43 posts in this topic

3 hours later i still fighting with this 4850 .....cant launch game yet..GRRRRRRRRRRR

CJ

Thanks for the link on that rebate. I'm eligible for the $30 one from Asus, but I already ordered last Friday so I can't use the code.

How did you get that rebate code? When I pull it up it says $199 with only a rebate if you buy a specific MB with it.

From here

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1319073

I put the CODE in the coupon code box at the order part and it took it.

3 hours later i still fighting with this 4850 .....cant launch game yet..GRRRRRRRRRRR

CJ

WW2ol probably doesn't like crossfire. In a few of the reviews I read they said that some games straight up wouldn't boot with crossfire.

Try with only 1 card.

Which brand did you get?

Same as you..and didnt install second card ..

The error is "ATI ATIKMDAG Error"

Shall do a clean install of windows and Be ..

Just to see whats happens

CJ

Same as you..and didnt install second card ..

The error is "ATI ATIKMDAG Error"

Shall do a clean install of windows and Be ..

Just to see whats happens

CJ

I assume you googled that error cultjon? There's a lot of info on it. It seems to be a vista problem. I found one solution. I think there's more. It's worth a try.

My System Engineer and I have after many headaches and ALOT of tylenol have Identified the apparent Cause of this Problem.

What it is Not -

Vista ( 32bit or 64bit ), XP ( 32bit or 64bit ), .NET framework, System Memory, Heat, Dual Monitors ( Extended Desktop or Clone Mode ) .

What it appears to be -

The ATI CATALYST CONTROL PANEL SOFTWARE ( Not the Stand Alone Driver )

Basis For Conclusion -

We tested all My Systems ( 4 of them ,2 XP ( 1 64bit and 1 32bit ) 2 VISTA Ultimate ( 1 32bit and 1 64bit ) from the ground up with NUMEROUS CLEAN installs of the BASE OS to try and reproduce the Error After every Software install. We did this with the OS Updated and With the OS Naked. The Error only Occured AFTER installing the CATALYST CONTROL PANEL SOFTWARE.

We then Did Clean installs on All the Systems and Installed ONLY the CATALYST SOFTWARE to see if it was a Conflict with any other software.

The Error occured Almost Immediatly.

We then Purged the Systems of All ATI Software and Tried to install the Software in the Individual packages the ATI does Provide. As soon as we installed the CATALYST CONTROL PANEL SOFTWARE the ERROR Occured.

We thenPurged the Systems again of the ATI SOFTWARE and Installed ONLY THE DRIVER. We ran the Systems for 2 weeks the ATIKMDAG HAS STOPPED RESPONDING AND RECOVERED Error did not reassert itself.

If you have the CATALYST CONTROL PANEL INSTALLED and Do a Seach of Your Primary hard Drive you will Find that the ATIKMDAG.SV file is ONLY found in the CATALYST CONTROL PANEL SOFTWARE PACKAGE.

If you Remove the CATALYST CONTROL PANEL you will remove ATIKMDAG.SV from your System and this solves at least this Issue.

The problem seems to be an encoding error in how the CATALYST control Panel Software Interacts with ICQ's in relation to The OS instructions.

It should be Noted that ATI apparently is aware of the Issue as they Offer a Standalone Download of the Graphics Driver even thought they will not Officially Acknowledge the Issue.

My System Engineer and I both have Notified ATI of our Findings. They have not responded.

OF NOTE -

Graphics Performance Does not appear to suffer when runnig ONLY the Graphics Driver. The Only Differance is that You Can Not use the Features that the CATALYST CONTROL PANEL SOFTWARE provides. However for graphics Stability it is a Small Price to pay.

Also Before you Chuck your ATI graphics Card For an NVIDIA Graphics Card note that NVIDIA Graphics Cards Present a Simalar Error and More Importantly NVIDIA DOES NOT OFFER a Standalone DRIVER, you take thier CONTROL PANEL or Nothing.

Hopefully ATI will address this issue in a Newer Release of the CATALYST CONTROL PANEL.

Mobo - INTEL X38BT

CPU - INTEL QX6850 QuadCore 3Ghz

Ram - 8GB ( 4 x 2GB ) OCZ DDR3 Platnium Editon 1333Mhz

Sound - X-FI Fatality Pro Edition

Graphics - ATI RADEON 3870 512mb GDDR 4

Storage - 2 WD Enterprise Editon 500 GB W/RAFF

Chassis - THERMATAKE ARMOR LCS

WaterCooling - CPU, NorthBridge, Graphics

Try this, casey:

a very simple way I have found to bypass the problem is this:

start your system up, let it load, then simply logoff. Log back on.

Problem completely goes away for me no matter what and doesn't return until

you restart the system.

At which point you can simply just log off and log on again and be good to

go.

If this helps anybody else, please let me know. I have currently been

investigating and going back and forth with high level Microsoft support for

several weeks now. There are aware of, and are investigating this issue. They

acknowledge my fix.... that a log off and log on temporarily solves the

issue.

Brian

At my pc, it works fine

jrk

SP1 for vista is rumored to fix it.

Did you find this site?

http://www.repairyourpcnow.com/resources/atikmdag-has-stopped-responding.php

Apparently it's not just ATI.

This error has been a constant problem on my new PC for the last 8 months. This particular error exists on both ATI and Nvidia cards and on a whole range of different PC builds.

The error you receive on the cards is different because obviously the driver that stops has a different name, but the symptom is the same, the screen will go blank and then sometimes the game/application will recover or it may crash. A small message will appear on the bottom right hand side of your screen if you are using Vista.

ATI Cards: Atikmdag has stopped responding and has successfully recovered

Nvidia Cards: nvlddmkm has stopped responding and has successfully recovered

This page contains all the information I have collected and possible fixes and puts them in one place.

There's 6 different fixes for your problem at the link and a bunch of people talking about how the fixes worked for them. I'm hoping xp doesn't give me the issue. My card is supposed to get here today.

Any test resolt yet in game guys.....:)

I'm in game with my 4850. It runs great. I got 40,100 on 3d mark01 2nd ed. It was the only bench I had installed. I'm in Boz with a fair amount of people with 50-70 fps looking at town. I'm up about 20-40fps on the low end from my x1950pro. Haven't done any flying yet I'll report back later.

The driver seems slightly flaky. I went to download the newest from AMD when I opened it up and they didn't even have the 4800 series listed in their driver downloads. I used the one off the disk. That's the first time I've ever done that. I always just download the latest. I had 1 ctd so far but my isp seemed really off too. I had a lot of packet loss so that may have something to do with it. My fps is way up. I'm running around town at 60 fps. I might have to try with AA on.

Thanks layzboy good to know..think i will bye the 4850 after the summer...:)

Then it will be even cheaper then now and maybe have versions with a 3:ed part cooler...

Just a heads up that may help make your brand decision for you if you're thinking about buying a 4850 right now. The asus version with the rebates linked in this thread is only $150.

The Asus version also comes with a video capturing program specifically made for capturing gaming, if you're into making movies. It's called gamerOSD. I haven't used it yet but that's a big plus IMO. I'm hoping it doesn't sap as much performance as fraps or possibly have smaller file sizes once captured.

Now i have only GPU drivers installed ..and took away CCC

And have steady 60 FPS all over...

CJ

Yep this card really plays ww2 nice. I used the Ati overdrive to overclock it to 660mhz core 2200mhz vram, no problems at all. It's not even running hot which everyone online was saying it does. I have a 120mm fan right on the side door of my case blowing in on it. and I removed the pci slot cover right underneath it. That seems to keep it really cool.

I got 40,000 in 3dmark 03, and 16,000 in '05.

Yep this card really plays ww2 nice. I used the Ati overdrive to overclock it to 660mhz core 2200mhz vram, no problems at all. It's not even running hot which everyone online was saying it does. I have a 120mm fan right on the side door of my case blowing in on it. and I removed the pci slot cover right underneath it. That seems to keep it really cool.

I got 40,000 in 3dmark 03, and 16,000 in '05.

I don't know how this isn't running hot. I just got the card and when I've done that auto tune with this ati overdrive the thing can burn my hand. I have a large fan blowing air on it as well. we'll see how she holds up. Yours is ASUS right? that one from newegg?

I currently have a overclocked 512mb Geforce 6800 on a 3.4 processor with 1,024 mb ram (can't remember what type of top of my head). will upgrading to Nvidia 9800gtx make wwiionline run smoother, or should I just buy more ram? lol...

I don't know how this isn't running hot. I just got the card and when I've done that auto tune with this ati overdrive the thing can burn my hand. I have a large fan blowing air on it as well. we'll see how she holds up. Yours is ASUS right? that one from newegg?

Use Asus smartdoc to check temps don't touch it with your hand. You could arc a spark onto it. Even if it's only running like 55 celcius, which isn't hot at all, that can feel like it's burning your hand.

I do live in Alaska so I don't have to deal with really hot room temps much. I've got it up to 680mhz core now totally stable. The asus version comes with a temp monitoring program called Asus smartdoctor. In there you can adjust the fan speed. I have it at 55%. There's options for smart fan operations where if it starts to get warm you can make it automatically raise the fan speed. The fan is crazy loud at 100%.

I tried the ati overdrive thing and it worked ok but you can also overclock with the asus smartdoc. Both have the same 700mhz limit on the core which the thing will run fine. Honestly I think I might spring for an aftermarket cooler in the next 6 months and do the volt mod. I bet this thing will hit 750 easy or higher after that. The 3850 was capable of 1.1ghz after the volt mod with a good cooler.

With mine at 55% fan speed and overclocked to 680/2200 it idles at 43 degrees celcius. When I'm logged in to ww2 I alt tab and check the temp occationally. It hasn't been over 50 yet. People online where talking about 70+ celcius. They must have crap airflow in the case. Unless my temp monitoring software is lying to me this thing is running quite cool.

You probably noticed that it dumps hot air in the case with no grill to the outside. Because of that I removed the pci slot cover directly underneath it. Between the fan blowing in on the side and that empty slot I get a nice breeze. So no hot air can pool up under it. I also have a small squirrel cage fan that goes in the pci slot I might add later.

It's a good card but I'm surprised you bought one. You should have saved up a little for a new cpu/mb/ram/psu first. You're going to be cpu limited even though your video card is capable of much more. I guess it's got the newest slot and if you do decide to update the rest of your parts you can just move it over to the new comp.

I knew I should have waited a bit.

The 3870X2 is a great card, no doubt about that, and I'm pretty sure my X2 5200+ is bottlenecking it a bit, but still... since the 4870 doesn't cost more than the 3870 did and is a lot better..

Oh well, maybe I can sell it so I can get a 4870X2 when it arrives. :rolleyes:

You can use Accelero S1 Rev. 2 cooler with the new Ati cards. I have the same cooler on my 8800gt currently and it totally rocks. That is if you are overclocking. High temperature with out overclocking doesn't mean anything.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0